Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times

Advertisements

When I recruited, the physical at MEPS used to be any instance 12 years old or older was a disqualification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
If you lie, they will not know at meps, but someone will probably eventually figure it out. It can get you kicked out of the military. If you lie, you will probably get away with it, but not forever. If you go to a doctor, on base, in 3 years, and they notice you have asthma, the doctor may or may not make an issue of it. If at any point they make an issue of it, they can pull your childhood medical records and find it. You sign a release when you join.

If you put "NO" for everything on your 2807 (the medical questionnaire) then MEPS will NOT look at any of your medical records. If you put "yes" for anything, you'll need medical records about the "yes", with the exception of birth control, braces, and glasses. Some MEPS are more strict than others. If you get the medical records, for every asthma attack, every treatment you've had, and current statements from doctors that you are fine, the recruiter will send those docs to MEPS ahead of you, and they will get a go/no go from the doctor before you are examined. A "go" means you don't even need a waiver. That is possible. But each doctor at MEPS has a reputation for being hard or soft, so ask your recruiter.

So that you don't have to guess, the regulation used by MEPS is AR40-501. You can google it. It says
Quote:
Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday, is disqualifying. Reliable diagnostic criteria may include any of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea that persists or recurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months.
A MEPS doctor can let you in if they feel you were "unreliably" diagnosed... Maybe the doctor didn't run proper tests, or if you were not symptomatic after age 13, or if you only had the symptoms 1 or 2 times (less than 12 months).

If you currently have asthma, even mild, you will not get in.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:50 AM

Oh, BTW, the regulation is just the minimum guidelines. It doesn't mean they must let you in if you had asthma only as a child. It means they CAN let you in. Some services may make additional rules and be stricter.

I'm just illustrating that it could be possible.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 20,208 times
Hi I'm intrested in joining the coast guard but am allergic to shellfish . I was diagnosed. At 6 but haven't eaten it since then . I'm going to the doctors soon to Get tested. What should I do? I'm really upset because I am very instresred in joining

Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Yeah, um... who is going to "pull his childhood medical records"? What a laugh - no one is going to find your childhood medical records, much less look for them.

Look- if you are someone who is comfortable with lying, who is pretty sure this won't kill you right away and if you're sure you won't admit that you knew you were lying at MEPS, then go for it. What is the chance that one of these allergies/asthma would interfere in a critical moment when other sailors/soldiers/civilians are counting on you for their lives?

Fewer and fewer people in general have any honor - why would anyone suspect/expect someone in the military of being 'guilty' of it as well?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Many applicants disclose the doctor who holds their records on the 2807 and if they suspect fraudulant enlistment the absolutely will go after those records. Otherwise, no, they usually do not. It is not, however, outside the realm of posibilities.

Let's see.... shellfish allergy. You are in the field, you are unconscious, the medic comes up to dress your wounds, and uses iodine to clearn the area. Iodine contains shell fish!!!

You are in the dining facility in basic training... this is the Air Force, I ate shrimp in basic training, you don't order shrimp, but one fell into the pasta you were eating and you have a reaction. The military has no idea you are allergic or how to treat you.

You are deployed and end up with an MRE. It has shellfish in it. It is the only food you have.

I have a friend that was nearly kicked out for a NON-prexisting rice allergy that took the Air Force 3 years to diagnose because it was so mild. Rice would always get caught in his esophogas and everyone thought he had an esophogeal disorder. When they found out it was a food allergy they tried to kick him out. It was extremely mild.

He won, but they don't make iodine out of rice.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:41 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
You will be found DQ'd by MEPS but can get a waiver from the service for shellfish. The waiver may take months. A recruiter may not feel it's worth working, but it can be done. I've personally seen it. If you go to an allergist and find out you are no longer allergic you may not need the waiver.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 47,873 times
Default question concerning asthma

I was just discharged from Navy boot camp with a diagnosis of breathing problems. I made it to 4-3 DOT without any problems and they only had me tested because of a medication listed on a surgery record and the fact I am underweight and have seasonal allergies. I was sent home with an RE code 8 and am hoping to re-enlist very soon. Is it at all possible to re-enlist?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
acmarchetti:

According to this, Military Re-Enlistment Code Chart

RE-8 "INELIGIBLE TO REENLIST WITHOUT A COMNAVCRUITCOM WAIVER"

I don't know what that entails.

Rich

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
So recruiters still have quotas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues