Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHOP View Post
WHAT?! Sexual misconduct of ANY kind is not condoned... AT ALL! EVER! That is the point behind all policy regarding sexual misconduct including practicing homosexuality. Anyone who allows their sexual proclivities to rule or define their lives is not fit and does not have the required disipline to serve in the armed forces. I am just as opposed to serving with a promiscuous womanizer as I am a homosexual. Why should I be forced to accept anyone's misconduct? Where shall we draw the line?

I think what he was saying is that you can sexually harrass someone, receive paperwork, and go on serving in the military. Even very serious cases may result in article 15s or reduction in rank, but there is a chance you can stay and retire. If you are gay, you are out, period. Even if you have reached 20 years already, you risk losing your benefits. No discussion- gay=kicked-out... period. End of story. Some people use drugs, and manage to stay in. You can get waivers to join the Army with felony convictions... but if you're gay, no way.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHOP View Post
I am sure that I do but, I don't know if I do because I make it clear from day one that attitude and behavior while I am around is inappropriate. I expect total professionalism from my subordinates.

From my superiors, I find that if I treat them professionally, they tend to be professional even if that may not be their nature.

I am also sure that I serve with homosexuals... the point I was trying to make (not so clearly) is that if someone feels they need to define who they are by flaunting their sex life with everyone around them... I have a problem with that. Whether they are homo or hetero-sexual. If a person can serve honorably and professionaly, I don't care whether they are homo or hetero-sexual.
IHOP, It is not a matter of "Flaunting." I can be in my PRIVATE backyard, holding hands with my heterosexual partner, and if someone sees me and turns me in I will be kicked out of the military. Congress doesn't say you can be kicked out, it says you MUST BE kicked out. Don't ask, don't tell- any homosexual act is considered "Telling" even in the privacy of your home. You don't have to flaunt it at work to get kicked out. I can be 100% honorable and professional at work, and kiss my partner goodbye in the driveway while my commander is accidently driving by my house, and by law, he must process me for seperation.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The laws of our nation when they were first written, were often with a view toward Biblical sins.

Murder, stealing, adultery, bestiality, sodomy, etc.

In the 1950s when the military law was codified into the UCMJ all of these crimes were included.

Adultery was once a crime in every state. Today it is only a crime in the military.

I see where these laws came from, and I understand it in it's historical setting.

Is it fitting today that these should all be crimes?

Today's society seems to have changed a great deal.

Adultry is a crime for a reason. Imagine you are deployed in a war zone, and your wife finds out you cheated on her. Now you are a danger, because you are not focused on the war at hand. You are focused on the ugly phone calls from your wife, and the fact that she is cleaning out your bank account and taking your kids out of state and you can't do anything about it from Iraq or Afgahnistan. It detracts from the mission. I've seen scorned spouses sitting at their desks in tears, unable to focus because their spouse was sleeping with their best friend or whatnot. It's great if everyone can always leave their personal life at home, but unrealistic.

Besides, entering into a marriage is a form of legal contract. If you can't abide by that contract, what other things are you dishonest about. Dishonesty in a marriage shows character. The military doesn't want dishonest people.

It is also a security concern. If you have access to sensitive of classified information, and you are cheating on your spouse, and someone finds out, that can try to blackmail you with, "Give me information or I'll tell your spouse."

Old 07-11-2009, 11:38 AM

39 posts, read 312,984 times
After reading this thread, I'm left with a few thoughts. I once read: "It is not a right to serve in the Armed Forces. It is a privelege." The thing I'm learning about the military is the rules, policies, requirements and qualificatiosn are written out right in front of your face. Not everything is black and white there are some gray areas, however if you know where to get your information the gray areas can become black and white. Not to mention there are very very very few, "special circumstances." What's good for one is good for all.

Although the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy may be bogus it's right there for all to read and all to know. If someone joins a service and is homo-sexual they know what that means for them. Is it fair? IMO no, but it should not be a shock to anyone when someone comes out of the closet and gets kicked out of the military. Even if they have 20 years in and is about the retire. As quoted above the policy states if someone's "outed" they must be kicked out. It's not about favortism it's about the facts.

I firmly believe that anyone should be able to serve there county no matter what their sexual choice. But until someone takes arguements to the appropriate policy makers and changers the rules are clear.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:56 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF090909
... until someone takes arguements to the appropriate policy makers and changers the rules are clear.
True.

The US military does not write law. Only congress writes law.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:40 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF090909 View Post
After reading this thread, I'm left with a few thoughts. I once read: "It is not a right to serve in the Armed Forces. It is a privelege."
The U.S. military isn't some fraternal organization or exclusive club. It is the instituition charged with defending our nation. I certainly believe that we should be enlisting & commissioning the most capable Americans to defend our nation. And sexual orientation has nothing to do with fitness to serve in the military.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:20 AM

50 posts, read 136,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
The U.S. military isn't some fraternal organization or exclusive club. It is the instituition charged with defending our nation. I certainly believe that we should be enlisting & commissioning the most capable Americans to defend our nation. And sexual orientation has nothing to do with fitness to serve in the military.
Uh. why not? It was illegal to be gay when I was in the military under the UCMJ and for a good reason.Same goes for women in combat or on combatent ships Just ain't going to work out.It's foolishness The feminizing and Sissyfying of our armed forces needs to stop. Being gay is a lifestyle choice and nothing more and used to be considered deviant behavior.Whats next accepting Pedophiles? To all you Mothers and Fathers encouraging your Daughters to join Our military shame on you. The first time a Recruiter tries to talk to my girl I will bust his head indeed. My boys will be encouraged to serve their country Just like me and my father and many other members of my family.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:28 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hivoltage
Uh. why not? It was illegal to be gay when I was in the military under the UCMJ
No, it really is not illegal.

The UCMJ makes a crime of performing sodomy.

If a servicemember performs sodomy they have committed a crime and will be punished.

The UCMJ does not, and it has never made a crime of the desires in your heart which you do not act upon.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 AM

50 posts, read 136,018 times
Okay not illegal, But I had to sign a document stating i was not gay in Meps before going to boot camp. Same thing only different.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:44 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
apples to oranges !

When the military completely integrates females and males together ( boot camp, same barraks living, showering together, etc) you would have an analogy.

As of now ,you you don't.
Finally the voice of reason. Thanks.

What's really abhorrent to me is the foolish short-sightedness about the whole thing. It's not about "gay bashing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues