Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:49 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times

Advertisements

I think the only time my Coastie may have cried during boot camp was when he caught the Cape May Croup. Of course, by the time he called me to say he was sick, his voice was so hoarse he could have been sobbing and I wouldn't have known!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 02:37 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I think the only time my Coastie may have cried during boot camp was when he caught the Cape May Croup. Of course, by the time he called me to say he was sick, his voice was so hoarse he could have been sobbing and I wouldn't have known!
What is the Cape May Croup?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
I never saw anyone cry in BC. It was the 70's and my company commander (DI) only smacked the back of my head once (I was the shortest and at the back of a file) and he said, "Square that piece away!"

I didn't think anything of it at the time and only saw him really hit one guy. The guy was acting up and the CC just backhanded him, and I don't think he took a full swing. He smacked a lot of guys in the back of the head, but basically he treated everyone fairly well.

I did, however, cry when they raised the US flag at the end of SERE school. I went through the real thing, soft cell, hard cell and had to witness a lot of the other tortures they put us all through. Lack of food and sleep created a psychological belief that I was really in a POW camp. I wasn't the only one, either. It was an experience I wouldn't want to repeat, but I wouldn't take it back from my memories and if given the choice, knowing what I do now, would do it again.

I learned more about myself during that training than I thought possible. Our classroom instruction included POW's from WWII, Korea, and VietNam. Our "field" instructors were trained to teach us the most they could from the experiences of real POWs. They might have made it real, but they also were trained to make sure that no one went over the edge, either.

They were torturing some poor E-3 in hard cell, and we could all hear the interrogation that was ongoing. They asked him some tactical stuff and in the end, he screamed, "I don't know, they don't tell me crap, I'm only an airman!" They stopped the interrogation, because the interrogators couldn't stop laughing and we could hear them.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What is the Cape May Croup?
An upper respitory ailment that affects personnel training at Cape May, New Jersey. I think companies training when the seasons change, particularly spring and autumn are more susceptible. I do not remember the percentage of my son's company who suffered from it, but it took down one of their two company advisor's so badly that the man nearly died and was hospitalized for a long time.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,870 times
I cried once and it was because the DI yelled into my affected ear; I had a light duty chit and they made me stay in bed all day. So I quietly tear'd in bed.

I had a friend go to AF BMT and he missed his wife so much he quit; couldnt hack it had to pack it.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 PM

74 posts, read 175,950 times
No. We did give one fool a 'GI shower' and he did not even cry, though it did tune him up regarding his health habits.

I did see grown men seriously crying in the military but under the circumstances there was no shame in that.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
Default ft jackson

gosh my son is in fort jackson...this thread is making me cry

i havent spoke with him in 2 weeks....when i did he didnt seem torn up...although he did say he was home sick....he graduates on 08062009...i cant wait

Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
gosh my son is in fort jackson...this thread is making me cry

i havent spoke with him in 2 weeks....when i did he didnt seem torn up...although he did say he was home sick....he graduates on 08062009...i cant wait
Ah Fort Jackson, I bet he's having a blast, like summer camp.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Default We had one, funny as h#ll!

Back in "79" at Ft. Sill we had one and it was funny as all get out. He even attempted to commit suicide. But the only problem was, "he tried to jump off the second floor balcony", of a WWII wooden barracks. And I know that there are tons of out there that did basic training in thoughs old buildings, and the 2nd floor balcony is only about 20 ft off the ground. So a couple of us snuck up from behind him and let him go for it , by letting his fingers loose. The sad part about it was that all he got out of it was, the wind knocked out of him .

Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
thats terrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues