U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM

6 posts, read 30,022 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is in the USAF, just about to graduate tech school. His first "assignment" or whatever it is called (sorry still trying to learn the military language) is Ramstein Germany. Honestly I am really happy for him because that was his dream base, but a little freaked out too. Anyone have advise they can share on dealing with this?

Also I am trying to start saving to go visit him around Thanksgiving- anyone have advice of where to look for a travel package?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,434,532 times
There are so many ways to stay in touch these days - I'd suggest using Skype once he gets settled in.

Be aware that he will be busy with inprocessing once he gets there so try to be patient when communication frequency changes.

I believe there are a lot of armed forces recreation opportunities there - not sure if he has to access them for you (probably) to make reservations, etc... but its something to check out. Check out Icelandair for flight prices - they often had good prices. You have to transfer around 8am local time, with everyone else flying into Europe, in Reykjavik, if they still do that pattern of flights, but it was a nice airline, small and easy airport, and good travel bargain.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
Wow, USAFGF; that'd take a whole BOOK to answer!!! Ramstein is a great assignment and you'll have a wonderful time when you go visit him. Whatever his military specialty is, he'll be PLENTY busy there! But the opportuniteis for you two to travel will be there, also. You might consider reading a travel guide about Germany to give you a feel for the country. Beyond that, best of luck and let us know if you have more specific concerns. Tschuess!

(There are TONS of tours and other recreational opportunites available at Ramstein for just about every corner of Europe. By the time you're ready to vist him, he'll know about how to make reservations. Icelandair DOES have some good deals; worth checking out.)

Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM

It almost sounds as if it would be easier for him to arrange for me to come over- is that true or should I be doing things on my own here?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM

I'd book your own flight but have him check with the base recreation/travel office to see about tours/travel packages locally and beyond (Germany, Europe, etc...). They will probably have a lot of brochures, etc... and ideas for him.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
USAFGF, I assume from your initial post that your guy isn't even out of tech school yet. If that's the case, lisdol made an excellent point; he'll be VERY busy with inprocessing, upgrade training, getting used to Germany and maybe even a deployment for MONTHS after he arrives. You may want to give him time to get his feet on the ground before you make travel plans. The one thing you could do right now is get a passport if you don't already have one. You should also make sure your immuniniztions are current for the countries you will want to visit. (Although Europe requires little, if any unusual vaccinations)

Old 07-07-2009, 12:03 PM

no he is not out yet- he graduates on the 25th of this month. I knowit is a little early to actually plan things yet, but I want to be able to have a heard start and some kind of idea as to how much money I am going to need when I get there and to actually get there. I already have my passport so that is a plus I know. I totally understand how busy he is going to be when he first get there, he is crazy busy right now just getting ready to go!

You both seem to have a lot of knowledge about the military side of things- thank you for your help. Any advise on how to actually handle the seperation we are about to deal with? LOL

Old 07-07-2009, 01:53 PM

He will be busy - you try to stay busy too. Try to set up a regular system for communicating - "dates" by videoconference (like Skype) - online chat times, regular emails - but also accept that his schedule may change a lot and you guys will have to be flexible (esp since you will have a time zone difference).

I think Skype and other internet options are the best bet b/c all it costs you guys is an internet connection and email can be done even if you guys are on totally different time schedules. I burned through phone cards when my now husband PCSed out of tech school to his first assignment. I had my last semester of college to finish so we had 5 mos of long distance communication - it got expensive.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:06 PM

yes I have been told it is very expensive to do the long distance thing, and although it is worth it- if we can find a cheaper way of making it work that would be great. Unfortunatly for us we have 2 years to work through- I have a child from a previous marriage so it is not possible for me to go live with him while he is overseas (unless I choose to leave my son behind).

Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM

794 posts, read 2,431,316 times
The separation will be hard but with all of the communication devices available these days, it helps. I did read something about a brand new military lodging facility by Ramstein complete with 300+ rooms and lots to do. He should be able to check on that once he is settled in and hopefully make reservations for your visit. The place sounds pretty cool.
Please remember that he will have to focus a lot on his initial training and getting settled so be patient if yor don't hear from him as much as you would like.. The idea of "date nights" that someone suggested is a good idea..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues