Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:07 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
is there some kind of "cooling off period"
As explained to me years ago by a JAG Officer, technically, you do not retire from the military, you are in for life at a reduced rate of pay. You are in different states of reserve status.
I think we are getting a little off course, we don't really know the whole real story, and there are too many other variables blended in with barracks talk.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,265 times
Default Civil Service - Not Over Till It's Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
cant speak for service retirement have not done it but for civilian civil service smart move is to keep walking you are not out til you clear the parking lot dont look back say nothing -- many a guy has dropped the ball 5 yards from the goal post. just cash the monthy check that is your medal. buy your own gold watch with the money.
Huckleberry, I'm Civil Service (CS), WG-8 Step 3. In my short time working for Uncle Sam as a civilian, I believe you may be right. CS is a ball, but it's more "political" than active duty. I believe I know why: Older, "set in their ways" employees who don't take a lot of "crap" off anyone. I applied for a Wage Leader job and I'm glad I was passed over. Brother, some folks just need to grow up, the pettiness can be really silly. I agree with you wholeheartedly, press on and forget it. Life is too short.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:33 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I'm on terminal leave after 22 yrs of active duty. I'm watching my step all the way - and will continue to do so to the day I die. Would hate to jeopardize the monthly retirement check. OP - don't burn your bridges is a good rule of thumb to follow.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm on terminal leave after 22 yrs of active duty. I'm watching my step all the way - and will continue to do so to the day I die. Would hate to jeopardize the monthly retirement check. OP - don't burn your bridges is a good rule of thumb to follow.
Indeed, BucFan. Of a truth, the UCMJ nearly follows you to the grave Article 2 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (after age 60, you're no longer on the hook for "recall.")Retiree Recall for Military Personnel (that info is NOT service specific and is DoD policy). What I've discovered is, all that "tow the line" conditioning is so ingrained that I could never drink and drive, smoke weed, or knowingly write a bad check. The Air Force has molded me into a model citizen. After 22 years, you won't have a problem.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:55 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Imogajad, I had the pleasure to work with many fine USAF & DoD civilians over my career. But, as I considered my options after retiring from active duty and saw some of the nonsense that they had to put up with, I decided it would be better to just get away from the government arena entirely. I work for a large trucking company now and some of my favorite co-workers have military backgrounds. So, as bizarre as it sounds, I now enjoy some of the things about military/civil service that I wanted to get away from...

Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Default I Feel Ya, Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Imogajad, I had the pleasure to work with many fine USAF & DoD civilians over my career. But, as I considered my options after retiring from active duty and saw some of the nonsense that they had to put up with, I decided it would be better to just get away from the government arena entirely. I work for a large trucking company now and some of my favorite co-workers have military backgrounds. So, as bizarre as it sounds, I now enjoy some of the things about military/civil service that I wanted to get away from...
I was READY to leave the AF, and buddy, that was an understatement! I swore off Uncle Sam, for good (I thought). So I tried my hand at the civilian world. I was a Ground Support Tech at a very busy medivac outfit. $12 to start, $14 in six months, 10 hr x 4 days a week. Loved it, very challenging. Worked my way up to Purchasing/Parts Mgr. $18 an hour five days a week. Loved it. Company went bankrupt. Found another gig, Telecom Purchasing, $18 an hour. Couldn't wait to leave, verbally abusive supervisors (generally known as **s*oles) were not my cup of tea. Next, I was a dispatch at a local handling equipment dealer. Again, neandertheal supervision killed any desire to stay on. During this time frame, I applied/tested for the Postal Service and was called four times for jobs, (bulk mail, custodial, sorter, and letter carrier) but could not bring myself to get involved in Gov't employment. Finally I applied and was accepted for a maintenance position, WG-8, at Ft. Richardson. This has been a little slice of heaven. Do what you want, just stay busy. Initiative is yours, and yours alone. Zero micro-management. Pay? $26.95, hr. I've learned carpentry skills from work enabling a complete remodel of the 3BR side of our duplex that saved us nearly 10K in labor! Crew Chief, I really tried to stay away, but I guess the timing was right, and I was ready. Looking back, I'd gladly choose a Gov't gig over anything the civilian world offered. BOTTOM LINE: Whatever makes a body happy is where they should be!

Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
As explained to me years ago by a JAG Officer, technically, you do not retire from the military, you are in for life at a reduced rate of pay. You are in different state
I think that is technically wrong. After you retire you are on inactive reserves and can be called up if needed (rare)....it lasts a few years. After that you are out. All the way out.

To the rest, thx for waxing philosophic, but I really wasn't interested in a moral debate. Just hoping someone knew....

Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I think that is technically wrong. After you retire you are on inactive reserves and can be called up if needed (rare)....it lasts a few years. After that you are out. All the way out.
Being recalled to active duty and being on retirement rolls till you die are two different issues.

Rich

Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 18,949 times
Default Military A$$e$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Great post, Imagajad! I've found that my DD 214 and $4.50 will get me a Starbucks coffee...
Mine and $5.99 plus tax will do the same LOL. IM retired, and my unit really wanted me to stay, but they didn't cause me any grief- it was probably a holier than thou individual (You know da kine-) there are a$$holes in the civilian sector and there are A$$holes in the military sector- I just let it all go in one ear and out the other- my rank at retirement is E-6 but I would have retired E-7 except for extenuating circumstances (IOW my house burned down and I had to cancell the school I was in to get my next stripe-USAFR), I ran into those type individuals all over in the USMC but since I was usually sr or equivalent to them it didn't bother me untill they started on MY troops- THEN I would let them have it BOTH BARRELS!!- My men respected me because I took care of them and intervened on their behalf- IIn My entire military Career I had to write up 2 individuals-- one was a CAPT the other was a LCPL - I knew from before I signed up that 95% of problems can be solved offline and one on one (even if it took a little A$$ kicking to get my point across) My men understoof that when I said I needed something done that it needed done and they busted their A$$e$ for me (I wasn't afraid of rolling my sleeves up even as a Sgt)-

Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 18,949 times
Default retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Being recalled to active duty and being on retirement rolls till you die are two different issues.

Rich
Any service man/woman who retires is subject to recall to active duty at any time during their retirement years there is NO limit that is one responsibility to the Government for paying your pension. if you are a member of the READY RESERVES (inactive reservist) you are only subject to recall during the remaining term of your contract. I retired with 8 months remainig on my contract, but as I said earlier, there were mitigating circumstances- since I am officially retired (got the flag and certs to prove it) I have all the same benefits of an active duty member of the military- too bad there isn't a military base close enough to use the commissary and BX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues