U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:52 PM

67 posts, read 188,954 times

Advertisements

Okay, i'm having a crisis right now and i need serious comments/guidance.

I reside in maine near the capital. As of now i'm jobless for the last 4 months with nonstop of searching/applying with no luck. Now, i've tried to join the military (army) 3 times and i was declined. They said it's because i'm disabled due to a hearing loss. So i said okay, and i went to Social Security office to apply for SSI / SSDI. I applied there when i was 18, denied and i was denied again at 20. Now i'm 21 here, jobless with high school diploma....

I joined the Young Marines when i was 11, did excellent and the officers told me that i was one of the best. I had leave as a staff sgt when i went to college in new york (dropped out, school wasn't for me). My family background consists mostly ex military - my grandfather (marine), dad(army), 2 uncle(army), 2 cousins(army), 1 aunt(marine). Now, Regardless of my hearing loss, i can do just about ANYTHING. I'm very athletic, active and smart. There's nothing that i cant do and i've proved many i mean many people wrong through out my family and friends while growing up.

I'm pretty antsy right now and i'm pissed that i'm stuck in between... I want to serve my damn country rather than taking advantage of the money from the government, however they leave me with nothing. I dont know what to do next. I tried to appeal for SSI over and over, i keep getting denied and i went to few army recruiter center frequently with no luck.

Is there anything i can do here? I really need to do something here, being jobless really sucks big time.

thanks in advance

PS: i mean there's tons of jobs out there that i can do in the military... not the front line of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 PM

sorry for double post. I really dont care what military branch i'd go into, i just need a secure job and possibly travel. Also, if this helps... i'm a gun fanatic with a big collection from past wars and some that were passed down from my family. this probably dont matter much, but at least it's an interest that i have which would aid me? lol.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 PM

23,466 posts, read 37,367,368 times
You need to pass the medical exam/requirements and get the apropriate scores on the ASVAB written test. There are some other requirements.

If you are not medically fit, they will not take you. The possibility of a waiver exists, but only someone in recruiting command can really deal with it.

The military is not a job, it is a commitment.

Rich

Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 PM

i took the tests that they had given to me and i scored above average. I knew about the waiver, however the recruiters didnt bother and gave me false hope.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:25 PM

15,461 posts, read 14,315,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvet4dog View Post
i took the tests that they had given to me and i scored above average. I knew about the waiver, however the recruiters didnt bother and gave me false hope.
Have you checked out Federal jobs?

Try this address. It lists jobs in the civilian ranks of the U.S. Government.
Perhaps you could find one on a military post/base. You would still be serving your country without actually being in the military.

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

Old 07-11-2009, 06:58 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,662,679 times
Quote:
Find a recruiter who will bother...Call and be upfront; that you have hearing problem and will need a waiver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Have you checked out Federal jobs?

Try this address. It lists jobs in the civilian ranks of the U.S. Government.
Perhaps you could find one on a military post/base. You would still be serving your country without actually being in the military.

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site
While it's nice to dream, these jobs are extremely competitive...Hundreds if not Thousands apply to each slot...

Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,552,338 times
Quote:
Okay, i'm having a crisis right now and i need serious comments/guidance.

I reside in maine near the capital. As of now i'm jobless for the last 4 months with nonstop of searching/applying with no luck. Now, i've tried to join the military (army) 3 times and i was declined. They said it's because i'm disabled due to a hearing loss. So i said okay, and i went to Social Security office to apply for SSI / SSDI. I applied there when i was 18, denied and i was denied again at 20. Now i'm 21 here, jobless with high school diploma....

I joined the Young Marines when i was 11, did excellent and the officers told me that i was one of the best. I had leave as a staff sgt when i went to college in new york (dropped out, school wasn't for me). My family background consists mostly ex military - my grandfather (marine), dad(army), 2 uncle(army), 2 cousins(army), 1 aunt(marine). Now, Regardless of my hearing loss, i can do just about ANYTHING. I'm very athletic, active and smart. There's nothing that i cant do and i've proved many i mean many people wrong through out my family and friends while growing up.

I'm pretty antsy right now and i'm pissed that i'm stuck in between... I want to serve my damn country rather than taking advantage of the money from the government, however they leave me with nothing. I dont know what to do next. I tried to appeal for SSI over and over, i keep getting denied and i went to few army recruiter center frequently with no luck.

Is there anything i can do here? I really need to do something here, being jobless really sucks big time.

thanks in advance

PS: i mean there's tons of jobs out there that i can do in the military... not the front line of course.

what in the world makes you think you should get SSI/SSOI ????????

""( DROPPED OUT,SCHOOL WASN'T FOR ME "---

You had better consider getting some kind of education/job training instead of looking into SSI

I'll bet the SS office considered you a nut !

Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,851,993 times
The chances of you being accepted with a severe hearing loss (medically tested and documented I assume?) are virtually non-existent. I am sorry but there are other ways to serve your Country (but unfortunately most positions require at least a four year degree).

If you do not have the proper work credits you will not be eligible for SSDI and if SSI has rejected you (for whatever reasons) then you need to concentrate on finding a job that WILL accept you.

I understand the desire to Serve, but the medical/physical requirements are in place to protect you as well as those SMs around you and if you do not meet the standards then you can attempt a waiver but realistically depending upon the level of hearing loss you may as well accept that Service in the Armed Forces (at least AD) may be forever out of reach.

If you live anywhere near a Base/Post you may try to get a NAF job (the Civilian job market "GS" positions are very competitive and the chances of a person with just a HS diploma competing for and securing a position are also negligible).

Please consider continuing your education. In this day even highly educated persons are struggling in this job market and without higher education you are probably regulated to fast food or retail (sales) positions. I would not count on SSI since your age and relative good health (hearing loss is rarely awarded benefits unless the loss is profound and combined with other eligible conditions) will exclude you from benefits. It will be presumed that you could find employment commensurate with your education and skills set. You are young and fully capable of working at jobs that would not require 'good' hearing.

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but your desire to Serve will probably not come to fruition. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:33 PM

14,079 posts, read 16,626,426 times
In the first place, joining the services because you can't find a job is a foolish reason to join, so far as I'm concerned, but it's historically appropriate.

Secondly, if you really do have a serious hearing loss, that loss may very well end up endangering your life or the lives of those near you. When you're sitting up on guard at night, there are perhaps thousands depending upon you. That's something which should be considered.

Thirdly, SSI is very difficult to get at your age. The older you get, the more likely they'll award it because it has to do with the amount time SS will have to pay you.

Fourthly, unless they've changed the way they test hearing at MEPS, this is how to "beat" the system:

When they take group in for a hearing test, just pick someone who looks pretty healthy, sit next to him and do what he does. After all, you have nothing to lose, right?

I suspect, though, that hearing tests are administered individually now, so there's no way to beat the test, UNLESS you can schmooze the technician into giving you a passing grade.

Last edited by stillkit; 07-12-2009 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-12-2009, 02:41 PM

6,945 posts, read 10,556,163 times
I was surprised to read about waivers coming from the recruiting command. I thought medical waivers were handled at MEPS and the recruiters had no impact on them. Perhaps I am wrong then???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues