U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:16 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,427,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I went into the Navy at 18 to get away from my some stuff at home. I didn't like it so I went AWOL at the age of 20. I went back after a couple of weeks and received a dishonorable discharge. 6 years later I figured out how stupid and immature that was and how it affects me now. I have heard there is a way to petition to get it changed to an other than honorable discharge. Can you do it, is this hard to do, and how do you do it?
according to this website

You can apply to the Discharge Review Board (DRB) of your branch of the service for a discharge upgrade or a change in the discharge reason (that is, character of service). To get your discharge upgraded or your character of service changed, you will have to show that your discharge was “improper" or "inequitable." Improper means factually incorrect or inconsistent with the law. Inequitable means inconsistent with the traditions and policies of the service.

An example of a discharge that qualifies for an upgrade might be that a veteran served honorably and had a single bad incident or was abusing drugs or alcohol as a means of self-medicating post-traumatic stress disorder.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...e-upgrade.html

You can certainly try and it doesn't hurt at this moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 04:33 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,427,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I went into the Navy at 18 to get away from my some stuff at home. I didn't like it so I went AWOL at the age of 20. I went back after a couple of weeks and received a dishonorable discharge. 6 years later I figured out how stupid and immature that was and how it affects me now. I have heard there is a way to petition to get it changed to an other than honorable discharge. Can you do it, is this hard to do, and how do you do it?
Also, how old are you now if you don't mind me asking.

The reason I am asking is because,

Only the BCMR, not the DRB, can review a discharge over 15 years old or upgrade a Bad Conduct Discharge, BCD, or Dishonorable Discharge, DD, given in a General Court Martial. Only the BCMR, not the DRB, can change the reason for discharge to physical disability, or revoke a discharge and reinstate a veteran to active duty.

This is the website you need to go to and some contact informations

Navy and USMC
Secretary Of The Navy
Council of Review Boards
Attn: Naval Discharge Review Board
720 Kennon St Se Ste 309
Washington Navy Yard,
DC 20374-5023
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues