U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 14,341 times

Advertisements

Some resources you might consider using are at:
Benvenuti - Wikinapoli - Househunting Resources

...note that if you're U.S. military with dependents, you'll likely be "direct assigned" on base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 PM

188 posts, read 690,150 times
I would not rent from anyone other than from base housing, I do believe now there is little off base housing, base housing is almost the norm. Very high property crime, I lived in that area for many years, houses there tends to be broken in during the day when everyone is at work or shopping. There is also the Naples Panorama Military newspaper but I don't know what they have in their classified section these days, they are online.
Great place to live but you have to be alert.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFiga:) View Post
The military is possibly moving us to Naples Italy. Can anyone tell me what it's like living on base housing? If it's safe to start a family there and all around experience? Thanks!
I would choose another City to move to. Naples, Italy is the worst City in Italy to go to and probably the worst in Europe.
The local Government can't manage their trash problem. The local populace burns the trash and the mafia dumps trash illigally in the fields where produce is grown. If you suffer from any type of allergy or respirtory problems definiatly do not come. I filter all air in my house and rarely open the windows unless it has rained the night before due to the foul stench the resides in the air from trash not being picked up. The locals are relatively friendly; however, rude on the road and in coffee bars. Due to the high unemployment ~40% there is alot of petty crimes and break ins also. The driving is horrible here and the parking is almost impossible downtown. Since these are my opinions you can google search for facts in the news papers about Naples and all their issues. The best way to look at Naples, Italy is it is a great place to go see other places from. Work here but on weekends you can travel to where the water is clean and air is breathable.

Take Care

Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,334 times
Lived in Napoli from 1977-80 and then again from 2003 to 2008 - and miss it. However - home and vehicle burglary is very common. There are also issues with water and air quality in the small towns near the support site. I lived in Casal di Principe on the last tour, and while we were never robbed (Camorra-connected landlord only three doors down the street), we had a lot of trouble with trash pickup, and the smell of burning trash when it accumulated in the huge mounds around the town. Much of Casal is now "off limits" to military personnel as far as renting goes because of water quality. If I were going back today, I would look in the Caserta area or on the east side of the A1, toward the mountains. Yes - long commute, but cleaner air, cleaner water, and more pleasant surroundings. Also spent three years in Sicily (1989-92) and loved every minute of it. Lived in a villa in a small village on the side of Mt. Etna, made friends with the neighbors, and had no trash, water, or air pollution problems.

Having said all that -- Naples is the most vibrantly alive city I have ever been in - and I've lived all over Europe and the US. A history that is over 3000 years old, and evidence of it everywhere. The people are friendly if you give the language a try, and they'll always find someone to help you if English is necessary. May be the neighbor's 10-year-old, but why not? The traffic is horrendous, but there are really very few accidents, other than bumper-crunchers. The Neapolitan drivers know to the micrometer how far away their bumpers are from yours.

Just remember that you are the foreigner - not the Italians. They are proud, justifiably, of their history, culture, and cuisine. Get out there and enjoy it - don't hide behind the gates and shiver with fear. It's not the US - but it is somewhere very wonderful.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,339 times
I am moving to Naples Feb 2011. I was told that you must live on base housing unless you have certain dogs (which I have a doberman) and so I must live off base. I am very scared to live off base. Do you think I'll have problems with break ins if we find a place with an alarm system and having 2 dogs?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:49 PM

4,585 posts, read 8,785,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straniera View Post
The traffic is horrendous, but there are really very few accidents, other than bumper-crunchers. The Neapolitan drivers know to the micrometer how far away their bumpers are from yours.
That is called:
Italian souvenir ...

Old 12-26-2010, 12:15 AM

26,676 posts, read 41,207,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc wife View Post
I am moving to Naples Feb 2011. I was told that you must live on base housing unless you have certain dogs (which I have a doberman) and so I must live off base. I am very scared to live off base. Do you think I'll have problems with break ins if we find a place with an alarm system and having 2 dogs?
I did law enforcement there, and from what we saw the LNs do not care if you have an alarm or not.

Simply do not bring anything expensive to Italy. No diamonds, no stocks / bonds, no rolexs, nothing that is expensive. No $1,000 shoes, no pearl necklaces, no rubies, ...

If you are a t-shirt and blue jeans couple; there will be nothing in your home that LNs want. They may break-in, and maybe eat a sandwich, but then leave.

If your dogs look like pure-breds they will be the biggest attraction.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,751 times
We have also picked orders for there, between Napels or siciliy....We have 3 small children any advice?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 PM

9 posts, read 31,950 times
I was stationed there in the early 90s for 3 years. Was military police so we did ALOT of reports on traffic accidents and thefts. I don't recall a single incident where an American was hurt by an Italian. I rented a house with two guys in Lago Patria. We were robbed once early on in the summer while the Roma were camped nearby but never again b/c we staggered our work shifts and made friends with our neighbors. The thieves came in on the blind side of the house. Landlord invested in an alarm and steel shutters for us. He was a good guy. The last year or so we didn't even bother locking the doors or sometimes even CLOSING the doors. Crazy in retrospect but the neighborhood watch and our mutts dogs (small) did a great job at discouraging thieves. In the summer when the Roma arrived the thievery went up. I don't know if the thievery went up b/c Italian thieves counted on folks being gone on vacation or it was truly the Roma.

Banged up some cars here and there. I drove a $1500 '72 Beetle and an '84 Rabbit convertible. Caught one fellow trying to break into the Beetle trunk once parked in a bad neighborhood. I scared him away. I usually paid a white cap to what my car. It was worth the money. My Beetle had one dent on it from a collision with a wall from a wet road (spun out). Rabbit was purchased with dents and I fixed it. Good cars. I still have a '65 Beetle I brought back with me. I drove all over. My recommendation (perhaps out of date information) is don't bring an American car. You stick out like a sore thumb and make an easy target for thieves. Buy something very common and run Italian cover plates on it. When I was there we had these little American style AFI license plates that screamed "ROB ME". I had a floating base pass so I could hide that when parked in town, and cover plates so my car looked very local. If you don't need it - leave that big American vehicle in the USA. Sell it. If it breaks in Italy you are going to be waiting for parts. The mechanic you rely on may or may not be experienced in fixing what needs to be fixed. There are things that they won't be able to easily fix like automatic transmissions or odd fuel injection problems. Buy something that Italians buy - preferably turbo diesel for max mileage. I knew a guy that drove a Bronco II back then, was a gas hog. Another fellow brought a Corvette and wrecked it, junked it. Saw Oldsmobiles and Tempos and Cavaliers - they were all paralyzed with problems that would be relatively minor here. Another thing to consider is that American suspensions and brakes may not be able to compete with zippy little Italian cars darting this way and that. I drove big Fiat Ducato vans in heavy, heavy traffic regularly b/c I had to but they were tough to park and navigate through traffic. I was used to it though. The new guys were always squirming in their seats when riding across town in heavy traffic.

If you don't like adventure or trying new foods or if every little inconvenience causes you stress - beg for new orders and stay in the states. If order and rules are important to you Naples will make you crazy. If you like to wander about and try new things, Naples is amazing. It's dirty. It has a petty crime problem. You'll have to learn to be a wise traveler to avoid somebody trying to take advantage of you at least once in your three year stay. Like ANY big city - even American cities - there are problems. I never felt unsafe in Naples back then. I was armed true but I was out in the city at every hour of the day or night without a cellphone and with a walkie-talkie that might work, or might not depending on where we were. On the weekends I was still out in that big city wandering around.

READ, read, read. Make the most of the internet. It is an amazing resource that I did not have way back then. You can see maps, get reviews, make reservations, find recommendations, and order stuff by mail order. I had to ask for opinions, mail order forms back to the states for things I wanted (everything I NEEDED was available on base or nearby), and hope that the info I had collected was correct. Naples would be a cinch with internet access.

Beware of the folks with orders to Naples who are unhappy. I met folks who hated Italy b/c it wasn't America and wasn't populated by English speaking Americans. Some of them never left base or ate anywhere but the base. They knew no Italians. They did not know where to go for interesting things to eat or interesting things to see. Some were scared to leave the base. Most lived on base their entire time. I remember chatting with a coworker who had been there for two years like me. I had traveled the length of the peninsula several times in my old Beetle. Been all sorts of places. His big trip in two years? Went downtown once for pizza. Was a fish out of water the whole time so he rushed back to base. The next weekend I took him down the Amalfi coast and he grinned all day, even while he was physically car sick. He suddenly got very adventurous after that I think and traveled quite a bit.

Make some friends with the locals and with civilian Americans who have settled in Italy. Talk or e-mail with them or read any of the dozens and dozens of blogs I have seen over the past few days. See what their experiences are and how they coped with challenges such as anything official and Italian.

Finances - depending on your income - you may be limited. I was single and E-4 living on the economy. We had to carpool, share rent and eat cheap to save up money to travel with. Ate alot panini and other cheap (still good) Italian foods. Saved up my gas coupons. Slept in my tent when I had to on trips.

In short I had an amazing time there.

So are any of you civilian contractors and how do I find work in Italy as a civilian engineer for the DoD? I have seen some options but don't know if I am missing the best resources.

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,563,330 times
What MR FritzJackson said about makeing friends with the locals around you will help you out in the end big time and it will help your survive in the time that you are there ...

When i was there i made friends with the people in the building that i lived in and it paid off big time for me and my wife for we never had problems with people liveing inside the building or when the socalled Roma where in the area working they would look out for the wife and kid when they where out at the local market for the local ladys would go as a group to the market to shop that day ..

we did not drive something american our car was a VW that was a wreck in the makeing as my wife called it for it was the coat of many colors on the fenders and door panels and body panel at the time when we bought it but it ran great and got us around without much of a problem ..most of the time i took the train to the base and she drove the car around town ..I had on the german tags and kept the base stick on a piece of cardboard that i could stick in the window for the Mp's to see when comeing into the base and could remove it when out in town .

most of the people i knew in the building where good basic hard working people who like us just trying to get by in this world and make a good life for there familys .. So we would make up little gift baskets for them with some coffee or tea bags and sugar and maybe a bottle of wine or whiskey and give to them for there birthdays or holiday and it opened doors up to us as a family and they would show us place to eat at that where good and place to stay away from or they would take the wife and kid out when the ladys would all get togerther and go shopping in the local market area and they watched out for each other ..

My landlord was a great guy and never was a problem about fixing something in the apt ..I did take care of him here and there with a bottle of whiskey he liked and a carton of cig for him on his birthday or holiday ..So he was a happy camper with us about things if where a little late paying the rent at the first of the month he never sweated about it ..

Also when you get there have sit down with the local ladys with a coffee and some type of local dessert and you find that helps also to open doors with the people in the building and you find it just make life alot easlyer also when liveing overseas ..

The people in the building where we lived took care of us like we where there own family members and we never had a problem finding a babysitter or someone would come up and say we takeing the kid with them for a few hours and you go out and have some adult time

Also learn the language and it does help you out in alot of ways and know some of the customs also helps ..Our last year there we made a large family style dinner for Xmas and we where feeding people in the building and it was really sad for they knew that the movers where comeing on the 28th to pack us up and move us back to the states and there where not a dry eye between us and them and we still get letters around Xmas time from them or emails as one of the ladys who stills liveing in the building has learned how to work a computer as she wrote to me in a email..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues