Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:47 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,318 times

Advertisements

While I certainly agree that military spouses contribute significantly to the success of the active duty member, I have never understood those who "wear the rank" of the person who puts the uniform on every day. The writer of this question certainly seems to be one of those spouses and the response from this Navy Capt is priceless..

http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/pr...1152009A28.pdf

Last edited by irisheyes13; 03-15-2009 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
I'd serve under that CAPT any day!!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:43 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
While I certainly agree that military spouses contribute significantly to the success of the active duty member, I have never understood those who "wear the rank" of the person who puts the uniform on every day. The writer of this question certainly seems to be one of those spouses and the response from this Navy Capt is priceless..

http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/pr...1152009A28.pdf
What I like is that this Captain let it fly and did so in the face of a politically correct society. My kinda Skipper!

This was discussed at length on a Navy web site I'm a member of with some mixed responses. It went along these lines.
Salute the sticker not the person, she didn't earn the rank therefore she is not entitled to a salute. The CPT. was wrong no, he was right...

One of the first things I noticed is that this CWO's (Chief Warrant Officer) didn't even use the correct terminology.
A salute is not "surrendered" but rendered, as all military personnel know.
The first in many mistakes in this column.

I'm sure the CWO got an ear full from his command on his wife's journalistic exploits. I would further wage her letter writing days are over.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:14 PM

I found the use of "surrendered" interesting myself.. I have always believed in the "when in doubt, salute" policy but when you are showing your I.D. cards, there is no doubt.. For those that say salute the sticker, I wonder if they salute empty vehicles with stickers on them..

Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Not sure about the other services, but the USAF is doing away with Base Entry decals. I'll actaully miss 'em because I like being able to recognize my fellow military vets (as well as those still on active duty!) The USAF's reasoning is the cost isn't justified, especially since 100% I.D. check is in place nowadays. Haven't been on base for awhile, buit getting a base pass was always a pain...

Old 03-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Not sure about the other services, but the USAF is doing away with Base Entry decals. I'll actaully miss 'em because I like being able to recognize my fellow military vets (as well as those still on active duty!) The USAF's reasoning is the cost isn't justified, especially since 100% I.D. check is in place nowadays. Haven't been on base for awhile, buit getting a base pass was always a pain...
You are right Crew chief, no decal, no issue for this woman.. I live in an area with a heavy concentration of all services and as of right now, we are being told that the other services are not getting rid of the decals. I am retired AF and live very close to an Army installation where I shop and go for medical care so I had to register my car there when my decals expired. I just learned though that the local AFB's here have gone back to issuing decals because it was gettiing so difficult for members to gain access to the other military bases (had to use certain gates etc).

Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Not sure about the other services, but the USAF is doing away with Base Entry decals.
...except ACC who is bound and determined to cling as long as possible

Quote:
Haven't been on base for awhile, buit getting a base pass was always a pain...
Not nearly as much of a pain as having to stop and show your ID every single freakin time you enter a base. oh well

Anyway props to the Capt's response. I have always hated wives (or secretaries) who act like they had the rank of "their' O-6+. Snotty morons, get a life.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:56 AM

Guess I've seen 'em all:

- My wife's experience with the NCO Wive's Club (before they became Spouses clubs...) at one base was priceless. She looks considerably younger than her age. At her first meeting, she got an attitude from the wife of a SSgt. The woman quickly changed her tune when my wife told her I was a MSgt...

- On the other hand, some of the most down-to-earth, wonderful wives we've encountered have been those of the base's Senior Officers.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 AM

948 posts, read 3,356,385 times
Default I know the type

These women are alive and everywhere. I saw firsthand how they proudly wore the rank of their spouse. The C.O's wifes were bad, but sometimes the XO's wife was the real b****. As a junior officer's wife, I was subjected to the pecking order and rec'd many calls directing me to do xyz, and often on a moment's notice. I finally had it when I got a call from an admiral's wife telling me to come to an ettiquette class she was hosting. Thank God, I had a hard to come by doctor's apt. and had a pass on that one.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
These women are alive and everywhere. I saw firsthand how they proudly wore the rank of their spouse. The C.O's wifes were bad, but sometimes the XO's wife was the real b****. As a junior officer's wife, I was subjected to the pecking order and rec'd many calls directing me to do xyz, and often on a moment's notice. I finally had it when I got a call from an admiral's wife telling me to come to an ettiquette class she was hosting. Thank God, I had a hard to come by doctor's apt. and had a pass on that one.
Yes, unfortunately, "traditions" die hard... As I was retiring, I read about a Colonel's wife (Don't remember the base) who was getting a hard time because she chose to follow her OWN career path vs. supporting her husaband's squadron. (And this was in the mid-1990's...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues