Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM

106 posts, read 381,908 times

Advertisements

I leave for Basic/AIT in Ft. Leonard Wood this summer and I was wondering what I should expect from it. I know that its not going to be a walk in the park...Im a pretty quite guy and dont really say a whole lot. Will this help? My MOS is 31B if that helps any also. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,135 times
First of all, congratulations! I salute you. I will say that here at Ft. Bliss where I am stationed my office is across the street from the AIT battalion. I do feel very proud of those Soldiers knowing they enlisted during war time. It takes guts to enlist knowing there is the possiblity to join the war front.

Now, as far as what tips I can give you:

1. Listen and ask questions when you are not sure what you need to do. It is better to upset someone for asking to many questions than getting someone upset because you screwed up and the whole company paid the price.
2. Pay attention to detail
3. Follow orders. You may ask a question to clarify an order. Under training environment like basic training and AIT I recommend you do not question orders with contemptous WHY, just do it.
4. Help your buddies
5. It does not harm to volunteer to do details. No, I am saying you brown nose. I am saying that you learn to be a team player.
6. Learn to be a team player. Under certain conditions you may compete against your peers but when it comes to the mission as a team, be a team player.
7. Take care of your equipment so it is ready for use. That includes you. Your body and mind are part of the Army machine. If you do not take care of yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, the mission may be affected.
8. Take care of all your financial obligations, legal obligations, etc. that may interfere with your training. You want to be fully concentrated to learn everything they teach you and train you and not be side tracked due to some problem at home.
8. From day way learn to be a leader. Do not wait until you become an NCO to learn about leadership. Read the leadership Field Manual and study how to lead Soldiers. For now I will tell you that if you make it a habit of the things I told you above you will be a good leader.
9. Practive, practice, practice. Everythings they teach you an training you for, practice it either physically and/or mentally.
10. Give it your best on everything you do and you are told to do.
11. Strive for high quality and performace. Do not get into "this is good enoug" mentality.

If you have any further question, do not hesitate contacting me. I will also say this; I will always be available for you for as long as I am alive. Mentoring is the duty of all NCOs.

As far as Ft. Leonard Wood, I was stationed there. It is a beautiful area. Enjoy the site. We can leave other tips and suggestions later if you want but for now I just covered what you asked.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,490 times
Head out to basic and AIT with an open mind, keep a low profile, and do what you are told to do and the way they tell you to do it. You will within the first few weeks mesh with buddies and get the hang of things. It also helps if you can shed any emotional baggage from home as this makes life more difficult to a lot of recruits. I also am a 31B still serving, though I went through when it was 95B at Fort McClellan, Al almost thirty years ago. Good luck as in the end you will find it to be a worthwhile and memorable experience.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,068 times
Take it one moment at a time. Basic will be over sooner than you think. Good luck. Thank you.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:03 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
First of all, congratulations! I salute you. I will say that here at Ft. Bliss where I am stationed my office is across the street from the AIT battalion. I do feel very proud of those Soldiers knowing they enlisted during war time. It takes guts to enlist knowing there is the possiblity to join the war front.

Now, as far as what tips I can give you:

1. Listen and ask questions when you are not sure what you need to do. It is better to upset someone for asking to many questions than getting someone upset because you screwed up and the whole company paid the price.
2. Pay attention to detail
3. Follow orders. You may ask a question to clarify an order. Under training environment like basic training and AIT I recommend you do not question orders with contemptous WHY, just do it.
4. Help your buddies
5. It does not harm to volunteer to do details. No, I am saying you brown nose. I am saying that you learn to be a team player.
6. Learn to be a team player. Under certain conditions you may compete against your peers but when it comes to the mission as a team, be a team player.
7. Take care of your equipment so it is ready for use. That includes you. Your body and mind are part of the Army machine. If you do not take care of yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, the mission may be affected.
8. Take care of all your financial obligations, legal obligations, etc. that may interfere with your training. You want to be fully concentrated to learn everything they teach you and train you and not be side tracked due to some problem at home.
8. From day way learn to be a leader. Do not wait until you become an NCO to learn about leadership. Read the leadership Field Manual and study how to lead Soldiers. For now I will tell you that if you make it a habit of the things I told you above you will be a good leader.
9. Practive, practice, practice. Everythings they teach you an training you for, practice it either physically and/or mentally.
10. Give it your best on everything you do and you are told to do.
11. Strive for high quality and performace. Do not get into "this is good enoug" mentality.

If you have any further question, do not hesitate contacting me. I will also say this; I will always be available for you for as long as I am alive. Mentoring is the duty of all NCOs.

As far as Ft. Leonard Wood, I was stationed there. It is a beautiful area. Enjoy the site. We can leave other tips and suggestions later if you want but for now I just covered what you asked.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Never scratch an itch while at attention or while marching!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:16 PM

14 posts, read 28,529 times
I also admire you for enlisting during wartime, congrats. When the Drill Sgt's. are in your face, don't take it too personal unless you really screwed up. They are doing it for a reason, not because they hate you. Don't give up, it gets better in AIT. After you get to you're first duty station, get as much schooling as you can. Whether it be military or civilian(if it's available where you're at). If you aren't planning to make the military a career, it will help you when you get out. If you are planning on making a career out of the military, it goes toward promotions, and impresses the CO. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Get your voice volume up because you will want to scream loud;Yes Drill Sargeant.Get in shape now and satrt running evryday. being in shape makes things alot easier.If your overweight they will get it offfyou ;just had a neigbors son-in-law finish basic sevaerl months ago and lost 35 lbs. he now in Afganistan and when he called about a week ago he had been there for three weeks. He had been on guarad and shot two terrosist trying to sneek in with bombs strppped to theirselfs. Two others on guard that were in tower had fell asleep;their butts are in seroius trouble because they should have gotten them first when the alarm went off he said.So take your training seriously ;it may save you life.Good luick and thanks for serving.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,068 times
Great advice, Texdav.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,070 times
My personal favorite piece of advice is in Basic, do your best to be invisible. If your Drill SGT knows your name in most instances it's not a good thing. Keep your head down and do your best. Also remember that BMT is mostly mental. Go in with that in mind - they are there to shape you mentally. Yes, it will be physical, but mental is the name of the game.

AIT is your time to shine. Do your best and learn EVERYTHING you can about your MOS. Additionally, in your career never stop learning.

Side note: Also, do not look around while at attention. Furthermore, if you get caught glancing out of the corner of your eye at the Drill, and he asks you what you are looking at DO NOT say nothing

Old 04-10-2009, 11:49 AM

106 posts, read 381,908 times
Thx for all of the advice. I will most definatly use it when I leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues