U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 PM

71 posts, read 211,769 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious to see what your opinions are on this topic. Are military men/women less faithful in relationships compared to civilian men/women?

Ready, set, discuss.

Last edited by LA_86; 07-31-2009 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Edited to sound objective :)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Your final question reveals that you think the answer is no.

"Why do you think this is?"

Old 07-31-2009, 01:05 PM

71 posts, read 211,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Your final question reveals that you think the answer is no.

"Why do you think this is?"
Edited to sound objective. I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other, just got brought up in conversation with my friends today and wanted to see what the CD community has to say about it.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:10 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,419,134 times
Loaded topic... *sits back and watches*

Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post

Getting out my bucket of popcorn...

I was on another forum and someone made the statement "typical military wife" and got ridiculed.

I am interested as well to see where this one goes.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:34 PM

24,129 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
Move over so I can sit and watch. You gonna hog the whole bench?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM

472 posts, read 627,503 times
Based on my experience of 22years in the U.S. Navy, and many other years in civilian endeavors, I would say that the answer is no.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:15 PM

1,765 posts, read 6,240,790 times
The military in the US is a near exact slice of the US population. The demographics on race, income and education levels are almost the same -- more so if you count reserves. In some ways, it's a mirror, and it should be. In other ways, the folks in the military have some notable differences -- a requirement of serving in a meritocracy if you will (fitness-level, discipline, etc).

So any social problem in the population, like being unfaithful, ends up being a problem in the military.

Trends in higher suicide and higher divorce rate have spiked (and caused alarm) due to a deployment tempo not seen in recent history, but those will flatten back out when this cycle ends (either through a pull-out or increased end cap for the most-deployed folks).

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,155 times
Hmmm...perhaps I have a different perspective. I was a military spouse but worked as a DoD civilian for 10 years in the higher-level offices (Wing/CC, Group/CC and Squadron/CC). I worked for 3 years for the group commander of a fighter wing and was totally surrounded by hundreds of fighter pilots. I had heard all the rumors (and needless to say, my husband was less-than-thrilled at my working there ) and had my own preconceived notions on what they were like. However, for every man (and I'm only saying "men" because in our entire group, there were only 2 women who were flying) who was walking around with a "newer model" and an ex-wife at home collecting support payments, there were plenty who were totally faithful and married for years.

However, I find it funny that the convention bureau in Las Vegas thinks they made up the phrase, "what happens here stays here". The saying, "what happens when you're TDY stays TDY" has been around in the military for a long time.

But to answer your question, I don't think a military person is a "higher risk" to date than a non-military person. If you find yourself a dog, he/she will be a dog whether they're in uniform or not. Temptation is always there...it could be the person who gets your Starbucks every day or the person you're stationed with in the desert for a year. People who cheat are going to cheat and those who don't...won't.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:07 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Trends in higher suicide and higher divorce rate have spiked (and caused alarm) due to a deployment tempo not seen in recent history, but those will flatten back out when this cycle ends (either through a pull-out or increased end cap for the most-deployed folks).
Divorce rates, however, are not necessarily an indicator of "faithfulness." There are so many people who get married in the military (perhaps they want to live life a little faster than "normal" folks) very young and then they get deployed and their spouses find themselves pregnant and alone. The family support center was absolutely bombarded with spouses who were looking for a support system because so many of these people are newly married and away from family. It's no wonder divorce rates are high...perhaps they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place. Trust me...you've got to be made of strong stuff to be a military spouse. There are a lot of people who are dazzled by the uniform and have no idea what it's like to be stationed in a place when your spouse gets a 10-month TDY assignment. Mine was deployed for 2, 1-year remote tours and a 10-month TDY in the 9 years we were married before he retired. Not easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues