Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 PM

9 posts, read 37,168 times

Advertisements

On May 1, 1968 (shortly after the Tet offensive) I was standing in line at the Chicago Induction Center finishing up my physical when an Army Sgt. placed a blank sheet of "pink" paper on my stack of paperwork. When I got to the window, the medical staff person at at the desk asked, "Who gave you this?" (as he helded up the pink paper). I said, some Army Sgt. He then took me to a large empty room with several unmanned desks at the front, and told me to wait. Soon 3 other guys showed up with the same Pink Paper story. They told us we could smoke if we had them. I noticed a small USMC plaque on one of the desks where we were standing. Soon the Army Sgt. came back and informed us 4 that we were being drafted into the Marine Corps. We had seperate orders and stayed together in a group on our trip to MCRD San Diego. In boot camp our service number had an SS (Selective Service) in front of them, so the DI (Drill Instructor) knew who we were. Attitude adjustments were made to us accordingly. Only two of us ended up in Vietnam. Myself and another heavyset guy named George. I later saw George in Vietnam, he was very thin. The other two Marines made PFC out of bootcamp (which is very rare) and stayed in the states (we stay in contact). I was very lucky and feel being in the Marine Corps was the best thing that ever happened to me. Semper Fidelis (always fathful) - best outfit hands down! In my opinion the Camaraderie in the Marine Corps us unmatched by all the other services combined. If I had to do it over again, I would enlist, maybe even try to become an officer. Dean Glorso, USMC Vietnam 1968-1969
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,635 times
I was drafted in the Marines in Dec 10 1968. I thought I was going into the army at the Oakland Induction center. They told me I could get 2 weeks Christmas leave that night and come back after Christmas to go into the army. Some marine told 200 people to get out of the line(including my self ) and forced us into the Marines. When I ask about the Christmas leave he told me that the marines don,t give Christmas leave. With that statement, i knew it was going to bad in the Marines. I was right. I hated being a draftee in the marines. Michael Brotsis

Old 10-27-2013, 08:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
From eHistory at OSU | Online Books | US Marines in Vietnam: 1968 The Defining Year Page 560
Quote:
**During 1968, the Marine Corps made three draft calls: in April for 4,000 men. May for l ,900 men, and December for 2,500 men. Starring in February 1969, the Marine Corps made a draft call every month, with the exception of July and August 1969> unti1 February 1970.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-11-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,732 times
They also were drafting in 1966.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,469 times
Drafted 2/2/67 at St. Louis, MO. To the best of my memory no inductees into USMC that day. I have friends who were drafted thru St. Louis in 1966 and 1968 who were taken aside to be Marines. The 1966 man lost an arm in NAM. The 1968 man ended up in Alaska. One never knows what lies ahead on "The Road of Life" BROVN6768/TetVet A Proud Draftee US56585543

Last edited by Jack Curry; 12-29-2013 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 01-02-2014, 02:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
The average IQ in the Marines went UP during the 1960's because of the draftees.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:27 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I enlisted in the Marines and started boot camp in March 1966 at MCRD San Diego. Our platoon had several draftees, including two mid 20's married men who weren't exactly happy about their situation. I recall another draftee who could barely read and write but was deemed fit for service.

I learned much later that in 1966 MCRD San Diego had the largest intake of recruits in the history of the base.
the training period was reduced from 12 to 8 weeks. Only 7 weeks were actual military training.

I read a book some time ago on the Korean War and it stated that some Marine recruits of that era were from reserve units and had never been to boot camp at all. They were shipped to Korea, given some basic weapons training and sent into combat.
...and roughly half of the Marines sent over in '50 when SHTF were WW II vets, confirmed by people I know who were called up, and 3 books I've read about the Korean War.

One guy I know enlisted in the Coast Guard during Vietnam, he ended up at MEPS in Buffalo during '66, and sure enough 10 or so from the draftees in his group were "volunteered" for the Marines.

Semper Fidelis

Old 01-17-2014, 10:31 PM
jqg

1 posts, read 5,348 times
Default u s navy draftee

I was drafted into the navy in Oct. 7; 1965 at Cincinnati ; Oh. Like Marmac who ask the question in a post back in 2009; no one believes me either. At the induction center they ask for 10 volunteers for USMC. Not one hand went up so they pointed out 10 guys and informed them that they were going to become marines. Later they informed us that the navy would be taking 5 draftees. Lots of volunteers raised their hands; including me. They took us for a battery of test and later that day called 5 names; including me; and told us we were going to the navy. When I reported aboard ship they didn't know how to classify me; USNR or regular navy. I for sure was not USNR ;and had never been USNR; so they finally decided I was regular navy and that is what my records would show. I have never met another navy draftee and can't find any info on how many of us there were. I do recall hearing that the count was less than 2000 and it was the first draft for the navy since WW2.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,218 times
I was drafted into the Corps May 5, 1968. There were 4 of us and we were not randomly chosen. We were all called by name. On the way to PI, we found out that we all had some college and high AFQT scores.
Still proud to be a Marine!!!

Old 10-04-2014, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,797 times
My cousin was drafted into the Marines and I was drafted into the Army. Both of us ended up in Vietnam. A friend of mine was drafted into the Navy. They tried to have him extend his service to 4 years but he declined. His punishment. They made him a Lifeguard at an officers club in Florida for his 2 year tour. Not a bad deal for a draftee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues