U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:32 AM

943 posts, read 2,706,331 times

Advertisements

It is my understanding that once a man enters the military, he enters the boot camp and all his hair is shaved off. Though once they finish boot camp they can have hair up to three inches long and it can be medium length as long as it does not cover the ears. Then why do almost all military men have crew cuts, flat tops or a general buzzed haircut, even though it is not required?

Help me understand the appeal of buzzed haircuts and military men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:54 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,484,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
It is my understanding that once a man enters the military, he enters the boot camp and all his hair is shaved off. Though once they finish boot camp they can have hair up to three inches long and it can be medium length as long as it does not cover the ears. Then why do almost all military men have crew cuts, flat tops or a general buzzed haircut, even though it is not required?

Three inches is the limit but the sides have to be shaved (at least in the Marine Corps), it's not like you can just have a 3" mop on your head. I forgot what the exact terms in the grooming regulations are to describe this, but I'm sure it can be looked up easily.

Second, there's a catch-all for "commander's discretion- if your chain of command does not feel your hair presents an appropriate military appearance, they're the law. I had a platoon commander who tried to forbid me from shaving my head because he believed I was a white supremacist, although other people in my platoon had shaved heads that he didn't see a problem with.

Finally, many servicemembers take pride in their clean-cut military appearance. A good high and tight looks and feels professional.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:58 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,703,549 times
I work for a military installation and it's my understanding that they have to have their hair cut very specifically and it has to be short. Not only that, but all of the men I know who keep their hair this way (and it's every one of them) like it short and they have pride in their appearance. They can't have any kind of length at all and to be honest, the ones who do don't look uniform and clean cut.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
Son shaved head when deployed to Iraq due to bugs plus limited access to showers/shampoo and sweating with helmet.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
I wore my hair long enough to act as a bandage and short enough to be difficult to grab in a fight.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,240,790 times
It is called "pride" or "esprit de corps."

Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

Less muss, less fuss. We don't have to spend time combing hair if it doesn't get long, and there are still SOME standards that must be adhered to. The more it is kept short, the more we can be certain it falls within those standards.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 AM

8,181 posts, read 16,153,579 times
My husband got out of the Marines YEARS ago and still wears it high and tight.

I work with a lot of former Military and the same goes.
Like Tkramer says....less muss less fuss.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:39 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,485,715 times
It's easier to maintain when there is less of it to manage. When I deploy it gets cut short, while stateside I let it grow out a little more.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM

645 posts, read 1,736,544 times
Convenience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues