Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:11 AM

243 posts, read 703,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Sounds like a clever way to get sent home and out of the conflict. Pretend your gay and you get a ticket home...

Reminds me a little of Klinger in MASH

lol perfect if u first join for awoiding school or parrents or just want to escape.

then ur unit is called out for Afghanistan (or any)
u just pull the gay card. get sendt home.

and then u can brag about millitary carer. and probly bedaseled the daly manager of some securety company and sitt with ur feet up att the desk in some mall and have a teaser gun on ur hip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM

437 posts, read 929,471 times
man dumbest post. everyone puts down obama just cuz he's either black or old barf bag didn't become pres.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 AM

243 posts, read 703,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Angel View Post
While all the civilians thank you for your sacrifice for joining up, never having any clue what your story really was? lol thats funny and sad at the same time. Sad that people don't consider that every soldier's joining wasn't necessarily a selfless act, but seriously how would anyone know unless you wore a sign that said otherwise. As such, people will continue to treat you as a hero even if you weren't in the remotest sense.

And of course if you even hint that not every military member is worthy of thanks, you get slammed, because people don't want to hear about the negative reasons people join up for (like all the benefits).

Yeah but so many joins for wrong reasons.

edit: ok probly not many but some.

tho some ways of controling this is not to have easy way out. gay in the army so what, female in front line so what.

y cant they look for the realy bad seeds than go chasing gay's or females that want frontline duties.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 PM

269 posts, read 783,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjukken View Post
i realy dont understand two things with the american millitary.

that is y not women in frontline. (or has this changed)
and what is the problem with gay's in the millitary?

when i was in (Not america) i served with gays, straight and women. all in frontline.
absolutly no problems.

Congress mandated those rules for the military and the President signed it. The military has to follow those orders. Why don't you ask this to your local congressman?

My gay cousin wrote our congressman why he is opposed to gay marriage. He received a letter from this congressman saying that with the divorce rate already at 50% in this country, he could not support a measure that would increase that number. All things considered, how does that matter? I think the congressman was more about enforcing his moral beliefs over the political scene.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
Sound like another poor decision by the government. shame on them.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,155 times
Don't Ask, Don't Tell:
"The policy was introduced as a compromise measure in 1993 and approved by then President Bill Clinton who, while campaigning for the Presidency, had promised to allow all citizens regardless of sexual orientation to serve openly in the military, a departure from the then complete ban on those who are not heterosexual. The actual policy was crafted by Colin Powell and was maintained by Clinton's successor, George Bush."
And also:
"Sexual orientation will not be a bar to service unless manifested by homosexual conduct. The military will discharge members who engage in homosexual conduct, which is defined as a homosexual act, a statement that the member is homosexual or bisexual, or a marriage or attempted marriage to someone of the same gender. – quoted in "The Pentagon's New Policy Guidelines on Homosexuals in the Military", The New York Times (July 20, 1993), p.A14."
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
The title is a bit misleading - it's the military that dismissed Lt. Choi, not the President (although he could reverse the policy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
This thread has the potential for getting very heated. Please be diplomatic... I'm with Alexei27; the Huffington Post is a blog, which requires no editorial standards, real research or other fact-checking, unlike mainstream media sources such as Time, Newsweek or your local newspaper. Something to think about...
To be diplomatic, some blogs are far more reliable than some mainstream media. However,

Arabic Linguist Fired from Army for Being Openly Gay - this was the first mainstream media report I came across ... ironically, the CBS News blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreda30238 View Post
I am in the army...I feel like your personal life should remain on the dont ask dont tell policy. I have seen a few that have chosen to make it known, and it never turns out well at all. There is a certain level of professionalism that is expected while being in the Army, and personally, I dont think anything should change that...period. The army will not put you out bc they assume you are gay, they normally put you out if it is DEFINITIVELY KNOWN and there is hard core proof. So you may have the tendencies, but they still will not put you out on that alone.
And the "hard core proof" (interesting choice of words) can simply be a public statement by the person that he or she is gay. And then, no matter what their qualifications, and skills, and experience, and yes, their level of professionalism, the policy is, out they go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
he he came out of the closet in the military he is not a very smart man.
for this he should get removed. the gay is 2ndary issue.
\
As far as I can tell in the accounts I've read, Lt. Choi is a highly intelligent individual (graduate of West Point) who made the decision to be honest. And the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy punishes individuals who are honest.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
This thread has the potential for getting very heated. Please be diplomatic... I'm with Alexei27; the Huffington Post is a blog, which requires no editorial standards, real research or other fact-checking, unlike mainstream media sources such as Time, Newsweek or your local newspaper. Something to think about...
Sorry but even those media rags are compromised. You may want to find a more secure source of information.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:39 AM

224 posts, read 689,262 times
One time, our unit had a urinalysis, and my boss, was chosen to watch the females. Alot of females had a problem with this because it was widely known that she was gay. Some of the females had a problem with pulling their pants down and exposing their "areas," so to speak, in front of her. Even though she was my boss, and we were comrades, I was a bit uncomfortable when my turn came, and I was one of the first girls to go in.
Plus, everyone knows that there is not much privacy, especially while on deployments. Most of the time, it is "open showers" and "open sleeping areas." Some say this should not make a difference, but in reality, it does.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Don't Ask, Don't Tell:
"The policy was introduced as a compromise measure in 1993 and approved by then President Bill Clinton who, while campaigning for the Presidency, had promised to allow all citizens regardless of sexual orientation to serve openly in the military, a departure from the then complete ban on those who are not heterosexual. The actual policy was crafted by Colin Powell and was maintained by Clinton's successor, George Bush."
And also:
"Sexual orientation will not be a bar to service unless manifested by homosexual conduct. The military will discharge members who engage in homosexual conduct, which is defined as a homosexual act, a statement that the member is homosexual or bisexual, or a marriage or attempted marriage to someone of the same gender. – quoted in "The Pentagon's New Policy Guidelines on Homosexuals in the Military", The New York Times (July 20, 1993), p.A14."
The title is a bit misleading - it's the military that dismissed Lt. Choi, not the President (although he could reverse the policy).

To be diplomatic, some blogs are far more reliable than some mainstream media. However,

Arabic Linguist Fired from Army for Being Openly Gay - this was the first mainstream media report I came across ... ironically, the CBS News blog.

And the "hard core proof" (interesting choice of words) can simply be a public statement by the person that he or she is gay. And then, no matter what their qualifications, and skills, and experience, and yes, their level of professionalism, the policy is, out they go.

As far as I can tell in the accounts I've read, Lt. Choi is a highly intelligent individual (graduate of West Point) who made the decision to be honest. And the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy punishes individuals who are honest.
smart is good, emotional stability is even better.
i had a friend kill him self that was a west point grad not too long ago.
again emotional stability is #1 priority in the military. poor judgement is fatal. combat is not the right place to work through your inner feelings. coming out of the closet does not work in the military it works in castro st. SF.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemandy23 View Post
One time, our unit had a urinalysis, and my boss, was chosen to watch the females. Alot of females had a problem with this because it was widely known that she was gay. Some of the females had a problem with pulling their pants down and exposing their "areas," so to speak, in front of her. Even though she was my boss, and we were comrades, I was a bit uncomfortable when my turn came, and I was one of the first girls to go in.
Plus, everyone knows that there is not much privacy, especially while on deployments. Most of the time, it is "open showers" and "open sleeping areas." Some say this should not make a difference, but in reality, it does.
Do you also refuse to be treated by a male doctor? If not, then really that kind of childish behavior makes no sense and is an absolute blight on our military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues