Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 10,819 times

Advertisements

Bolded text is right to the point if you dont feel like reading about me

A little about me; Hi my names Jake i live in SW Florida. I have one year experience of college credits(23) and i recently left my university last fall because of money and lack of effort issues. Ive lived on my own with the help of relatives and friends since i was 17, Been through maybe 7 jobs in those 3 years, and have lived in 5 different places. Ive put my self in a position where i dont have a job and cant afford where i live. I want to join the military, either the Air Force or the Navy. My grandfather was in the AF and was very successful, You could say he was a legend in his day. My dad was in the Navy and now is a 20 pt disabled Vetran.

Im not sure which branch i would like to join and ive talked to an AF recruiter before and took the practice asvab, scored above average. I plan on seeing our local Navy recuriter on Monday. Ive been searching the internet for Enlisted Jobs in the Navy and AF. I really want to travel the world, but i have no idea what jobs really travel the world. Like i said before im single, have no obligations excpet some debt. Ive thought about being a realtor. I dont have any skills that point out or anything, atleast i havnt learned them yet. All i know is that i really want to travel and i would really like my career in the military to help me become very succesful in the civilian world.

Sorry im really just saying whats on my mind, dint think this post through at all. If u can help me in anyway i would greatly aprceiate it! Feel free to ask me questions, and ill try my best to answer them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:56 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Hi Jake - If travel is a priority, then the Navy is the choice for you. They'll also care a tad more about your test scores (AF has no problem meeting recruiting goals and won't really care). You can also learn a variety of jobs that can serve you well in the civilian world (as would the AF). If you're big, tall, or claustrophobic you might want to think twice about it (even though my big tall cousin was an officer on a nuclear sub and an aircraft carrier with no problems - just something to consider). Let us know how your meeting with the Navy recruiter goes and what you decide!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
GO NAVY, you will visit more ports and travel more

when your on a ship your always traveling, you will always be going somewhere, the Navy has a much older tradition and history than the AF I would pick the navy, plus your father was a navy man, carry on the tradition!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
You might as well see the Army recruiter. Then there is the Marine Corp and also the Coast Guard.

I am retired Army and I traveled a lot for a while. But I don't know for sure what military specialties of any branch guarantees travel...

Rich

Old 06-10-2009, 06:21 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
If you have a flying job in the Air Force like load master you will see the world too.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
army do a program my favorite is RN.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:42 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Jake, no matter what branch you choose - don't let them pressure you into signing until you're ready. Do your research - find out what you can get and what your prospects really are. Ask around about signing bonuses, jobs, deployment, contract length, etc. Ask other soldiers - not just the recruiter.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
Have a friend who's son is going into the Air Force ... there's a 6 mos wait for him until boot camp. You should be sure to ask whichever service you decide how long the wait is. You'll have to secure a place to stay and probably employment in the mean time.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Strongly consider doing an officer program...Navy does have the BDCP program. Also look into ROTC for the two branches...

Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 AM

325 posts, read 979,338 times
Go Army! Naw i'm just joking....check the jobs in each branch of what you would like to do. I will tell you now, the army is more physically demanding than the air force and the navy. You would probably have an easier time getting in the army because comrades of mine (in the af and navy) have told me that they are starting to put people out because they have too many. So just make sure you know what job you want to do and make sure its a job you can use if you were to get out. You dont want to be a fueler in the military and not be able to use it when you get out. All i can say is research, research, research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues