Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:36 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times

Advertisements

No bawling in my recruit company at NTC San Diego,just a lot of bichin.This was a long ago era,and many men came from a tough background,like myself.Things that are now forbidden were routine back then,even in the supposedly easier Navy and Air Force boot camps.Today?Just how tough can it be when women are integrated in training with the men?When training is dumbed down to let the girls keep up,it should be a cakewalk.Last I heard,the Marines still had separate boot camps for men and women,good for them.As for Marine training and the Hollywood films that portray it,the film pictured above,"Full Metal Jacket" is loaded with errors and stereotypes according to Marine vets of that era.According to old time Marines,the best film about their boot camp is a 1957 black and white work called "The DI" starring the late Jack Webb of Dragnet fame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,861 times
I teared up a little bit in the first couple of days because I had very much been a homebody, but once training started in earnest, we were so busy we did not have time to feel sorry for ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:56 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
i saw a lot of guys cry when they went to their first church service in boot camp. some of the guys hadn't cried up till that point (that i had seen anyway), but the difference when they walked through those doors into a room where people smiled and spoke nicely to them broke a few guys.

i didn't cry in boot camp, but i think it was because i was smart, not tough. i went into it knowing that it was a game that i had to beat in order to enjoy, and that i would be miserable if i didn't. so i tried my hardest to win–no matter what it was, pt, drill, etc. everything was a game to me. doesn't mean that i didn't feel the stress, but that i was able to harness it.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Boot Camp Training from the 1960's.

I love Gunny!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 AM

17 posts, read 42,557 times
I went through bot Army and Air Force basic training. Both were with men and women mixed. I never saw any man cry I don't remember women crying but maybe they did. I cried once. When it was time to receive out M16s I looked at the weapons and it hit me that these coudl have been used in previous champains... One never knows and that is what caused me to feel/think emotionally. My Drill Sargent said (-----) Is there a problem? I said NO SIR DRILL SARGENT! and that was that.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
A couple guys cried when they got their first letter from home. I guess they were really home sick. I don't remember anyone crying from anything the DIs did. Most of the ones who were bothered by them washed out early or they would just "shut down" near the end.

Of course, nowadays they aren't supposed to make disparaging comments about you and your family or physically beat you so I guess there is less reason to cry.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
A couple guys cried when they got their first letter from home. I guess they were really home sick. I don't remember anyone crying from anything the DIs did. Most of the ones who were bothered by them washed out early or they would just "shut down" near the end.

Of course, nowadays they aren't supposed to make disparaging comments about you and your family or physically beat you so I guess there is less reason to cry.
of course, "they are not supposed to" is much different than "they don't do it."

Old 07-23-2009, 02:13 PM

314 posts, read 1,105,099 times
I did boot camp at Fort Jackson in very early 1981. Nobody cried that I saw. We had a mixed training company even then- some in the female platoon may have cried, but I wasn't privy to it.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
of course, "they are not supposed to" is much different than "they don't do it."
Ya, true!

Even in '93 they weren't supposed to call you names and such but they did it anyway. I guess I could have left my second statement out. Anyone who would cry over that stuff usually left in the first month or so anyway. Although one guy basically quit during the last week because he couldn't take it anymore. Probably good that he did, the instructors at MCT ragged on you more than DIs.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
When I was in basic training in Ft. Jackson (back in 1995), I cried just a couple of times when it came to rifle training (the time we had to learn how to put the M-16 apart and put it back together). I got frustrated the first day, but Drill Sergeant Brown came over and really broke it down to me on how to do it and the names of parts (he was the "nicer" of the 2 DI's we had in the platoon I was in. He's the one who could handle to the female recruits and he understood us better too. He was married with 3 daughters!!).

Thank God! I made it and never cried again. The only other time I cried, slightly, was when we had to do Victory Tower (45 ft. high). I have a terrible fear of heights. They knew it too! But I made it all the way through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues