Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 AM

9 posts, read 10,900 times

Advertisements

Serving in Germany and playing no part in the War in Iraq, but everyone thanks us. Does it really apply to ALL military members or do civilians just assume all of us are somehow involved?

Its not an attack. I'm just curious. Again we're serving in Germany and have nothing to do with the Middle East, as many servicepeople don't. So when I'm personally thanked I can't help wonder what for? I sit in an office, work on computers and file papers all day, but I smile and say thank you and welcome all the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I guess it's the same as not every person working in law enforcement is out making arrests. It takes a whole system of people doing a variety of jobs.

So...you don't have to be in a foxhole shooting at the enemy to be considered serving your country. It's people like you who make it all work. You have my thanks and appreciation!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Yep. Where you go or what you do is the luck of the draw and EVERY job is important. Thanks. I was not always a civilian.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:37 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
In the Marines, every job, whether directly or indirectly. Is in support of that front line troop. I'm sure the Army/USAF is no different.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:12 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
They aren't saying "thank you for being deployed to a war zone", which, as you must know, is not just Iraq - they are saying "thank you for your service." If your leadership hasn't instilled this concept in you I'd sincerely encourage you to pursue the topic yourself with more experienced Soldiers. Oh and - thank you for your service!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:15 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
A song I heard on the local radio station at sunrise this morning on Memorial day is an appropriate response to the OP--------------" All gave some, some gave all "--

Old 05-25-2009, 03:35 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy21fca View Post
Serving in Germany and playing no part in the War in Iraq, but everyone thanks us. Does it really apply to ALL military members or do civilians just assume all of us are somehow involved?

Its not an attack. I'm just curious. Again we're serving in Germany and have nothing to do with the Middle East, as many servicepeople don't. So when I'm personally thanked I can't help wonder what for? I sit in an office, work on computers and file papers all day, but I smile and say thank you and welcome all the same
Of course it applies to all.

You are putting service before self. Just because you are a chair jockey in Germany now does not mean that you are guaranteed to be in the same place your entire enlistment. One day you could show up to work to find out that you and your computer (in a figurative sense) are going to be sent off to an air conditioned tent or rough office in a combat zone.

The fact that you signed on the line and gave of yourself is what matters. I think what people are thanking you for is not that you have bullets flying past your head, but that you are willing to serve a purpose bigger than yourself. That is where the honor lies.

Don't downplay your mission. What you do matters. For want of a nail.....

Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Mandy21fca:

You are serving your country, and don't forget it.

Thank you.

Rich

Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 PM

798 posts, read 2,727,445 times
As a few others said, you have volunteered to defend and serve your country. Please do not minimize your role in maintaining the freedoms this country holds so dearly which includes the freedom to hold and voice opinions no matter what they be.
Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy21fca View Post

Of course it does and the very fact that you have to ask makes me question your claim to being active duty. Your question should have been answered in boot camp. Why would you think the only service that matters is in the Middle East. Hmmmm, very strange for a soldier.

But don't worry, I am sure your time, or rotation will come for deployment somewhere where there is strife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues