U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,959,302 times

Advertisements

Nukes generally are locked in for 6 years. Thats the longest requirement I know of. Most are in 2-4 year increments depending on if you re-up or not.

Yes, the GI bill will pay for your college.

No, you wont be required to serve as a recruiter unless for some reason (which probably wouldnt happen) you get orders to do so.

And as far Iraq/Aghanistan, sweetie, tough cookies. You have absolutely no say where that ship is bound for, and often you wont know for sure until you're headed there because ships movements are classified. You'll go where your ship is ordered to go. Seabees/Pilots are usually the ones who are land bound in those areas. Most jobs on a ship are geared toward running that ship. Or ou could go submarine and not have to worry about land at all. However, submarine communication with your family is virtually nonexistant for months at a time. Carriers it can be a few weeks before you can make a phone call. Be prepared, depending on your job, to work your butt off (19 hour shifts at times). The beds on ANY ship are tiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
but I have some questions:

1) Is it true that all Navy members will be required to serve 8 years and not anything less that a Navy recruiter tells you?

2) After joining will I be required to serve as a Navy recruiter?

3) Will they offer me financial aid for college?

4) I want to spend most of my time on a vessel and not be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. What Navy careers should I choose if I pass boot camp and the background tests?

Please answer!
1) It is an eight year contract, made of up of active duty and active reserve. It might be 2 and 6, 4 and 4, or 6 and 2. Depends on what you get into.

2) No.

3) They did when I was in: Montgomery GI Bill, as early as boot camp, you can make that choice. You have a certain amount of time to use it after you get out, or you lose it.

4) Good luck on that. Any rate has the capability of being deployed to a land base or sea duty. You can try doing GS or something like that (I can't even say that rate still exists, actually.)

Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,427 times
Thanks for the information, guys.

On the issue of years of service, according to one website EVERY military serviceperson is required to serve 8 years and none less:

Quote:
6. Once you complete your enlistment you can get out and won't be called back again.
Truth: Everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) who enters the military for their first time incurs a total eight-year service commitment. It doesn't matter if your contract says you're enlisting for two, three, four or five years active duty, you are obligated for a total of eight years. If you sign a six-year Guard/Reserve contract, and elect not to reenlist at the end of the six years, you will still be obligated for an additional two years.
Time not spent on active duty, or in the drilling reserves is spent in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserves). While in the IRR, one does not get paid, nor do they perform drill, but can be involuntarily recalled to active duty at any time. Right now, only the Army and Marine Corps have been recalling IRR members. The Army has recalled about 6,000 IRR members and the Marine Corps about 1,000. The Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard is not currently involuntarily recalling IRR members.

BTW, what is this active reserve thing?
In addition to IRR recalls, a program called STOP-LOSS allows the service to prevent (delay) separations and retirements during times of conflict. The Army and Marine Corps place individuals under STOP-LOSS when the person/unit is officially notified of an upcoming deployment (usually about 90 days before the deployment date) until 90 days following return from the deployment. The Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard do not currently have any STOP-LOSS programs in place, but have used it in the past.
Top 10 Lies (Some) Recruiters Tell

When the Navy recruiter said that the contract I'd sign only required 4 years of service, is he telling the truth? I've read some media reports claiming that recruiters lie about years of service in order to lure potential recruits.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,959,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
1) It is an eight year contract, made of up of active duty and active reserve. It might be 2 and 6, 4 and 4, or 6 and 2. Depends on what you get into.

2) No.

3) They did when I was in: Montgomery GI Bill, as early as boot camp, you can make that choice. You have a certain amount of time to use it after you get out, or you lose it.

4) Good luck on that. Any rate has the capability of being deployed to a land base or sea duty. You can try doing GS or something like that (I can't even say that rate still exists, actually.)
Not every rate. Some they spent too much money training to ever put in combat.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,228,040 times
There is no guarantee that you won't deploy in support of OIF/OEF; that's what being in the military is all about.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 AM

24,134 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Quote:
On the issue of years of service, according to one website EVERY military serviceperson is required to serve 8 years and none less:

When the Navy recruiter said that the contract I'd sign only required 4 years of service, is he telling the truth? I've read some media reports claiming that recruiters lie about years of service in order to lure potential recruits.
In the above case if nothing changes you serve 4 years of active service and then you will most likely be released and be placed in the inactive reserve. It can get complicated.

There is a difference in serving active duty and being in the inactive reserve. I personally do like like the entire article, it almost creates as many myths as it tries to explain.

Read the paragraph below and then the whole page at which is not as confusing: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...obligation.htm

"Everyone who enlists in the United States Military, whether its for active duty (full time) or National Guard/Reserves (part time) incurs a MINIMUM eight-year service obligation. That's right -- when you sign on the dotted line, you commit yourself for eight years!
Whatever amount of time is not spent on active duty (which is full-time duty) or spent in the Drilling Guard/Reserves (those who drill one weekend per month, and two weeks per year, and are subject to be called to active duty), is spent in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserves).
In the IRR, individuals are not required to drill, nor do they draw any pay, but their names remain on a list and they can be recalled to active duty at any time, until their total eight year service obligation is complete. "

Rich

Old 05-24-2010, 12:16 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Not every rate. Some they spent too much money training to ever put in combat.
I didn't say every one was going to be put into combat, but that they might be land based or sea based. Air traffic Controllers and Aerographer's Mates, for example. You cannot guarantee that you will only be put on a ship. You CAN pretty much guarantee being land-based IF you can get into the SeaBees, but aviation rates, for example, can either be land based at Naval Air Stations, or sea-based, carriers, LPHs, etc. They could conceivably have aircraft based out of Iraq at this point.

Or consider IS or CT. Either an LCC or land based rate.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,228,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
In the above case if nothing changes you serve 4 years of active service and then you will most likely be released and be placed in the inactive reserve. It can get complicated.

There is a difference in serving active duty and being in the inactive reserve. I personally do like like the entire article, it almost creates as many myths as it tries to explain.

Read the paragraph below and then the whole page at which is not as confusing: U.S. Military FAQ - What is the shortest period of time I can enlist in the Military?

"Everyone who enlists in the United States Military, whether its for active duty (full time) or National Guard/Reserves (part time) incurs a MINIMUM eight-year service obligation. That's right -- when you sign on the dotted line, you commit yourself for eight years!
Whatever amount of time is not spent on active duty (which is full-time duty) or spent in the Drilling Guard/Reserves (those who drill one weekend per month, and two weeks per year, and are subject to be called to active duty), is spent in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserves).
In the IRR, individuals are not required to drill, nor do they draw any pay, but their names remain on a list and they can be recalled to active duty at any time, until their total eight year service obligation is complete. "

Rich

Good description of the 8 year obligation.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 AM

14,095 posts, read 22,971,089 times
Quote:
but I have some questions:

1) Is it true that all Navy members will be required to serve 8 years and not anything less that a Navy recruiter tells you?

2) After joining will I be required to serve as a Navy recruiter?

3) Will they offer me financial aid for college?

4) I want to spend most of my time on a vessel and not be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. What Navy careers should I choose if I pass boot camp and the background tests?

Please answer!
If you sign up for a program that requires 6 year enlistement then you will be promoted to E-4 automatically which includes a pay raise. For the nuclear program, that extra year and rank doesn't go into effect unless you graduate from Nuclear A school, the first of three schools to becoming a nuclear engineer. You can sign up for 2 years but you'd also be committing yourself to several years of active reserves. The Navy, depending on your rating, is not likely to call up inactive reserves like they did for the Army and Marines.

for number 2, not exactly. They may ask you to go do odd jobs at your recruiter's office when on leave from bootcamp. It didn't happen often when I was in. Usually, they ask recent graduates to speak to new recruits getting ready to go off to bootcamp in order to give the recruits the latest info on bootcamp. At least that's what our local recruiting office did.

For 3, sign up for the Montgomery GI bill and while you're on a ship, begin taking courses when they become available. If you get shore duty, sign up with local community colleges to get you started. Some Navy courses and job experience qualify for college credits with some universities. If you go Nuclear, you can get maybe 18 credits depending on the university. You could get more, but the good Nuclear classes that would qualify you for major credits are classified so they're not open for university review.

For 4, there are a lot of jobs that go on ships. It's easier to say what jobs don't go on ships. SEALS and SEABEES are combat. Navy hospital corpsman can go to combat with Marines. Some corpsman never set foot on a ship and spend their entire enlistment in America in a hospital. All depends on the luck of the draw. The engineering ratings will almost always get you a ship. Desk jockey ratings could get you ships or shore duty. There's also computer ratings that work ship or shore duty. Read up on the ratings, go online to talk to people who've worked in those ratings, and then use this information to decide what rating you want to shoot for. Know what you want before you sign up. If you sign up with no idea what you want, you'll spend a lot of time doing no where jobs. Also, some jobs have better advancement than other jobs. Some jobs are over stuffed and advancement is hard. Some jobs are hard to get into so advancement is pretty easy. That's the nuclear field. If you can pass all three nuclear schools and keep your nose clean, you can get promotions and possibly a good paying job at a nuclear power plant right out of the Navy.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,427 times
OK, can someone answer this:

1) My Navy recruiter said that when I join I will sign a 4-year contract. Does that mean that I will only serve four years active duty and then be allowed to leave?

2) What is this active reserves/inactive reserves thing? How many years does one serve in them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues