Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

My husband is getting out of the Marine Corps at the end of the year so we will be relocating from NC to MO. The military will pay for our relocation obviously- but my husband and I are debating on whether we should allow the Military- selected Movers to do it for us, or whether we should just rent a couple of U Hauls and get the money from the military for the move.

I have a substantial amount of valuable antique furniture, which is why my husband wants to UHaul it ourselves... and it's why I personally want professionals to do it for us.

We are looking at about a 1000 mile move. I have had friends who have had the military move them from CA to NC and swear that letting the professionals do it is the best option, as you're insured for any damages to contents, but my husband doesn't trust them to take good care of it.

What are your experiences with moving and PCSing or getting out of the Military?

What option would you choose? What would be better value for us in the long run?

Thanks for your input in advance

-Amber

P.S. If we do move ourselves, we won't have anyone on the other end to help us unload. Even though we've moved ourselves twice before (within town with just a UHaul as we only moved a couple of miles) we have accumulated a *lot* since then which is why I find the prospect overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
I grew up in the military in the days when they would move you every 2-3 years. Even as a kid I was impressed with the military movers ... except that they moved EVERYTHING, including garbage you forgot to mark "garbage" or otherwise put aside.

I would definitely have the military guys move you, unless you can save a substantial amount by U-Hauling everything yourselves? BTW U-Haul also has links to moving helpers now -- I have used them with good results, and they weren't too expensive. Might be a good option for unloading.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
except that they moved EVERYTHING, including garbage you forgot to mark "garbage" or otherwise put aside.
Hehehe..... We bought a bucket of KFC to eat on the moving day. We thought the movers had ate it... 40 months later, there it was, in all it molded glory, the KFC bucket and dinner, well wrapped and not damaged...

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
My husband is getting out of the Marine Corps at the end of the year so we will be relocating from NC to MO. The military will pay for our relocation obviously- but my husband and I are debating on whether we should allow the Military- selected Movers to do it for us, or whether we should just rent a couple of U Hauls and get the money from the military for the move.
My inlaws owned moving companies, I worked part time moving household goods on occasion...

It is a no brainer for us. We let the military contractors do all the work on all our moves (when authorized) in our 22 years in the military. I have packed and moved a few select items when able to.

Good luck to you!

Rich

Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
I agree, let the military do it. for all of the reasons listed above

Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Thanks for your responses everyone...

Hopefully they'll convince my husband to agree with me

Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,724 times
if you do it yourself, you should be able to pocket a GOOD chunk of change....BUT its SUCH A PAIN! I'm debating the same thing right now. Separating here in 3 months and moving back to Arizona

Old 06-13-2012, 03:40 AM

167 posts, read 470,083 times
I would let the military move your things. Make sure your furniture is insured for full value, not just basic insurance. Also check on length of storage at your destination. Some antiques are glued with a fish based glue which may come apart during transportation vibration. If you do do it yourself I think Penske has better trucks.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:56 AM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
You can do half and half.....

You take your items that you want, get to see the country and get paid for it.

1000 miles is about 2-3 days of driving, depending on you of course.

I did a partial move from Fairbanks Alaska to Ft. Carson and I have never regreated it.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 AM

370 posts, read 1,564,500 times
I would have to agree, let the military do it. The contractors are constantly being evaluated and they seem to do a better job. You can ask, at the briefing, but I'm not sure if they differentiate between "old" and "antique" as far as insurance. Keeping receipts or appraisals may help if you need to file a claim - the important thing is to let them unpack and NOTE any damage. We had stuff scratched during one move and they paid to have it restored. I'm not sure if you get actual or replacement value but almost anything can be fixed these days (but don't concentrate on that). Take photos to support your claim, if necessary. I think the rule is the same, if you pack it then you are responsible for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues