Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,530,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Given this economy, you're probably right. I believe "real wages" in the civilian sector have gradually fallen. And I guess military pay got SO bad in the 1980's that President Reagan pushed through an 11% raise....
I still remember that big raise. I do not think the credit goes to Reagan though as much as I liked him. The pay raise was right after he took office so the bill was already passed under Carter. Where the credit belongs to? I do not know so I will place it on Carter even though to me he was a dismal economic failure. The raise was 13% if I remember correctly in January 1980, or 81?
It was a great raise. I wish I could get the same raise right before I retire!! I doubt it, lol.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,118,254 times
I was in the navy in mid sixties and was approaching 2 years when draft was stopped. E-1,2,3 with under 2 years recieved about 15% pay raise.

Guess they had to get pay up if they were going to have to recruit!

Reason for big pay raises in Carters days~ inflation was in the double digit area. When I started E-3 takehome pay was $32 one payday and $36 the next. As I was in Hawaii it didn't go too far. Always had to pay for my haircuts, cigarettes, movies. Guess that was an army perk. But chow was somewhere between excellent and wonderfull~ maybe thats why we won best mess award pacific

Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,379,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Sailordave, I see that you've never worked for a truckload carrier...
I didn't say "ALL", I said MOST.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,104,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
I was in the navy in mid sixties and was approaching 2 years when draft was stopped. E-1,2,3 with under 2 years recieved about 15% pay raise.

Guess they had to get pay up if they were going to have to recruit!

Reason for big pay raises in Carters days~ inflation was in the double digit area. When I started E-3 takehome pay was $32 one payday and $36 the next. As I was in Hawaii it didn't go too far. Always had to pay for my haircuts, cigarettes, movies. Guess that was an army perk. But chow was somewhere between excellent and wonderfull~ maybe thats why we won best mess award pacific
the draft didn't end til the early 70's

Old 09-25-2009, 12:15 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,795,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I doubt my dog would eat, well, he would eat it but he eats his own poop
Well, actually, when a dog does this, he is eating his own scat so he will not give away your position to predators, it is one of the ways that dogs will attempt to be useful to their owners.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 AM

543 posts, read 996,426 times
Let's see if this song will set somethings straight:
"They say that in the navy the pay's might and fine/they give you $100 and take back $99".
That's how it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues