U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:21 PM

409 posts, read 1,555,719 times
Default Getting a civilian job abroad without joining the armed forces....

Is that even possible?
If so how can someone do it?

I've been looking into moving to Japan with a secure job, even if it requires a contract. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,133,839 times
Two places to check out would be federalsoup.com and USAJOBS. USAJOBS is the actual job listing site, and federalsoup is a site with lots of information on how to get a gov't job.

One way I know for sure to get a civilian job overseas is to be a teacher with DoDEA and teach at the DoDDS schools.

When we lived overseas, even on the tiny little base we were, there were civilians with NCIS, teaching at the colleges, and DoDDS.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:46 AM

3,842 posts, read 6,623,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
Is that even possible?

I've been looking into moving to Japan with a secure job, even if it requires a contract. Any advice?
Teaching english as a second language.

TONS of those opportunities..you just have to be extremely, extremely careful of the organization of which you sign. Moving to a foreign country, nonmilitary, means that you will be held accountable to their rules & regulations. It's absolutely amazing living in a different country & an experience I would recommend to mostly anyone, but it requires very, very detailed research.

As for teaching in a DoD school or civilian employment on a military base overseas...very tough job to get. They usually go to the military family member first followed by the expat.

There are civilian contracting jobs out there, but to say they are "desirable" is a different story. So, so much has changed in the past 3-5 years overseas. Such a different dynamic now.

You have to think of where the need is for the DoD and Japan isn't first on the list While North Korea is an extreme threat, they don't come close to the Middle East at this time.

Again, best bet would be teaching english as a second language. Most will hold you to a 12-24month contract. Another place to look would be Seoul which has an amazing vibe to it and a large American contingency. From there you could travel, and for cheap, to China, Thailand, Japan, Vietnam, and Australia Good luck!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM

2,176 posts, read 4,382,594 times
It's extremely competitive...Many people are looking for a GS slot in Japan. Not trying to discourage you, more or less set the correct expectations.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:54 PM

8,624 posts, read 11,630,470 times
Check out the USN website.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
It's extremely competitive...Many people are looking for a GS slot in Japan. Not trying to discourage you, more or less set the correct expectations.
I am aware of how dificult it is to secure a job abroad. I am just trying to think of the easiest most reliable way of getting there.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 AM

21,517 posts, read 27,120,938 times
The 'Office of Personnel Management' [OPM.gov] manages all hiring of all civilian Federal jobs.

Their website USAJOBs.gov is the website that lists ALL Federal job openings.

My Dw works for DECA. DECA has about a hundred locations stateside which are all frequently hiring, and about 200 locations overseas.

We have a close friend who works for DFAS. DFAS also has locations overseas, he was recently offered a transfer to an overseas position.

Folks already mentioned DODDS, and NCIS, but dont forget DECA, AFEES and DFAS.

Every US military base has civilian jobs in security, landscaping, maintenance, book-keeping, motor-pool, water-treatment, sewer-treatment, etc. These Federal jobs are located stateside as well as overseas. They are all listed on USAJOBS.gov and administered by OPM.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 AM

1,764 posts, read 4,455,234 times
Quote:
Is that even possible?

1) Learn how the resume system works.
2) Get on USAJOBs and apply for anything you're qualified to do, even if the pay seems a little low.
3) Once you're in the system, look for chances to compete for jobs overseas.

Or just wait it out for a chance to get hired off the street into an overseas job (difficult I'm sure).

Japan is probably one of the most difficult countries to go to as a US government employee, and with the pullback from Europe, going there is also difficult.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
2) Get on USAJOBs and apply for anything you're qualified to do, even if the pay seems a little low.
3) Once you're in the system, look for chances to compete for jobs overseas.

Or just wait it out for a chance to get hired off the street into an overseas job (difficult I'm sure).

Japan is probably one of the most difficult countries to go to as a US government employee, and with the pullback from Europe, going there is also difficult.
I have a solid resume. Years of experience. An economics degree and some MBA course work. I've tried that approach for years now. I've only been called twice but was required to interview in person. I live in south Texas and had interviews in Hawaii and San Diego.

A couple of years back I was very close to enlisting for 4 years with the Navy but did not do it in the end. My life long "urge" to join the armed forces has come back stronger than ever and I've made up my mind to enlist. Now I have to decide on what program and in what branch.....
I will try to get into the Officer Candidate School and take it from there. I am also waiting for the US border patrol to finish my background investigation. I also have that option, but I'd rather join the armed forces.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:08 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,133,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Quote:
I have a solid resume.
Do you know how the federal system works though? Its very different from getting a civilian job. You need the exact right keywords or your resume/app will get passed over. You could be exactly what they are looking for but without the magic keywords, you could be out of luck. Seriously.

If you already know about keywords and KSAs and how to integrate them into your federal app/resume, then forgive me for repeating information you already know.

Edit: I missed your part about enlisting/OCS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues