U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,227,562 times
For me it's been thirty years and I did basic/AIT at Fort McClellan. It was interesting to experience and watch how people reacted and adapted. Many of the atheletes discovered that the physical regimen was quite different than what they expected and they were not such super specimens that they believed themselves to be. Then there were the ones who felt they knew everything and quickley discovered that nobody was all too impressed. Then we did have a few who just came from an upbringing of little to no discipline and daily life at basic was a shocker. Finally, there were a select very few that had real emontional and maturity issues and should not have been there in the first place. The best advice is to get into decent average shape by losing excessive weight, arrive with a nuetral attitude ready to do what you are told and learn what they want you to learn. Eyes open, mind open, mouth shut, and the time will fly and you will make some decent friends getting through basic/AIT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,161,381 times
Crying, no but pleading to quit BCT many many times, or go AWOL by a good number of trainees' I served with and one that was striked hard by our DI , broke the trainee's arm because he would not give the DI pushups in formation, the trainee received a medical discharge and the DI was demoted to supply sgt... Let me remind all, this was in the early 1970's in the US Army when crap like this was a common thing. It was tough to go through the remaining 4 weeks for the majority of the BCT class after we
all observed this in formation. The only silver lining was the replacement
DI was awsome, trained hard , yelled ofcourse but no beating with a stick...and most graduated.... BT these days is "a cake walk" compared to what GI's had to go through in the 1970's and earlier..BT with Army and Marines is tough in comparison to the Navy and CG.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM

757 posts, read 1,383,558 times
Shhh...I am neither "tough" or a "guy". But, way, way back when I completed boot camp I cried like a baby! Tears of joy and empowerment!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:41 PM

943 posts, read 1,838,263 times
Many of the military people I know tell me that they wanted to quit a number of times but unlike a regular job they do not allow it so they felt like they were in Prison. But after a few months they got into it and decided it was not so bad after all.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,365,827 times
I'm out at the Marine Recruit Depot at San Diego right now. I was just talking with one of the DIs about this about an hour ago. He was telling me how you have some recruits that are real beligerent and want to alk back and not follow orders and those are the ones you really have to get on, "dig deep",stay on, break them down, and make them cry. So it seems, the harder they are ( or think they are) the more likely they'll be the ones crying.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:47 AM

441 posts, read 726,968 times
We had a few cry when things got a little rough in GLakes. All of us cried like babies when Battle Stations was over and we traded those RECRUIT hats in for Hats that said NAVY

Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,149,382 times
A few of the guys going through basic with me were really homesick.I guess they had never been away from home before. One night 2 MP's came in and took out one of the trainees. We later found out that he was taken to the psych ward because he was going crazy being separated from his wife. Oh,sorry I forgot-Air Force BMT April 1992

Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,776,172 times
I'd want to cry but hold it in for the end.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,180,046 times
One guy cried, he got a Dear John from his (ex) girlfriend.

My best bud got a DJ while in Viet Nam from his (ex) girlfriend.

I was in pretty top shape for BCT, so I didn't find it terribly demanding. The toughest part was the buddy carry of a 100 LB bucket of sand through some hellhole of a sand obstacle course.

I was older than most at 24, and the poor condition of many of the kids was not a pleasing sight. It's far worse today, from what I hear and read.
So much for the fitness-enhancing qualities of a blackberry.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,453,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I only saw people cry twice in Air Force BMT. Several during the first week. I drank so much water I'd have to go #1 at least once a night. Apparently people would go to the bathroom at night and sit on the stall to cry in private. I'd say, "you want to talk about it man?" not even knowing who it was and they'd say leave them be. The second time they'd cry is when they had contact from their friends or family via the phone or letter. Usually it was due to a very happy situation or a very sad one such as a breakup.
I'm sorry but if this was after about 1980 or so then these guys should have had Patton nearby to slap them. USAF boot camp is EASY and if they can't handle a little being yelled at, some push-ups/etc and being on their own for a whopping 2 months give or take, they should go home and live in mommy's basement the rest of their lives. Even someone breaking up w/you at the ripe old age of 18-20ish is no doubt hard, but hardly the end of the world and in dire need of some perspective - ie how many people marry (and stay married no less) to their teenage sweethearts? For crying out loud - grow up and grow a pair (whoops not you gals )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues