Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,200 times

Advertisements

I going to say no this because I am in the military and most bases have been around for awhile. Also, if you think it the military fault then you only using it as an excused for the real issues. There haven't been any new bases build mainly closing down bases. Also, most bases were not near the city due to the type of work and training we do. When the city start many money it expand to the military land plain simple.

Also Mr. Roundball, those strip club in Jacksonville, NC been there for awhile. I was just station there myself and I know the some of the owner. Also, you can really compare those strip club to the ones next to almost every big NFL football stadium. For example, Tampa FL there about 50 strip club, night club, or XXX video stores surrounding the Raymond James Stadium. Like not forget how many are around colleges and university too.

So it not the military it the freaking people in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:00 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,886,522 times
I live in a city with one of the largest military populations in the country and no it does not adversely affect our area in my opinion.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Typically what happens is some of the seedier business' like pawn shops, lemon lot car dealers with EZ credit, strip clubs etc., open up shop outside the gates of a military base. They prey on the younger enlistees who are away from home for the first time. Those very elements that are there to lure the military member in, also lure in locals from the vicinity who are of questionable character. It's not the military that is the problem, it's the opportunists who set up business' nearby to take advantage of them.
It's both. Kind of a vicious circle. Those seedy businesses wouldn't do any damage or move in if seedier people in the military didn't give them business.

And I hate to say it but frankly yes, this is more so for the Army enlisted than any other military demographic.

Really though, there is no short or simple answer and I'm sure it all varies from example to example.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Another argument against the military ruining an area. Look what BRAC is going to do for Hardin County and SW Louisville, KY. Hundreds of new homes are going up and a whole mess of new jobs are being created too. People will point to the strip clubs for the argument for but it is not like the only ones who can go in or do are all in uniform.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,515 times
Fayetteville, NC would be a screwed up town no matter what. Ft. Bragg just adds to that equation...

Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Most of coastal southern california is heavily developed: subdivided, paved over and built on for residential or commercial use. There are a few small protected coastal areas, but nothing in comparison to Camp Pendelton Marine Corps base just north of Oceanside, CA. Nearly 20 miles of Pacific shoreline in mostly pristine condition, and a few hundred square miles of hills and canyons behind the developed area of Camp Pendelton in mostly pristine condition with little more than some access or firefighting dirt roads. Yes, it looks pretty barren, but that's what southern california looked like without aqueducts bringing in water from 500 miles away and non-native species of trees planted everywhere. In this case the military base serves as a barrier to development in the last large stretch of undeveloped coastal area in southern california, so that's helping instead of hurting an area.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM

83 posts, read 276,395 times
"Fayetteville, NC would be a screwed up town no matter what. Ft. Bragg just adds to that equation..."

The area around Fayetteville, like Gray's Creek, are often quite nice. The area has purely benefited from military development which has been an enormous cash pump for decades. I did three years at Pope and only moved because the F-16 unit closed. Live in the right area and what happens in the wrong area won't matter.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophlmao View Post
"Fayetteville, NC would be a screwed up town no matter what. Ft. Bragg just adds to that equation..."

The area around Fayetteville, like Gray's Creek, are often quite nice. The area has purely benefited from military development which has been an enormous cash pump for decades. I did three years at Pope and only moved because the F-16 unit closed. Live in the right area and what happens in the wrong area won't matter.
We called it "Fayette-nam". And your absolutly right, "IT SUCKS"!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
We called it "Fayette-nam". And your absolutly right, "IT SUCKS"!!!!!!!!
You're dating yourself, lol

I remember calling it that in 1968...

As an 18 year old kid I'd never seen a 200lb stripper dance on a stage before, actually never seen anyone dance before. If you remember the main strip had nothing but beer joints, strip clubs and pawn shops. It was great...

Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM

247 posts, read 538,184 times
Yes ,there is a direct correlation between seediness,drugs and crime in places with military bases and yards.To list numerous examples of this would be to waste more time.Nothing to prove, it is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues