Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy_ed View Post
update for poncho do your research cause lead only stays in ur blood for a short period of time before leaving your body however the damage that it causes stays with you forever.
Sounds like your recommendation is do nothing...

What part of this did you not understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
"If you are concerned about lead exposure, please talk to your health care provider. A simple blood test is all that is needed to determine if you have an elevated lead level."

And

Read This Page and contact them: Lead - War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC)

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-06-2015 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 7,296 times
Does anyone know what the "Blue Death" primer was called and who manufactured it. I am interested in what it contained as I as a boatswain used it a lot for our boats in the Coast Guard.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgboatswain View Post
Does anyone know what the "Blue Death" primer was called and who manufactured it. I am interested in what it contained as I as a boatswain used it a lot for our boats in the Coast Guard.
Hadn't heard of this. I do remember a light blue to green primer that we used. It was very toxic and if left in a can would completely harden overnight into a hard rubbery block. I keep forgetting to mention my lead exposure to my VA doctor since I've been getting treated for my shoulder. Will try to remember to bring it up at my next appointment. From what I've read, lead can stay in the body for decades in the bones. I'm concerned because when we were chipping paint, we didn't have even the most basic dust mask. My nose was filled with paint chips. Glad my employer does chest X-rays once every three years.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,264 times
Default the effects of red lead pain

My name is Samuel Jones I serve the board to USS Bennington doing the Vietnam War I worked as a boatswain mate and I've painted freshwater tanks with red lead based paint breathing down there was very difficult we did not have protective gear now I have lost half of my stomach I'm suffering from high blood pressure stiffness and headaches I have a spot on my left lung and gross on my kidney and a enlarged liver I have been fighting the VA for 7 years I've seen several studies indicating the Navy had knowledge of red lead paint and the dangers it has ruined my life I hope to hear some other sales that have been adversely affected

Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy555 View Post
My name is Samuel Jones I serve the board to USS Bennington doing the Vietnam War I worked as a boatswain mate and I've painted freshwater tanks with red lead based paint breathing down there was very difficult we did not have protective gear now I have lost half of my stomach I'm suffering from high blood pressure stiffness and headaches I have a spot on my left lung and gross on my kidney and a enlarged liver I have been fighting the VA for 7 years I've seen several studies indicating the Navy had knowledge of red lead paint and the dangers it has ruined my life I hope to hear some other sales that have been adversely affected
I wasn't exposed as much as you. I was a machinist mate working in the engine room. I'm going to bring this up with the VA at my next appointment. Have you tried to talk to some veterans' support organizations? I'm lucky that my current employer does X-rays of the lungs every 3 years since I started working there 13 years ago. My job includes potential exposure to asbestos and chemicals. Two years ago my dad died of stage four lung cancer. He was born in 1944 and served on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier during Vietnam. We couldn't prove his exposure during the Navy was the cause because of the years he worked construction and offshore oil rigs.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 AM

493 posts, read 782,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hadn't heard of this. I do remember a light blue to green primer that we used. It was very toxic and if left in a can would completely harden overnight into a hard rubbery block. I keep forgetting to mention my lead exposure to my VA doctor since I've been getting treated for my shoulder. Will try to remember to bring it up at my next appointment. From what I've read, lead can stay in the body for decades in the bones. I'm concerned because when we were chipping paint, we didn't have even the most basic dust mask. My nose was filled with paint chips. Glad my employer does chest X-rays once every three years.
hello everyone, 4 year active duty coast guard sailor here.

aboard my first ship we were still using "red lead' in the very early 90s when it was already supposedly banned.

when i made bm3 and went to my next ship in 92, the red lead was gone but that green stuff that sailordave describes sounds like the 2 part epoxy primer, nasty stuff too. without proper protection it had to be more damaging than the red lead.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM

493 posts, read 782,871 times
many of us with substantial sea time are going to be experiencing joint pain as we get older, even without help from the effects lead exposure. for years every step we took was on solid steel. and if you were like me when you were in youre late teens/early twenties you just wore the same boots they gave us in bootcamp and didnt know/care about wearing the proper footwear

Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,194 times
Default Any Luck ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbasedpaint View Post
i was on the uss kearsarege in 1969 helped decommission it, by sanding lead based paint and primar with orange lead. my body was covered from head to toe with the dust.i was a bosun mate and that was our job.i have every symptom there is from being exposed to lead and i am fighting the v.a. and have been now for about 11 years.stay in contact and i will too.
Hi , my name is Craig, I was wondering if youve had any luck with the VA concerning your lead exposure ? Ive got parkinsons and im trying to link to my service in the navy.
thanks for your time. my e-mail is [EMAIL="crazycraig@rocketmail.com"]crazycraig@rocketmail.com[/EMAIL]

Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 PM

99 posts, read 231,377 times
Red lead on the dungarees was a "badge" that told others when on base you were a fleet sailor.

I believe the name of the stuff used to paint the aluminum superstructure was zinc chromate.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,581 times
Have been fighting VA since '08 for exposure to elements of lead based paints and red lead preservatives. Served '68 to '71 in USN. Have been diagnosed with severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. Found studies that relate exposure to RA but not much from Govmt. Anyone have any info ? Have BVA 06-11-13.. jchudson2@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues