Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:34 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I went into the Navy at 18 to get away from my some stuff at home. I didn't like it so I went AWOL at the age of 20. I went back after a couple of weeks and received a dishonorable discharge. 6 years later I figured out how stupid and immature that was and how it affects me now. I have heard there is a way to petition to get it changed to an other than honorable discharge. Can you do it, is this hard to do, and how do you do it?
What chapter of discharge did you fall under?

Call the VA.

Sorry, but there is a reason for dishonorable discharge. Great that you realize now that was stupid to do & how it can bar you from certain jobs; mostly federal in nature; but that's not the Navy's fault or responsibility. You were their responsibility when you joined & since you "didn't like it", they did what they needed to do to clear their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 03:31 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
QUOTE=elamigo;8433800]I believe there is a Board of Military Review. I may be wrong. I have not read on that for a while. Just contact a navy office and they will tell you how to work on it.
However, I agree that once it is on your record, it may not be impossible but it is an uphill battle.

If you plan to do that, you better have a very good reason with good supporting documentation to get it upgraded.

It is sad to me when I keep telling my Soldiers to think very hard in doing stupid things like that and yet they decide to do it. In today's world, those things can hunt people for the rest of their live. If you are not successful in getting it upgraded, all I can tell you is to make sure you have a very clean record at all times, work hard in improving your life like making sure you attend college, do community service, have a good credit record, a good employment record, etc. and you still have a chance to minimize the negative impact for future employment. Also, get a good network of friends and spread a good reputation as a reliable and honest individual wherever you go. Do have a good network of people that have connections in the business world and can give a good word for you.

However, the best and safest way is to simply start your own business where no one can fire you from.

It is not the end of the world. You just need to be positive and make it work for you. Also, wherever you go and you must say why you went AWOL, simply be honest. Do not make any excuses. Just say what you just said, "It was a stupid mistake, not excuses".

Good luck.

You have great day.
El Amigo
Good post and advice!!! elamigo

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-26-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 03:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I went into the Navy at 18 to get away from my some stuff at home. I didn't like it so I went AWOL at the age of 20. I went back after a couple of weeks and received a dishonorable discharge. 6 years later I figured out how stupid and immature that was and how it affects me now. I have heard there is a way to petition to get it changed to an other than honorable discharge. Can you do it, is this hard to do, and how do you do it?

I'm not sure..
But I just wanted to say, that we all made stupid mistakes at this age!!
actually mine "Dumber than Dumb":ee k:
go to your local VA and see how you can best work it out..
and just be totally straight up with them...they may offer some advice that we don't know about...
The stupidest mistakes are having sex unprotected and coming up positive
on the HIV....
My theory is that there are a lot of stupis mistakes that we still make in life
Hold your head up, it's not the end of the world, just try to act and not react from now on...
God Bless You

Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 PM

657 posts, read 1,599,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utennvolsfan View Post
And keep in mind that a Dishonorable Discharge may result in a person being barred from any kind of Federal employment.
not only that, but any sort of employment through an employer that contracts federal work (even if the job contracted isn't through the federal gov't!)

Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Well, you're in good company, as AWOL has been popular in every conflict up through now. Look at the shocking statistics. I used to ask my crew who planned to be skip patrols, so I could set a schedule around their absences. They always came back. Anyway, contact your Senator. I'd start with Senator Kit Bond (Missouri Republican) as he's pro life (you're a family person) and opposes sending additional troops to Iraq (among other things). Study his record at Kit Bond on the Issues and see if he can help. Senators run the military, actually. Get one on your side and you'll have the best chance. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:23 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg2Okie View Post
I've heard it's much harder to get loans, credit, jobs, etc.
Uncle Sam propaganda ...Credit reporting agencies only report credit worthiness. Any discharge has no zero affect on a lenders decision...

The job on the other hand, yes, it's an objection one needs to overcome during an interview, just like a bankruptcy, a previous firing or a criminal record.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Uncle Sam propaganda ...Credit reporting agencies only report credit worthiness. Any discharge has no zero affect on a lenders decision...

The job on the other hand, yes, it's an objection one needs to overcome during an interview, just like a bankruptcy, a previous firing or a criminal record.
Just wanted to add. I assume the OP is posting this because they're having trouble finding a job. When I say "overcome" you need make sure you have a top tier resume and do a ton of research of how to interview. If applying to place that mandates you must first submit a resume electronically, consider doing youtube video of yourself and put the link in the resume. Go on to youtube and watch other peoples videos to get ideas.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 5,315 times
Can you get a dishonorable discharge in boot camp. I was suffering from nose bleeds. I was discharged. When I got my dd214 it said dishonorable . This was 1991.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
You don't get a dishonorable discharge for going awol for a couple weeks. Something isn't right with this story.

Dishonorable discharges are for serious convictions at court martial like murder, rape, desertion, etc. Not simple awol.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdnkyamaha View Post
Can you get a dishonorable discharge in boot camp. I was suffering from nose bleeds. I was discharged. When I got my dd214 it said dishonorable . This was 1991.
You get a dishonorable discharge at a court martial, you don't get it for being discharged for nose bleeds in boot camp.

Also, if you were going to get a dishonorable discharge you would know it in advance and it wouldn't be a surprise when you received your dd214.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues