U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 PM

960 posts, read 1,820,586 times

Advertisements

I come from a military family so there was no doubt in my mind I was going to enlist, In which branch was the question family members asked of me and all my cousins.

I chose the Navy, my reasons were I always loved the Navy I can't say exactly why I just did.

Dad was in the Army and would have liked me to follow his lead but never pressured me.

The Navy and me were a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,473,061 times
Can I contribute as a British military brat? If so, I have to say the RAMC (Royal Army Medical Corps) because my Dad served in that for 25 years and I had a fantastic childhood growing up in 7 different countries as he was stationed in one BMH (British Military Hospital) after another.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 PM

630 posts, read 1,633,075 times
Da Navy,two reasons,fisrtus,I've had the same job in civilian life for 25 years that I had while on the briny and dos,if you can put up with two months of training in Gitmo followed IMMEDIATELY with a seven month Med/I O cruise on a 30 year old scow with broken A/C, civilian life is a snap

Old 07-10-2009, 01:30 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,244,521 times
My dad was Coast Guard, and was on North Atlantic Convoy duty as XO, then CO of a DE during WWII.

My uncle was Coast Guard, and was aboard an LST that took Marines and supplies onto the beaches during the invasion of Iwo Jima. He then served in Japan during the occupation after the Japan surrendered.

I was Navy, Weapons Department on an Aircraft Carrier during Nam. Navy would be my choice again, peace time or during a war.

I see complaints about long cruises and being away from home. I don't think any cruise has lasted 15 - 18 months, yet many ground forces have been deployed to Iraq for that long, repeatedly.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,891,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Can I contribute as a British military brat? If so, I have to say the RAMC (Royal Army Medical Corps) because my Dad served in that for 25 years and I had a fantastic childhood growing up in 7 different countries as he was stationed in one BMH (British Military Hospital) after another.
Chilaili, I consider myself fortunate to have served alongside the RAF numerous times when I was stationed in Germany! One of the things I envied about my counterparts in the RAF in aircraft maintenance is they had YEARS more experience on their assigned aircraft as opposed to us in the U.S. military. While we spend an average of only 20 years in the military, many of the RAF's Noncommisioned officers were close to their 50s in age and had many more years of experience. Our "up-or-out" system means that, instead of improving your skills in your current job, you're looking for the next "square" to fill to get promoted.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 PM

15,640 posts, read 14,702,613 times
USAF

My father was career AF.

I was raised on Air Force bases. We lived all over the place and I was able to learn so much about cultures and morés. I always felt so secure on base and there was so much for the kids to do. The Air Force took care of us.

Also, I seem to be drawn to folks who were raised in military families even when I don't know they were at first. I think the shared fact that we moved our "homes" from house to house has something to do with it.

The Air Force was good to us. I will love it forever.

This one is for you, Dad.

High Flight

John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:31 AM

3,846 posts, read 6,603,914 times
Air Force.

I am an AF veteran, so maybe I'm biased! I joined mainly because it's the least physical of the others. And I don't swim, so I didn't want to be forced to do any kind of water training!!
I'm an Army brat though, so I have a soft spot for the Army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelong View Post
Besides the fact that you joined it of course.

Just wondered what people thought about what made their particular branch special or interesting.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM

2,551 posts, read 3,767,034 times
Well, the reason why I picked the Army is because that's the branch I was really familiar with (my oldest brother served in the Army during Vietnam, another brother was in the Army National Guard, and my father was a Drill Sergeant in the Army). It was only one I knew very well about.

But if I had known about the Marine Corps better (like I do now), I would have joined them. I like both branches, really.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
I did Navy, 1976 to 2001, and I care the blue ID card now.

The US Navy has a bunch of different communities. Among these communities some rub elbows a lot, while others rarely see each other at all.

I was in the Silent Service most of my career. We have our own bases separate and removed away from the target fleet.

I know that being a sailor is not for everyone, and living underwater is not for most sailors. I did about 14 years at sea on subs.

When I checked onto my first boat, I was among the first crewmen who did not already have a college degree. Previous to my arrival, they had mostly all been draft dodgers [attending college during the VN era draft, and when they got a degree they each volunteered for sub-duty rather than report to the draft board and be sent to the infantry].

I enjoyed being an Electronics Technician. My primary duties were mainframe Computer System Analyst, later I got into Electronic surveillance and Intell [both gathering and as ship's Intell Officer]

There are a lot of jobs that need someone to fill them, and there is a lot of training available for each job. So you are always getting more training.

On subs the pay is better, than it is anywhere else in the Navy.

Attending college courses is the norm and crewmen with degrees are common.

Most of the rates on a boat are high-tech rates, so high ASVAB scores are required, and we all have very long schools.

We are expected to continue taking advanced tech courses every time we are in homeport, to keep on top of what we do. And we are expected to be taking college courses each quarter.

Every crewman is expected to 'earn their keep' by being the technical expert on at least one system, and every crewman is qualified to operate every system onboard.

Officers are often idiots. Officers will usually have an engineering or physics degree but they are encouraged to be ‘managers’ and to have no technical knowledge. They do all of their ‘managing’ from their staterooms or the wardroom, so the crew rarely deals with the officers. Any crewman can diss an officer when that officer is being an idiot. So even the officers must learn to show respect for system's experts, or else those officers do not last and they are flushed from the Navy.

We were able to do a lot of investing.

I was also able to help others.

After I got my degree in theology, I was appointed the boat's Protestant Lay leader. So I did all Protestant worship services, burials at sea, and weddings for the crew, and I continued doing that function on my last 3 boats.

I volunteered to be a ship's barber on each boat I was on, so I cut a lot of hair.

I was also encouraged to take courses on budgeting, investing, and tax-planning. I was certified by the Navy as a budget counselor and by the IRS as a tax preparer. So I was able to help folks with their finances, to file their taxes and to build their portfolios.

I also did 2 tours of Law Enforcement, so I got a little exposure to how other parts of the Navy work. Subs are better.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:50 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,437,993 times
I was a typical draft baby. I was sent a draft notice. Went and took the physical. Passed and was waiting to be called. Did a little investigation and found that in the Navy, you have a warm, dry, bunk and 4 meals a day. I enlisted before they could call me up for anything else.

I hunted Submarines for a living. I was on a surface ship and I was called a Ping Jocky. Although I didn't ping. But having spent a lot of years doing what I did best I learned something about the other branches.

AF. Thank you for putting them where they was needed.
ARMY. If you didn't spot for us, we couldn't so what we did best.
MARINES. Hey, we needed to drop somebody off while we drank coffee. Just kidding. You spotted, you first deployed, you kept us out of harms way.
CG. Nothing but a ferry. But you ferried us into where we needed to go.

Thank you!

If you check the records, officially there are only two branches of sevice. Army and Navy. Hell, that's the only two good football teams. But from those came a few others that were needed. Army Air Corp. (Air Force). Marines (Actually a dept of the Navy). And the Coast Guard. Does anybody realize that the USCG is the only branch that has arrest authority? Coastal water enforcement. But coastal could mean any country in the world.

But I stayed Navy for 18 years. Was worth it. Damn, 4 meals a day and a warm bunk.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues