Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Thank you Mark, for those wonderful photos of Alaska's beautiful tribute to their men and women who served our country..And thank you Mark for still serving our great nation
Thanks, but I have now been out of the miltary for almost thirty some odd years after being active duty for seven years.

I guess I signed with the CG wrong. Sorry about that, didn't mean to imply I was still active duty, but in a heartbeat, would trade places with any in harms way to go back and raise their family.

Last edited by starlite9; 05-22-2009 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 AM

13 posts, read 45,748 times
How long has it been there? I don't remember it being there when I was there. McKinley is as awesome as ever. Too bad AK is so hard to get to, I'd love to get back to it. I can never convince people it isn't always blizzards there. Your pics prove how pretty it can be there.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Angel View Post
How long has it been there? I don't remember it being there when I was there. McKinley is as awesome as ever. Too bad AK is so hard to get to, I'd love to get back to it. I can never convince people it isn't always blizzards there. Your pics prove how pretty it can be there.
It has been there since the early 90's or so, don't know when it was commissioned, I just saw a small sign on the highway and pulled in on one of my trips between Anchorage and Fairbanks. Was fairly new the first time I was there though.

I stop there fairly often just to enjoy the quiet.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:56 PM

7 posts, read 28,269 times
Mark,Thanks for these great photos. We just drove by there yesterday, but did not stop. Now that we have seen what we missed, we will go back very soon.Thanks again!!The Daniels Family (Fort Richardson)

Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsfamilyinAK View Post
Mark,Thanks for these great photos. We just drove by there yesterday, but did not stop. Now that we have seen what we missed, we will go back very soon.Thanks again!!The Daniels Family (Fort Richardson)
You will be amazed at how neat the place is with a view of Mt. McKinley as a backdrop.

The Memorial has a special meaning for me from friends long gone. There are other plaques there for other members of the services that lost members to accidents inside Alaska too during peace time.

Down side is, you need to keep your eyes open for the bears that tend to wander though though... Keep the camera handy!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 PM

Took this photo today from the Memorial looking at Mt. McKinley June 19, 2009

Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 AM

Was flying the plane home tonite and flew over the Alaska Veterans Memorial on the highway, so took a few photos of it as I went past from about four thousand feet up.

The Memorial is just about at the far left side of the Lake

Looking down on the Memorial looking South

Not a great shot of Mt. McKinley when I was over the Memorial looking North, but you can see it in the center of the haze...

Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 AM

961 posts, read 2,503,564 times
While not exactly in or near Alaska, my late father fought in the only major sea battle in the most northern regions of the Pacific ocean........The battle of the Komandorski Islands

Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
While not exactly in or near Alaska, my late father fought in the only major sea battle in the most northern regions of the Pacific ocean........The battle of the Komandorski Islands

Hope you were able the get him to tell you some of his sea stories!

We have lost a lot of our Heros and I wish people would take the time to listen to those that are left!

Feel to post some of his photos here if you would like to, that would make the thread a bit nicer!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
We were just at this memorial in mid-September. It was cloudy and rainy. I could not believe those last pictures with Mt McKinley looming so large in the background. What a sight. I just wish we had a sunny day. The memorial though was quite moving with or without Denali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues