U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 08:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Jake, no matter what branch you choose - don't let them pressure you into signing until you're ready. Do your research - find out what you can get and what your prospects really are. Ask around about signing bonuses, jobs, deployment, contract length, etc. Ask other soldiers - not just the recruiter.
Though I wasn't in the service technically, I am a retired AF spouse. Take the advice above to heart. Also, think ahead a few years. My husband got an awesome, amazing, high-paying job as soon as he retired because his AF experience translated directly into a civilian job. Get an idea of what you'd like to do and make sure you don't sign on until a job like yours (if you qualify) opens up. I was a civilian working with the AF for almost 9 years and did all kind of jobs. The people I worked with who had the most success translating their jobs (and staying up to date in training) were in the medical field.

As far as traveling, I suppose it depends not only on which branch, but what your job is. My husband was an Airfield Operations guy. His retirement shadow box is filled with the flags of countries he visited/worked in during his career. There are 36 of them. He has been all over the world (and would have had more flags if we hadn't included one rule...he had to have been in that country for at least 5 days).

If you get a very specific job (say a mechanic on F-16s), then your jobs will be limited and your travel will probably not be as extensive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:04 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,772,218 times
I'm going to chime back in...

First about recruiters...They don't get a commission but it's a fun stable office job. In the AF, unsure about other services, there is a "point system" where they get different decorations. As far as them not lying, I've heard this following example a dozen time in the AF. They get a recruit interested in Security Forces (What we call the military police). They will say the line, "if you don't like the job, we have something called crosstraining where you can change your job about 3 years in." What they don't tell you is that for a while now Security forces and other critically manned slots (afsc's) are unable to apply. The point is, it's nearly impossible get the "real deal" from a recruiter. One other thing the AF will tout is that the AF has the best education as you gain college credits from tech school (school after boot camp), truth is, if a college will accept air force credits, they'll accept any military credits.

I know the air force does have a gaurenteed job, just have to find a recruiter willing to do the paperwork. I believe there is an coast gaurd recruiter on here, he had mentioned something along the lines of you finish boot camp and get to visit a base and get to experience first hand all the jobs before picking one.

Also let's simply ask, what are the OPs expections? Do they want the most amount of $$$, period? Want a stable life? Or prefer to travel all frequently to different areas?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 AM

732 posts, read 3,770,945 times
I scored really well on my AF ASVAB Mechanical section and I was able to get the job I was hoping for. It was Mechanical Maintenance on ground vehicles. Is there a high chance I won't get this job, how do I get it in signing?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,772,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I scored really well on my AF ASVAB Mechanical section and I was able to get the job I was hoping for. It was Mechanical Maintenance on ground vehicles. Is there a high chance I won't get this job, how do I get it in signing?
You need to explain...I take it you took the ASAVB and haven't signed anything yet? The highest odds I'm aware of is for you to ask the recruiter, "will you get me a guaranteed job?" They'll almost never say "no", they'll usually push you to sign something in the "open" category...If that's the case you may need to call several recruiters until one is willing to do the necessary paperwork to get you a guaranteed job. IMO, don't settle for something you don't want; the military will use you, be sure to return the favor

Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM

133 posts, read 463,238 times
For goodness sake, stay away from the Army and Marines. Your instincts are right, choose the Airforce or Navy.
Airforce has the best quality of life. I speak from the advantage of having family serve in the above branches, I know of what I speak. Husband career Army, son, Airforce.
STUDY take the asvab and if you score VERY high, the airforce will open wonderful doors for you. There is a reason they have a waiting list. Consider going to OCS and becoming an officer, seriously consider this. Although, I have to tell you, enlisted Airforce have a GOOD life. Theres more to the story than promotion rates, and my son quickly realized this even as he saw his friends who joined the army, being promoted fast. He didnt want their day to day lives. My husband, an army officer, was once assigned living quarters in Korea that the Airforce had REJECTED for their enlisted personnel.
Study your butt off and get a good score, and then insist on a good specialty, the space systems program, or linguist...something that will be extremely beneficial to your future.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 PM

133 posts, read 463,238 times
Huck, you said that already on page one.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 AM

549 posts, read 1,499,584 times
Join the coast guard!

it is so awesome to be a coast guard in Miami!!!!

I don`t know why so many forget about this option!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Though I wasn't in the service technically, I am a retired AF spouse. Take the advice above to heart. Also, think ahead a few years. My husband got an awesome, amazing, high-paying job as soon as he retired because his AF experience translated directly into a civilian job. Get an idea of what you'd like to do and make sure you don't sign on until a job like yours (if you qualify) opens up. I was a civilian working with the AF for almost 9 years and did all kind of jobs. The people I worked with who had the most success translating their jobs (and staying up to date in training) were in the medical field.

As far as traveling, I suppose it depends not only on which branch, but what your job is. My husband was an Airfield Operations guy. His retirement shadow box is filled with the flags of countries he visited/worked in during his career. There are 36 of them. He has been all over the world (and would have had more flags if we hadn't included one rule...he had to have been in that country for at least 5 days).

If you get a very specific job (say a mechanic on F-16s), then your jobs will be limited and your travel will probably not be as extensive.
Excellent post, The3Ds; some good information there. I'd like to expand on a couple of your points;

Aifield Ops folks naturally are assigned anywhere the Air Force has an airfield (plus I'm sure there are also joint assignments with the other branches and even other federal agencies).

As for aircraft maintenance, the USAF generally tries to train airmen on one airframe and to keep them working on that airframe as much as possible. Yes, if you're an F-16 guy, you're pretty much limited to F-16 assignments (until you get to E-8 and E-9). But most fighter units deploy extensively, so there's LOTS of opportunity to go places. And if you really enjoy aircraft maintenance, you can get additional training and FAA certifications both through the USAF and off duty. And that opens the door to extensive opportunities after you leave the Air Force.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:21 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Having been Army Infantry myself, I always tell young people: Join the Navy, Coast Guard or Air Force. Their living conditions are better and the opportunities for adventure and advancement just as great.

But, first, ask yourself this question: What do you want to take out of military service? What's the motiviation for joining? Do you want to learn a marketable skill and position yourself for post-service success, or do you want to have your great life's adventure? Or both?

The answer to that will point you in the right direction.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:19 PM

18 posts, read 44,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern by choice View Post
Study your butt off and get a good score, and then insist on a good specialty, the space systems program, or linguist...something that will be extremely beneficial to your future.
Actually I had a question about this, (btw I am not the same Jake as the OP). How exactly do you go about insisting for a specific specialty? Do you pressure your recruiter? What if you go NROTC and major in Mech Engineering? Do you have a choice of rating once you graduate or is it up to your superiors and what is available? Sorry if I sound confused here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues