U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 689 times

Advertisements

I knew a Jim fyock USAF police who went on exercise with a bunch of British squaddies along with a Sgt White are you the same bloke the Jim I know hurt his arm ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:45 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,442,840 times
I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall from around June 1972 - June 1974.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 353 times
Smile Rite of passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSawyer44 View Post
I was stationed at Welford AFB in 1961. We had barracks at that time. The NCO club was rockin every weekend. We even had slot machine in the NCO club. On saturday nights we had a Air Force bus that used to make the rounds to the surrounding towns to give rides to local people to attend our club. Maybe there's another old timer who can add input?
I was there '57-59, 17 years old and it was everything you described not to mention the fact that the locals bused in were very attractive friendly girls our age.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 301 times
Default Mr.Steven

I was stationed at RAF Welford in 1977. The 7551st ASUPS, I thank God I was never actually put in harms way by enemy forces.... but those guys I worked with here .... well let's just say there were close calls with them at the wheel. it was a Great time in my life and one I am certainly proud of.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:04 AM

1,914 posts, read 1,481,140 times
I went through the area a lot, but wasn't stationed there. I was an exchange instructor at the British Army's AFV Gunnery School in Dorset. As a member of the U.S. Army, that meant driving to the nearest U.S. facility to get APO mail, fuel coupons, etc. For the first year I was there I went to RAF West Ruislip on the NE side of London, about a 2 and half hour drive, one way. West Ruislip closed in 2005 and I then had to go RAF Fairford. Since Dorset doesn't have motorways, it was actually quicker to head east to Southampton, then north on the M3 to the A43 up to the M4, then back west to A419 up towards Lechlade-on-Thames to get there. As a result, I went past Welford about once a month or so.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 134 times
I was stationed at RAF Greenham Common and RAF Welford from Jan 83-Apr 86 and again from Apr 89-Apr 91. I was with the 501 SPS my first tour and enjoyed working mostly at RAF Welford on B & C flight. My second tour was short as I worked in Resources Protection at RAF Greenham Common during the phase out of GLCM before I was transferred to Sembach AB, GM. Truly being in the U.K. were my best tour of duty; many friends and memories.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 117 times
I was stationed there 1975 to 77, lived at Greenham Common, A1C Fred Cyprian, security police. I loved Newbury, hope to go back one day.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:06 AM

4,526 posts, read 1,307,388 times
The US Base at Fairford is to become fully operational again in order to host USAF RC-135 Rivet Joint and there may also be RAF RC-135's based there,

Increase in operations and relocation of RC-135 Rivet Joint intelligence-gathering aircraft at RAF Fairford worries resident

US looks to joint RC-135 base with the UK | Jane's 360

Welford is mainly an emergency ammunition compound for the United States Air Force in Western Europe, and is designated care and maintenance, meaning it's maintained but just in case.

It also looks like the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) which is normally held at Fairford may be moved, with Scampton in Lincolnshire now part of RIAT.

Scampton Airshow - Royal International Air Tattoo

Another US Base being expanded in Croughton in Northamptonshire.

Pentagon to open major 200m intelligence centre in Britain | The Independent

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-27-2017 at 07:21 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 09:38 AM

4,526 posts, read 1,307,388 times
The new American Air Museum in Britain Website part of the Imperial War Museum has information on numerous US Military locations including Welford, it's quite an interesting website.

Welford | American Air Museum in Britain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues