Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times

Advertisements

"beautiful girl"

You are thinking of 'fica' rather than 'figa'.

In either case, not really used in polite society, but not horribly bad either.

Like calling men 'bella' it is calling the guy a girl, though it is commonly done and accepted. It just sounds weird to us as we learn Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 43,010 times
I love Italy!!!! We lived in Sigonella for almost 4 years, first in Motta and then on base housing. I did not take the 205 nor the far away housing complex. We came back to the states and three years later we left for Naples. I have 2 teenagers, a father in law and no pets. It was great for the kids to live onbase so they walk to school. My husband was attached to NATO in Agnano and I worked for NAVFAC in Capodichino. My husband had to travel the longest and it only took me 15 minutes to get to the base in the morning. We traveled almost every weekend either because of football or soccer games or just to go new places. I took italian classes and it was great (imparare un po di italiano ti poi auidare moltissimo) my spelling is terrible but it does not matter. Living on-base has positives, if you are planning to travel you have no worries. When we lived off base in Sigonella our car was mashed a couple times, we learned, we left the doors open after that... In Naples, we heard horror stories but we also heard great experiences... We worked with lots of local nationals and got to experience many activities. Enjoy your new location and remember, every place is different!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Was stationed in Gaeta, Italy; north of Naples. If you get stationed in Naples, then make a trip to Gaeta in the spring and summer months. The beaches were clean and nice when I was there (1994-1996). Most of the locals spoke English well. Climb the mountain to see the best preserved Roman mosoleum of a Roman General. Visit Split Mountain. Shop at the Via Indepenzia (sp?), a narrow alley filled with shops. It was much friendlier and safer than Naples.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM

250 posts, read 910,723 times
Our friends are stationed there and they LOVE it. Lots of touring, its almost like my friend's husband isn't really working (at least it seems like it because they are always gone to germany, or driving the coast or going to greece).....anyhow. they like it. They havebeen there for a few months and yes they got robbed. I believe from their car not their home but yes do believe it is pretty common but they still really enjoy it. Go for it--you really don't get many opportunities like this calling.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
You're so close to Pompeii, Rome, etc.
Excellent weather.
What a great experience, go for it!

Get off base as often as possible.
Your experience is what you make of it.

I live in Germany and travel all over all the time.
Living overseas makes me a better US citizen because I can see other points of view.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 PM

539 posts, read 699,976 times
I was at AFSOUTH for 3 years..living on the economy limits your travel on weekends or days off, leave etc due to possible breakins.

Living in a gated base community is safer and allows one to travel without fear of break ins.

Be careful where you park your POV. I went to Sicily, Portofino, to Venice and all over Tuscany. What I liked most about Italy was you never know what castle awaits you over that next hill.

Read the Greek and Roman myths, get a good tour book. Enjoy the wine.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Do you plan on bringing your personal vehicle with you? If so, bring a small vehicle. There are some roads you cannot travel on with large SUVs.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 184,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
My italian isnt so good but isnt the OP's name something dirty??lol
NOOOOO, I don't think so. Although my Italian isn't the greatest either. lol

Old 08-20-2009, 01:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Stay in convents!
They're cheap and pleantiful and safe.
Who's going to mess with nuns.

If you email me privately when you get there, I can copy some pages of the book: Bed and Blessings, and send them to you.
Don't miss Florence!
Yes, living on-base in Italy is safer.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 9,726 times
Default LOVED Naples

We lived there for three years and...

CRIME - We never got robbed or broken into - we were careful and locked our car and house ALL the time - no problems. Be aware - like in ANY city, Italy or US.

PEOPLE - We loved the people and they were very good to us!

TRAVEL - Don't be afraid to venture out and explore! Try new foods, try to communicate with the local people!

BASE - You have everything you would find on a US base.

GO FOR IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues