U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 25,792 times

Advertisements

i adopted 10 graves on the american cemerery in the netherlands
and do this for so many years.
flowers on birthdays and memorial days its the same what family do to honeur their love one´s.
and the only thing i ask for is a foto and to now about the soldier, so i can see the face with the stone.
now i wonder why i never get a answer on my letters and e-mails.
can anyone tell me please. why ,they did this and died for us to
have a better and free live.

HAROLD SHURLEY/LEANDER REEL/HERMAN MILLER JR
SEYMOUR ZIMMERMAN/ARTHUR SWANSON/WALTER GORKA
WILLIAM BAUM/INMAN BEASLEY/LOUIS PAGANELLO/
EDWARD MURPHY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,889,368 times
Hello Elly Hoofs! As an American Airman who has been stationed in Germany and visited Holland I thank you and your countrymen for caring for our fallen soldiers! I got to see for myself how many Europeans truly respect and appreciate the Americans who fought in Europe during World War II. I don't have an immediate answer on how to contact the living relatives of these fallen Americans. I do know there are many U.S. military veterans groups and official and unofficial reference sources. Especially on the internet. Is there a group that maintains the cemetery or otherwise supports U.S. veterans locally? Do you already have addresses or other contact info for living family members?

Elly, I wish I had some quick answers for what appears to involve quite a bit of research. Perhaps others may be able to assist you. Best of luck!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:39 AM

1,667 posts, read 8,155,570 times
I typed in Louis Paganello (one of the names) and the cemetery with their ranks and Division came up here: 3AD - Those Who Died - WWII
Then I tried Leander Reel and there you are! Leander Reel, Grant County, West Virginia, World War II
This sure isn't just a casual thing, but you are very serious about honoring the soldiers. What a great inspiration, especially to those serving overseas and think that the only people who care are thousands of miles away. There are no words to express how wonderful your work is. I'd be interested on how you came about doing this service.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM

thank you for the kind words. i hope someday to have more luck in live
and someone helps me.

elly.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM

i adopted 5 crew members of a plane, a heavy bommer. i ask for the whole crew
i have 5 with the pilot miller herman h,and 2 are in england and the last 3 are adopted for the people of the village where glenn miller was born.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:17 AM

hello crew chief the last post was for you.
i need help, here in holland is not so much information about us soldiers.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,577,138 times
One thing that might be complicating your search is the loss of U.S. service records. Before the advent of computers, everything was documented on paper. There was a huge fire in the respository in Missouri (I think) back in the early 70's. The part of the warehouse affected was the section where records for WWII were stored. Since the numbers of vets is dwindling due to old age, obviously their parents likely have been gone for a long time. It may be that there is just no one left who remembers these brave men, except you, of course. I salute you and your efforts.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 AM

no i write to all kind of people.
and i get no answer from the people who must know, i have found family members i wrote to them but never get answers.
the bad thing is there are so many that i must buy just for look in to the data bases. and they have all the picture i need. now i look for a person who have acces to this database and can download the picture for me.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,379 times
i'm also looking for some information about a soldier who died in ww2. i adopted his grave: dickie O bish from pulaski town, davis county, iowa. The problem is that there live around 100 people in pulaski town, but their is no bish-family. I don't have a picture, or his birthday. Can someone help me please!?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,111 times
A very quick search of Ancestry.com found the following

Name: Harold E Shurley Inducted From: Georgia Rank: Private Combat Organization: 60th Infantry Battalion 9th Armoured Division Death Date: 10 Mar 1945 Monument: The Netherlands Last Known Status: Buried U.S. Awards:

In the 1930 Census this lists him his parents and siblings in georgia
Purple Heart Medal

: Name Age [URL="http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=17729353"]Shade Shurley[/URL] 37 [URL="http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=17729370"]Irma Shurley[/URL] 29 [URL="http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=17729393"]Clyde Shurley[/URL] 9 [URL="http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=17729381"]Ottis Shurley[/URL] 8 [URL="http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=17729376"]Silas Shurley[/URL] 5 [URL="http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=17729377"]Harold Shurley[/URL] 4 2/12 [URL="http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=17729394"]Evelyn Shurley[/URL] 2 3/12

Ill do some more hunting and I'm sure Ill find you a living relative of one of these soldiers. A perhaps get you a picture. Thank you for your work

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly hoofs View Post
i adopted 10 graves on the american cemerery in the netherlands
and do this for so many years.
flowers on birthdays and memorial days its the same what family do to honeur their love one´s.
and the only thing i ask for is a foto and to now about the soldier, so i can see the face with the stone.
now i wonder why i never get a answer on my letters and e-mails.
can anyone tell me please. why ,they did this and died for us to
have a better and free live.

HAROLD SHURLEY/LEANDER REEL/HERMAN MILLER JR
SEYMOUR ZIMMERMAN/ARTHUR SWANSON/WALTER GORKA
WILLIAM BAUM/INMAN BEASLEY/LOUIS PAGANELLO/
EDWARD MURPHY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues