U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,324 times

Advertisements

After considering the military for many years, I finally approached a recruiter recently about joining the Navy. As a swimmer he recommended the Navy SEAL program. I just recently passed the physical screening test and qualified for a contract. I'm very committed to serving and going where I belong, but I've been warned by others that recruiters are very pushy to get people to sign contracts (he told me it is void after tomorrow... just got it today...true or not?) and as a college grad, others have told me that I should qualify as an officer. (98 on ASVAB)

I'm being given conflicting information from the rectruiter and my friends and honestly I don't know who to believe! If I enlist in the SEALs, does that reduce my chances of picking up a commission later? I haven't started on an officer package and the officer recruiter I talked to recently said I don't need to submit it until closer to my ship date (August 2010).

Do I sign the contract tomorrow or hold off until I get more information about becoming an officer? Please help- many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,967,124 times
When you enlist for SEALS, you aren't guaranteed to be in the SEALS. Several guys I worked with enlisted with a particular job rating and later applied for the SEALS. That way if they drop out, they'll still have a good job rating to fall back on. It sounds like your recruiter is getting pushy. I'd go over his head and ask to speak to his commanding officer, the one in charge of that recruiting station. You very well may qualify to be an officer. Go back to your university or whatever university is nearby to speak with the local ROTC commander. He or she should be able to give you better information.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,434,532 times
I can't answer your questions but I do want to offer a suggestion. If the Navy does not work out, as a strong swimmer you should look at Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer and AF Pararescue (CRO - Combat Rescue Officer is the officer level for this). Just wanted to let you know you have a couple of other options to keep in your pocket if the Navy recruiter gets pushy or can't give you what you are looking for.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 PM

792 posts, read 1,056,472 times
Never make a life changing decision of that nature under any pressure...other than that self imposed. The Navy Seal program is second to none...however there are no "guarantees", to qualify and succeed will require much more than a good GPA....the program is tough mentally, physically, and academically. Should you ultimately decide that the Seal program is the "right" choice....and you complete and succeed....you will never see life through that same set of eyes again....Good luck

Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,967,124 times
An example of something that happened to a guy I knew regarding SEAL training. He was accepted into the training program at a time his wife was pregnant. While in the program his wife had a miscarriage. They took him aside and informed him of what happened. They told him he had two choices: he could remain in the program and possibly graduate or he could leave the program to be with his wife. If he left to be with his wife then he was completely out of the program. He choose his wife. Many who enter the program are physically capable of being a Navy SEAL. However, it's the mental and emotional aspect that will ultimately decide if you can be a SEAL. I had a general idea what it took to be a SEAL and knew it wasn't for me. I turned around and signed up for a program that had the second highest drop out rate,...Navy Nuclear Power program. I couldn't handle the stress of the second of the three schools. The first two schools put you under stress in many ways. Most of the drop outs happen in the second school. What gets some dropped out of the third school is the fact that it's self paced. You work on your own but you only have a certain amount of time to complete the training. That test is to see if you're a responsible self starter who can work with little to no supervision. Once I was out of the second school, it was like I was walking on air. Like the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders and I was finally free. There was just too much going on outside of school for me to handle what was going on in that school. Probably could have made it through if all that garbage hadn't been happening. Oh well, coulda, shoulda, woulda. Didn't happen and I moved on. Some people aren't use to failure and can't handle the loss. Just remember, it ain't the end of the world. Just move on and make the best of what you got. Three guys I went to bootcamp with tried to kill themselves in Nuke school. One was successful. He waited by a busy interstate highway and stepped out in front of a big rig.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:41 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin2010 View Post
After considering the military for many years, I finally approached a recruiter recently about joining the Navy. As a swimmer he recommended the Navy SEAL program. I just recently passed the physical screening test and qualified for a contract. I'm very committed to serving and going where I belong, but I've been warned by others that recruiters are very pushy to get people to sign contracts (he told me it is void after tomorrow... just got it today...true or not?) and as a college grad, others have told me that I should qualify as an officer. (98 on ASVAB)
Your ASVAB has no connection to your eligibility to being an officer.

To be an officer is entirely based upon your degree.

Quote:
... I'm being given conflicting information from the rectruiter and my friends and honestly I don't know who to believe! If I enlist in the SEALs, does that reduce my chances of picking up a commission later?
You 'chances' of being picked-up for officer are about 1 in 1,000,000

Quote:
... I haven't started on an officer package and the officer recruiter I talked to recently said I don't need to submit it until closer to my ship date (August 2010).

Do I sign the contract tomorrow or hold off until I get more information about becoming an officer? Please help- many thanks!
For every ten recruits who signs to be a seal, there will be 9 disabled vets and 1 seal.

That one seal will likely be disabled within 2 years.

Not to rain on your parade, but I am career Navy.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,896,253 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they change the training process? When I was in Spec War, SEAL's went through ordinary rate training and then volunteered for BUDS after getting rated. Same with SBU's, except that SBU personnel eventually rotated out due to the fact that 9533 was a secondary NEC as opposed to a primary NEC that was assigned to SEAL's.

Nowadays, SBT's are manned by personnel who are no longer rated as EN's, ET's, QM's etc but as Special Warfare Operators, and SEALs are trained following boot camp. I know for a fact that the SBT's (formerly SBU's) are a closed loop as were the teams in the 80's. I could be wrong about the SEALs, but I know I'm right about the spec boat teams.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,030,960 times
I'll give you the same advice I give every young man concerning elite groups: Join the Army Infantry first, as an enlisted man, and get a real taste of combat at grunt level before you jump in with both feet.

Like many young men, you may find that war, and killing at nose-to-nose level, really isn't all that exciting.

Last edited by stillkit; 08-14-2009 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Change comments

Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 AM

519 posts, read 1,555,395 times
Join the Marines as an 03. If you like that, go RECON or MARSOC.

/thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:00 PM

3,699 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'll give you the same advice I give every young man concerning elite groups: Join the Army Infantry first, as an enlisted man, and get a real taste of combat at grunt level before you jump in with both feet.

Like many young men, you may find that war, and killing at nose-to-nose level, really isn't all that exciting.
Not to mention that they are also going to be trying to kill you, too.
And the THEY usually have more to gain and less to lose.

As an infantryman, he can always take further tastes of the John Wayne/Lee Marvin lifestyle, one piece of cake at a time:
Airborne school.
Ranger school.
Apply for Special Forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
Join the Marines as an 03. If you like that, go RECON or MARSOC.

/thread
I had a best HS bud who wanted me to join the Marines on the buddy program, so we could go to Vietnam and get shot at/kill commies/collect ears together.

He'd seen about two dozen more John Wayne movies than I had; I passed on this career opportunity and he signed.

His plan was Force Recon after basic.
After basic, which BTW he hated with a passion, his plan was to get the hell out ASAP.
Needless to say, Force Recon was a distant, laughable memory while he slogged in VN, hating his CO in particular and the USMC in general.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 08-14-2009 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues