Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is my understanding that you can file un-employment in any state that you wish to file for it.

Where you file for un-employment and where your home-of-record is, are two entirely seperate things.
EXACTLY! As far as the State is concerned you've lived there the entirety of your enlistment. To be totally honest they wouldn't know otherwise. As far as they know you've been at that address all this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 11,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
IMHO, tell him to get a job, even if it's collecting carts, cleaning toilets or cutting grass. I can not think of how any able bodied former service-member could deal with being a public burden, even for a week, unless injured or having a real time with PTSD.
[mod] Inappropriate comment [/mod]

Unemployment is an insurance! It is any persons RIGHT to collect this insurance if they become unemployed. Employers pay unemployment insurance on EACH employee and the payments are placed into the state fund.

Thank you to our military members and families for all that you do.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-25-2009 at 03:47 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
IMHO, tell him to get a job, even if it's collecting carts, cleaning toilets or cutting grass. I can not think of how any able bodied former service-member could deal with being a public burden, even for a week, unless injured or having a real time with PTSD.

Yeah jobs are a dime a dozen these days huh?

I got out and my home of record was Fl, I did not go to florida, i went to ky and spent a few weeks with my mom and drew unemployment there. yes I was a burden on the public because I had been away from my family for years with a weekend or two visiting. I feel like I earned that time off and the time I spent with family is pricelss to me today because they are no longer alive.

I for one am not going to serve my country for years only to come home and clean toilets. I most certainly would do that if I had family depending on me and thats all i could do, but it would be a different setr of circumstances that drove me to that instead of drawing unemployment,

Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Ummm. Hey. Guys. Did you even read what I wrote?

My comment isn't about the economy or unemployment rate. It's about pride. Sheesh.

If you are able bodied, you can find a job and work. I never said it was easy. How a man or woman can ETS from the military with no plan and no work lined up is beyond me. It's normally called "individual responsibility."

If he or she was booted, oh well. If he or she is disabled, different story.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Eh? I never even thought about applying for unemployment when I got out. Just took my ticket back to my "home of record" and starting looking for a job once I got there.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
My comment isn't about the economy or unemployment rate. It's about pride. Sheesh.

If you are able bodied, you can find a job and work. I never said it was easy. How a man or woman can ETS from the military with no plan and no work lined up is beyond me. It's normally called "individual responsibility."

Well you have to remember everyone has different circumstances. I got out with a job lined up and still drew unemployment. I had to wait for my household good and vehicle to arrive back in the US. I got out in July, and started my job in Las Vegas in September.

SO what would you have suggested? Work at a urinal for the month of august while waiting for my stuff to arrive, or draw unemployment and spend time with my family, catch up with old friends and enjoy a brief vacation?

i don't think it is a matter of pride to draw unemployment, I don't look down on people who do. maybe thats the issue, if you think it makes someone less of a man to draw unemployment then I certainly hope your situation remains that you don't have to ever get UB.

My wife is on Ub now, she moved with me for my job and she can't find work. without her UB we would struggle, does that make her less of a person? Does that make me less of a person to support her getting UB? I don't think so at all. With today's economy she can't find a job that pays more than her benefits. Would you suggest she take a job that she has to go to everyday using gas and expenses, or sit at home and get more money and saving money this way?

Everyone's situation is different.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:41 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,952 times
I look at this from a different angle. At least in my state (Michigan), you have to "pay back" unemployment at tax time (assuming you find a job in the interim). It's essentially a loan.

I tend to support the line of reasoning that you can collect UB from any state. I say this with no personal experience or particular knowledge but I do know of folks (non-military) that moved here from other states and were able to collect. I'd imagine that military would be no different.

Another thing to consider though is the hassle involved in collecting UB. Long lines, hold times, classes, ect.

If your circumstances warrant, by all means collect. I served 5 years active duty myself and know there is probably no group more deserving public benefits then vets. I'm just giving out some of the possible pitfalls.

You may also want to contact your local Veteran Employment Rep. In Michigan, and I'm sure every other state, there is at least one assigned to every county. As a matter of fact, you should specifically ask to see one to avoid some of the lines and BS that other people collecting UB have to deal with. They'll help you fill out the forms and may be able to fast track things for you. In addition, they may have jobs/resources available just for vets.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 10,126 times
Can anyone provide more specifics on filing in PA, I'm EAS'ing from CA and not sure where I'm going to land yet, but it won't be here. I might be moving around quite a bit for the first several months looking for work and don't know where to file.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerMK7 View Post
Can anyone provide more specifics on filing in PA, I'm EAS'ing from CA and not sure where I'm going to land yet, but it won't be here. I might be moving around quite a bit for the first several months looking for work and don't know where to file.
See if this site helps: Pennsylvania's Unemployment Compensation

Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is my understanding that you can file un-employment in any state that you wish to file for it.

Where you file for un-employment and where your home-of-record is, are two entirely seperate things.
If that's true I hope he files in MA as they pay the highest benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues