Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 AM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
However, that doesn't explain why guys will continue to keep it short even after leaving the service. Convenience explains it pretty well.
Why do I still wear mine cut so short even though I no longer have to? Habit

Honestly though it's reached the point where hair on the side of my head really bothers me. The itching drives me crazy so it's just easier to shave it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Mine, too. To me, there is nothing like a military cut...very sexy!
Wow, I feel the opposite.
Glad I was in the Air Force during the 70s.
I still like long haired guys, as long as it's well kept.

A few airmen complained that women didn't have to cut their hair 35-10 (back in the day).
So I did.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
In the Marines it's a graduated 0 to 3 inches, which is in effect, a buzz cut. There'd a reason for the name "jarheads" the grooming standards are the most stringent of the armed services

Old 05-15-2009, 11:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Sorry Huckleberry (love your name btw), there is nothing silly about a military mans appearance! Personally, I am partial to Marines. Nothing like a man in uniform......

What branch did you serve in?
nobody out of the military looks silly nobody.
good men honorable and upright.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
why do almost all military men have crew cuts, flat tops or a general buzzed haircut, even though it is not required?
"Almost all military men" don't. Most Army and Marines do, but most Navy and esp Air Force guys don't. You're oversimplifying ie lumping all military together......they are diff in a variety of ways. Re. the former, I think a lot of it is peer pressure.

However most do keep it generally short even after getting out (I did) - mostly because of:

- habit

- convenience

- they are losing it anyway and are smart enough to know it would look ridiculous to have long hair on the sides/back with little or nothing up top

I tried letting mine go past my ears after getting out, but after having it shorter for so many years, it drove me nuts. I'm stuck. Just as well though.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 PM

269 posts, read 783,676 times
Not me!I like to keep mine nice and long!

http://www.iconocast.com/00021/M8/News1_0.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
My brother is an officer in the Air Force. I don't know about now, but when he was an ROTC cadet in college, his hair could not be longer than an inch. I always thought that was a little excessive, but then again, it made grooming awfully easy. I think the requirement may still be the same. Whatever it is, he still keeps it well below and inch, which makes me think he still has to keep it that way.

It was fun . . . he would let it grow during the summer time when he was off from ROTC, and then when I would buzz it for him before school started, I would do crazy things, like give him a mohawk, and then shave it off. But I did get him to keep a mohawk for a full day, once.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 AM

13 posts, read 45,742 times
cuz they tell you too

its professional

cuz they tell you too

Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 158,576 times
For many reasons, I'll name a few. It's required in military code of conducts, it's simple to take care of, they don't want you combing your hair, or twiddling it with your fingers during training or class sessions. You go into combat with long hair, and you'll find out real soon that you have some things jumping around your head, and disease ensues, your platoons get's caught with a disease, it's a giant mess. You living in the battlefield it's going to get real dirty, having a shave cut hair saves you a lot of time from washing it, combing, or styling it. Also to identify who's military and who's not. Also to lose your identity during the process of basic training they need to influence and brain wash you into psychotic thought patterns. Same way corporate workers all wear suits, and business satire to lose their identity so they can operate anonymously with their duties. Everyone looks the same, so you operate anonymously and can adopt the hero thought pattern and play as one. There may be a few that I left out, I've been told that it looks good, however I think that's false information just to make you feel a bit more comfortable.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydes View Post
For many reasons, I'll name a few. It's required in military code of conducts,
WTF??

It is not!

The code of conduct does not say anything about length of hair.

Quote:
... it's simple to take care of, they don't want you combing your hair, or twiddling it with your fingers during training or class sessions.
In the US military a servicemember is allowed to wear hair that is three inches long. Plenty long enough to comb.

Quote:
... You go into combat with long hair, and you'll find out real soon that you have some things jumping around your head, and disease ensues, your platoons get's caught with a disease, it's a giant mess.
You are making this stuff completely up.

Head lice does not come from having long hair.

What disease are you talking about?

I have been among a sub crew when we have had lice outbreaks onboard. It is a pain, but there is no disease included.

Quote:
... You living in the battlefield it's going to get real dirty, having a shave cut hair saves you a lot of time from washing it, combing, or styling it. Also to identify who's military and who's not. Also to lose your identity during the process of basic training they need to influence and brain wash you into psychotic thought patterns. Same way corporate workers all wear suits, and business satire to lose their identity so they can operate anonymously with their duties. Everyone looks the same, so you operate anonymously and can adopt the hero thought pattern and play as one. There may be a few that I left out, I've been told that it looks good, however I think that's false information just to make you feel a bit more comfortable.
LOL

Speaking of false info, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues