U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,085 times

Advertisements

Both my cousin and I were drafted. Me into the Army my cousin into the Marines. We both served in Vietnam. A friend of mine was drafted into the Navy. They tried to convince him to extend to 4 years but he declined. His punishment was they made him a lifeguard at an officer's club in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 07:25 PM

553 posts, read 407,875 times
When I was at the Armed Forces Entrence and Examining Center in Omaha in December of 1971 Somebody in khakis came up to the men ahead of me and said, "You four men, you're going to be Marines!" In Boot Camp there was one recruit who seemed to be ancient--though he was probably only 27 or 28. Word was that he'd run out of deferrments and had to serve so chose the Navy. While in transit I met a man who was in the Air Force. He explained that he'd been drafted, but when he failed his
Army physical he was told that because he had been drafted he would still have to serve and was to pick out one of the other services. So he chose the Air Force. My Cousin was drafted into the Air Force, liked it and made a career of it.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 PM

553 posts, read 407,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The average IQ in the Marines went UP during the 1960's because of the draftees.
Probably true, but more famous were "MacNamera's 100,000". Each year 100,000 men were turned down from military service for lack of intelligence. Then-Defence Secretary MacNamera ordered the Military to take these men in anyway and find jobs for them. We were warned to be on the lookout for these guys. They were apt to turn the power on while we were working on the equipment set off the ejection seat while you're in there and and apply so many coats of paint hatches on guns won't seal proppery and won't fire, and all sorts of other mischief because they were too dumb to know what they're doing.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
...and roughly half of the Marines sent over in '50 when SHTF were WW II vets, confirmed by people I know who were called up, and 3 books I've read about the Korean War.

One guy I know enlisted in the Coast Guard during Vietnam, he ended up at MEPS in Buffalo during '66, and sure enough 10 or so from the draftees in his group were "volunteered" for the Marines.

Semper Fidelis
I may have been one of the married guys, PLT 184 28march66

Old 02-06-2015, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,478 times
I was drafted on march 28, 1966, to San Diego PLT 184

Old 11-08-2015, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 983 times
MARINE CORPS HAD TWO DRAFTS Spring AND summer of 1951
I and 2 friends enlisted in Aug OF 1951 from PA---------WE were sent to PARIS ISLAND from Pa (by train) with 2 carloads of
draftees from NJ , MASS, NY & PA
Lived in "TENT CITY"
There was a platoon of over 90 draftees from Porto Rico training close to us also.
Harry Truman signed orders for CORPS to accept Black NAVY/ARMY cooks, etc with NCO rank to SHIP-OVER
and maintain their rank (without boot camp) and went to NCO school. (99% sure of that)

Old 11-08-2015, 06:38 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,285,920 times
March 16 1966. MCRD San Diego. Quonset huts and tents.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:54 PM

6,803 posts, read 5,345,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I did meet one guy drafted into the Marines. He said it was Jan of 66.

The reason I asked is after I returned from the Navy, many people called me a liar when I said I got drafted into the Navy ( even Navy men)

They usually said-------" you got your draft notice,then enlisted in the Navy"
I was in the US Navy from 60 to 66 and I would have said the same thing. Not that I was correct.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 696 times
I was drafted 2/66, PI , Camp Lajuene, San De, Okinawa, 13mo,20 day vietnam,northern sector, Carroll-, Khe san, Dong ha, Phubi, rock pile ,ba long valley, Frisco & out in 2/68. 84 showed up for draft, 4 of us went to the corps, never regret it. Semper-fi

Old 06-05-2016, 08:08 PM

742 posts, read 349,272 times
I was drafted Feb 68...remember a few out of the bunch going to the MC..surprised me..had never heard of it until then..but I do remember some of the officers trying to talk us into signing up for an extra year promising us our choice of duty station..yeah right..no thanks..and sure enough, most of those that did ended up going to Nam anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues