U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-17-2009, 02:32 AM

1,492 posts, read 4,431,727 times
Default Blue Star Service Flags

Anyone know where to get these?

And the statute (rules) say when displayed w/ the US Flag..... does that mean it doesn't have to be displayed w/ the flag? or does it?

Oh, I have two active duty and would love to have the flag/banner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 AM

1,668 posts, read 5,333,762 times
The group that does this is called Blue Star Mothers (Blue Star Mothers Of America Inc), or you can get one here: Blue Star Service Flags Main Page

Old 07-17-2009, 06:31 AM

17,017 posts, read 17,586,507 times
Some background on the "Blue Star Service Banner or a Gold Star Service Banner", with much more info at: Service flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Service Flag in the United States is an official banner that family members of service members in harm's way can display.[1] The flag or banner is defined as a white field with a red border, with a blue star for each family member in active duty. A gold star (with a blue edge) represents a family member that died during service, without specifying cause of death. The deceased might have been killed in action, or died due to unrelated causes.

The Service Flag can also be called a Blue Star Service Banner or a Gold Star Service Banner depending on the color of stars. At times it was called Son(s) in the Service, no longer considered proper.

The banner was designed in 1917 by United States Army Captain Robert L. Queisser of the Fifth Ohio Infantry, in honor of his two sons who were serving in World War I. It was quickly adopted by the public and by government officials. On September 24, 1917.

The United States Army Institute of Heraldry governs use of the Blue Star, their fact sheet is at SERVICE FLAG AND SERVICE LAPEL BUTTON (http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/FAQ/ServiceFlagFactSheet.htm - broken link) with portions below:
4. Display of the Service Flag

(1) The service flag shall be treated with dignity and respect. When displayed with the flag of the United States, the service flag shall be of approximately equal size but never larger than the flag of the United States. The flag of the United States will occupy the position of honor.

(2) When the service flag is displayed other than by being flown from a staff, it will be suspended either horizontally or vertically.

(3) Users are cautioned against the use of the service flag for advertising purposes. It will not be embroidered on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, and the like; printed, or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discarded; or used as any portion of a costume or athletic uniform. Advertising signs will not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the service flag is flown.

(4) For cautions against the improper use of the service flag, users should be guided generally by the provisions of 36 U.S.C. 176 which apply to the flag of the United States of America.
The American Legion rekindled the spirit of pride in our military men and women following the horrific terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The American Legion continues to provide banners to families in communities across the nation. There are free color downloads and graphics and more info at: The Blue Star Service Banner | American Legion (http://www.legion.org/national/supporttroops/bluestarbanner - broken link)

Rich

Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 AM

21,572 posts, read 27,335,183 times
Star banners can be put up without regard to there being a US flag present.

We had a blue star banner decal on our rear car window when our eldest son was in the Army.

They can be put in your home's window, or about anywhere.

You can get them with 2 stars, 3, 4, or 5.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 PM

17,956 posts, read 5,741,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Anyone know where to get these?

And the statute (rules) say when displayed w/ the US Flag..... does that mean it doesn't have to be displayed w/ the flag? or does it?

Oh, I have two active duty and would love to have the flag/banner.
Please Thank your Active Duty "children"......for/from me........

Old 07-19-2009, 03:36 PM

13 posts, read 39,917 times
I hung mine from the back passenger window of my car when my son was deployed in Afghanistan. When he came home after a year I rolled it up and put it away not looking forward to the day when I would put it back up. He just graduated from Air Assault School and will be attending the Warrior Leadership Course next. He hopes to be a Ranger before he goes back.

It seems that no one knows what it is. People look in wonder thinking I am a blond haired, blue eyed very white man from Puerto Rico.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:14 PM

21,572 posts, read 27,335,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASoldiersDad
... It seems that no one knows what it is. People look in wonder thinking I am a blond haired, blue eyed very white man from Puerto Rico.
True.

When we had ours up, we lived in Ct, and very few knew what it was.

Here in Maine we see them more often. Maine has a lot higher percentage of vets in it's population.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM

2,790 posts, read 3,960,534 times
You can also try your local VFW and American Legion. That's where I got mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues