U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 AM

93 posts, read 186,777 times

Advertisements

Of your list, the only place we have been is Mountain Home AFB in Idaho. We loved it. My husband enjoyed work and we loved the area. It remains my favorite of the places we have been stationed!

It is a small town and we loved the camping, fishing, hiking, etc. There are some restaurants in town, but Boise is not a bad drive and has a lot to offer. We found the people to be friendly and made lifelong friends that we continue to have contact with and visit. We also have military friends who have retired in the area and we hope to make our home there after my husband retires.

Good luck with the assignment process. It is hard when you don't like your work environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,902,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyandPunctual View Post
Good luck with the assignment process. It is hard when you don't like your work environment.
Well.... it is the military, not Burger King, you don't get to "have it your way" every time....j/k

Old 04-20-2009, 03:19 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,902,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls8195 View Post
I use to be stationed in New Orleans and went a Barksdale a few times up in Shreveport and I would also stay away, just the area, and Louisiana in general.
Ah come on, it ain't THAT bad. And to compare the Belle Chase area, or NOLA in general with Shreveport/Bossier City is quite disingenuous. A poster before you even spoke of Shreveport as " not recovered yet" as to imply it got hit as hard as Nola did with Katrina. Barksdale AFB is 5 HOURS from NOLA, it hardly got hit by Katrina. I've been to NOLA, and it reminds me of my hometown (San Juan, PR), believe me that's not a compliment. Unorganized ghetto. I'm sorry, I recognize it's rich in history and culture, and has geographical relevance due to the proximity of Port Orleans and the oil rigs, but it's still unorganized ghetto down there, just like back home. Shreveport has riff raff too, so be it, everybody does. It's more East Texas than Cajun anyways. But the economic constructs of NOLA and Shreveport are vastly different.

Don't get me wrong, it's hardly perfect, but to put warning signs just because it's predominantly black and that automatically makes it outright undesirable is just short sighted. There's more apartheid gated communities here than present day Johannesburg (I'm being somewhat facetious, for the PC in the crowd), so if racial homogenity is important to you there are areas where you can find that. It ain't San Diego,CA, but who cares, at least it ain't Cannon , or Holloman, or Vance, Laughlin, Minot, Pope, Columbus et al. I digress.

I think McChord is considered high on the desirability list, at least among mobility pilots (I'm a CAF pilot, but the sentiments are the same), so i think you'd find most of your choices a downgrade just by the culture shock you'll experience coming from the PAC NW. So bear that in mind. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues