U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:24 PM

81 posts, read 270,948 times

Advertisements

Hello all - Is anyone out there a veteran or a child/grandchild of a veteran that served with the 56th NCB during WWII? I have been trying to find info on the internet, but very little is out there regarding the 56th. So I am building a website to be the source of info. Anybody that has information/pictures, etc to share please contct me!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,919 times
Default 56th NCB

Hi,

My grandfather, who is still living, served in the 56th NCB stationed on Guam toward the end of WWII. He mustered out as a PO3, Carpenter's Mate rating, but he was actually the company clerk. I have a few photos I believe, and I also have his 56th pin with guards I can take a photo of and send.

Tony

Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 AM

6,073 posts, read 10,482,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv289 View Post
Hello all - Is anyone out there a veteran or a child/grandchild of a veteran that served with the 56th NCB during WWII? I have been trying to find info on the internet, but very little is out there regarding the 56th. So I am building a website to be the source of info. Anybody that has information/pictures, etc to share please contct me!

Thanks!
Have you tried to contact a local "Island" of the SeaBee Association? Or maybe, Gulfport Mississippi's SeaBee museum.

Retired EO1 from NMCB26. CANDO

Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 AM

81 posts, read 270,948 times
Thanks Tony and Earthbound. I would appreciate any pictures or info you may have. I will PM you back, Tony.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,793 times
Quote:

Thanks!
My father was for a time in WW2 a member of the 56th NCB on Guam. I don't have much information, but what do you want to know?

Old 05-08-2011, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,600 times
My father -in-law, Ralph Burgess, was stationed on Guam toward the end of WW2. A member of the 56th I assume because of a medal with USN pin connected by chain. Ralph died 4-18-2011. He was from Carrollton , TX.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,600 times
I am curious about the weapon held by the eagle on the sterling medal on blue background. 56th N.C.B.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM

23,332 posts, read 36,885,121 times
__________________________________________________ ____________

There is a web site at Welcome to the Home of the 56th NCB :

Welcome to the Home of the 56th Naval Construction Battalion
The 56th NCB was commissioned in on December 24, 1942 in Norfolk, Virginia. The 56th NCB was then transferred to Camp Parks on February 27, 1943. On March 15, 1943 the 56th was moved to Hueneme and from there shipped out to Pearl Harbor on April 2, 1943. They were assigned to the Naval Air Station in Kaneohi, Oahu during this time. In August of 1944, the 56th was sent to Guam and remained in Guam until the end of World War II.

A personal web site with some 56th NCB info: Bill Ragsdale, 93rd seabees

ARTICLE:
Remaining members of 56th Battalion of Seabees will gather this weekend

Published: Tuesday, August 29, 2006

RAY WESTBROOK
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

Twelve men from the 56th Battalion of Seabees will gather in Lubbock Friday and Saturday to renew friendships and remember World War II.

continues: Remaining members of 56th Battalion of Seabees will gather this weekend | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Quote:
Seabees
WHERE THEY WORKED AND
FOUGHT IN WORLD WAR II
An official brief of the itinerary of all the organized U. S. Naval Construction Battalions and
special
units.
Seabees Worked, Fought on Global Front In these thumbnail
sketches, compiled from official data. There is assembled for the first time, a record of Seabee
units, where they worked and fought in all theatres of World War II. Construction Battalions had
the singular distinction of participating in every amphibious operation of the Pacific campaign.
They served with every branch of the U. S. armed forces. Beginning at Bora Bora and
Guadalcanal, they kept pace with the Army and the Marines and splashed ashore with the first
occupation troops on atomized Japanese home islands.
PDF file, 56 pages, located at: http://nmcb62alumni.org/SeabeeUnitsHistory.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-08-2011 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM

6,073 posts, read 10,482,014 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I wasn't with the 56 NCB's, but I am a retired CB from NMCB26., HooRah! God Bless our forefather CB's and all they paved the way for us to live up too. HAND SALUTE!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,016 times
My father was in the 56th NCB on Guam. He is still living. He said they shipped out from Hawaii on former cruise liner, S S Luraline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or