Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times

Advertisements

Active duty is really weird about taking prior service back on active duty. They rarely take guardsmen or reservists as well. They will do it for security forces and special forces stuff, but that's about it. I would just go guard from the beginning and deploy if you wnat some active duty time. That's what I did, and many guys in my unit did as well. You don't want to go active right off the bat, they treat you like garbage and you will be doing stupid details all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,070 times
Generally you get much better treatment as a guardsmen or reservists. Getting a full time job is the problem if you don't have a job...

Most guardsmen I've met generally did one or two enlistments in active duty before palace chasing (released from active duty to join the ) to the guard...

Old 08-04-2009, 07:28 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Active duty is really weird about taking prior service back on active duty. They rarely take guardsmen or reservists as well. They will do it for security forces and special forces stuff, but that's about it. I would just go guard from the beginning and deploy if you wnat some active duty time. That's what I did, and many guys in my unit did as well. You don't want to go active right off the bat, they treat you like garbage and you will be doing stupid details all the time.
Yeah - my husband works with some former Army guys and former Marine Recon who crossed over to the AF, and he had a guy he worked with that had gone guard for a while and then come back (probably not the only one but not very common). AF can be picky.

Does the Army still do Blue to Green? That is an option for someone prior service AF to go active, but you have got to want to be in the Army, which is entirely a personal decision.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post

Most guardsmen I've met generally did one or two enlistments in active duty before palace chasing (released from active duty to join the ) to the guard...
This option briefly crossed our mind but mine decided getting retirement pay right away instead of waiting til age 60 was worth the trade-off of staying active vs. full-time NG. It would have been nice to settle down at one location - but only as long as it was a location we liked!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
This option briefly crossed our mind but mine decided getting retirement pay right away instead of waiting til age 60 was worth the trade-off of staying active vs. full-time NG. It would have been nice to settle down at one location - but only as long as it was a location we liked!
Yeah the age 60 thing waiting for retirement kinda sucks, but nothing beats getting to basically choose your location. Plus there is talk of reducing the time to collect to 55 or even 50. National Guard guys are really good at getting what they want.

Not being able to choose where I would be stationed was the primary deciding factor in deciding to go Guard instead of active. I would hang myself if I had to spend 3 years in Minot, ND or Guam.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Yeah the age 60 thing waiting for retirement kinda sucks, but nothing beats getting to basically choose your location. Plus there is talk of reducing the time to collect to 55 or even 50. National Guard guys are really good at getting what they want.

Not being able to choose where I would be stationed was the primary deciding factor in deciding to go Guard instead of active. I would hang myself if I had to spend 3 years in Minot, ND or Guam.
Correct...And with the guard you can always transfer to other units; just have to find a slot and get hired...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:20 AM

Yeah the 3 or 4 guard locations for his AFSC sound really good; it would stink though if we got there and after a few years were like "Anchorage is too cold (or Portland is too wet, or Long Island is too expensive)" and then not be able to get a slot in a different unit. Anchorage sounded really good about 10 yrs ago though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues