Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
Bottom line is YES it does basically ruin the town. Too many reasons to list, go somewhere near a base, and then go somewhere not near one and you'll see for yourself.
San Diego ruined by the military?

No, not quite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:26 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Bottom line is YES it does basically ruin the town. Too many reasons to list, go somewhere near a base, and then go somewhere not near one and you'll see for yourself.
Let's see, there are million dollar homes within 5 minutes of Wright-Patterson AFB, OH. The Presidio of Monterey, CA is near some VERY pricey real estate. On the other hand, there isn't any military installation (except a recruiting office) near downtown Detroit...

Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 PM

99 posts, read 252,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Let's see, there are million dollar homes within 5 minutes of Wright-Patterson AFB, OH. The Presidio of Monterey, CA is near some VERY pricey real estate. On the other hand, there isn't any military installation (except a recruiting office) near downtown Detroit...
this is an awesome example of the danger of being a one horse town (or rather, one industry town). It has nothing to do with military presence or absence.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 AM

343 posts, read 1,384,544 times
Quote:

I would tend to agree with this from my observation. Air force bases tend to be better then army bases though.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:58 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
i've delivered to the Givens Warehouses in Chesapeake and I didn't think the area was too bad and there's military all over the area...

Old 05-02-2009, 11:25 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
I think it's a chicken vs. egg argument. Were the seedier towns near the base seedy before the base got there? I think that is the case in a lot of instances.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,589 times
I couldnt agree more alexei27! Someone mentioned FT Bragg, NC...Was there even much of a Fayetteville before the military?

Lets take Colorado Springs, CO....Ft Carson, Air Force Academy, Peterson Air Force Base, Schriver Air Force Base, Cheyenne Mtn Air Station....Military surrounds this city...and gee...voted BEST PLACE TO LIVE 2006...and one of the healthiest cities 2008.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 58,333 times
I live in Sierra Vista, AZ next to Fort Huachuca and you don't really notice that it's a military town, the one reason SV really sucks is cause it's so close to the border, other than that I think the military brings in a lot of good business

Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
This is by no means a question of disrespect, but in general it seems that wheverer military bases go crime goes up, the property values decrease, trashy stores come in, and unruly people come into town.

It seems the prescence of military bases (even though a huge economic boon) are offset by the social costs.

Anyone else notice this?
Here's the problem with your logic, first you'd have to tell us about a "new military base opening up" stateside, and unless there's something I'm missing that has not happened in a very long time.

What you observed about military bases is true, but it builds up over time:

- many young people with more disposable income than any other place normally existing in US society
- a draft-based military that resulted in a revolving door with people on the outs not drifting far from their last base
- property value around bases would be the same as property value around any other "industrial" site (exceptions can be noted, but in general bases have industrial type activities).

Take a look at how many local economies are funded by bases. I think that's a fine example of "value" around a base.

Now take a look at bases that were cleaned up and given back to the public. Many of them are a boom.

The volunteer military is now a direct reflection of the American public (the Army's demographics for example are almost an exact mirror). So if it's ugly, don't forget it's a reflection.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:05 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
Default Nope

What ruins an area is the hoards of stupid E-2's that suck up all the bandwidth on my FOB playing games all friggen day....

Dude.....WTF.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues