U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM

2,183 posts, read 6,219,864 times

Advertisements

The advice we need to give him IF SF ISN'T SOMETHING HE WANTS TO DO is find out if he has a guaranteed job in SF and if so how he can swap it over to something else as he's leaving very soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,904,455 times
Former SF here.

You can be lucky like me and get sweet-ass NATO assignments in Germany and then Belgium. 4 days on, 4 days off. Deployments everywhere in the Balkans. It was awesome. Like a 4-year European vacation.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 AM

2,117 posts, read 4,090,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Former SF here.

You can be lucky like me and get sweet-ass NATO assignments in Germany and then Belgium. 4 days on, 4 days off. Deployments everywhere in the Balkans. It was awesome. Like a 4-year European vacation.
I second that.

I got lucky and got stationed to a NATO base in the Netherlands (JFC Brunssum). Don't do 4 on 4 off, but 6 on 4 off eight hour shifts.

But, beware. These bases are really closing down. A nearby base in Belgium, Glons, is being restructured and SF won't be there anymore. Other bases in Belgium are Shape, Kleine Brogel, Chieves (Sp). However, NATO might ruin you, it's so horribly run.

Anyways, getting on with it then...

You'll get to shoot lots of guns and throw grenades and things of that sort, especially in Tech School. You'll mostly be responsible for defending an Air Base or possibly convoys when you deploy. When on home station, you'll either be in a Law Enforcement type of role or a security role.

This is true, in Tech School. However, once you get to your first base shooting guns comes in the form of qualification. Not much gun-shooting here. Wouldn't even say it's enough for familiarization/practice. Defending bases, guarding flight lines, and doing MP work is what you will do at most bases when you're deployed. Convoys, maybe. Guarding Iraqi/Afghan detainees throwing poop at you? Yes. PRT (Provincial Reconstruction Team), yes. When you get back to your home station your first four years will probably be spent guarding flight lines, weapon storage areas, working the front gate, or guarding other various buildings. Probably won't do LE until after your four year mark.. and by that time, hoping you haven't already been discouraged.

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT put down anything that is Northern Tier on your assignment sheet. These bases include Minot, Malmstrom, and FE Warren. I wouldnt put down Whiteman or Barksdale either. These are whats known as PRP bases. Meaning you have to have a special clearance that allows you to work there. And once you're there...they dont want to let you go. And they can be some of the most miserable assignments in the AF.

100% true. I had a non cop supervisor telling me that Minot wasn't all that bad. Yeah right. She wasn't the one out in the field 5 days at a time, four days back (2 training days) working 16-18 hour days. Now with all that crap (flying nukes over the country, NSI failures) happening at Minot, definitely not a good time to go. But, getting on with it.. if you find yourself at a NTIER base it will be hard to get out. I was lucky, I managed to escape after 2 1/2 years. Sometimes, entire SF classes get sent to ntier bases. Stay ahead of the game, just put overseas down during basic.

Since the wars on terror, you're not even given the option to submit a crosstrain request for SF. However at re-enlistment you can apply to become a dog handler or weapons handler. I hang out with a lot of them at my base and here's my "hearsay", so take it like a grain of salt. I would say this, if you do not want a civilian career as being a cop, look for another job.

Becoming a dog hander or CADM is called lateral cross training. You're still in your career field, but you do a different shred, which is those two afermentioned items. You won't be able to do these two things until after your three year mark. As a first term airman you would be able to cross train into other critically manned career fields (suggest TACP), this might change in the future though.

Here's what they complain about the most, long hours, long frequent deployments to bare bases, on your feet nearly your entire shift, generally just standing around on the hot (or freezing) pavement, not being relieved to either go to the bathroom or get food for long periods of time, lots of exercises/inspections-some without notice, very easy to lose stripes for bad behavior, a lot of unhappy people work in the career field. I would recommend researching the field more if what I said dis-concerns you...

Wouldn't say long deployments to bare bases, since most places are built up now. SF don't really go to fire bases either. Whether you are sitting or standing, you will most likely be looking at a patch of grass your first four years. 12 hour + shifts and cold meals are quite common, sometimes no food. Exercises and inspections aren't bad, but its the preperation and the shock-factor about them. Prospect of failure is scary and losing stripes, getting bad paperwork is common, yes. SF are held to a higher standard, so the punishment you get for as an SF will be less in a different career field. Lots of unhappy people, yes.

As for the negatives the ones that pushed me into finally getting out of that field were the having to call for a bathroom break which could take a while and the fact that so many Security Forces are just flat out jerks that will screw over anyone to better their situation. I couldnt be like that and felt I got walked over sometimes. So I bailed.

It is common that the people in the SF career field "eat their own".. and by this, they'll do anything to get ahead. So yes, they will screw over ANYONE to make their situation better. Which, more often than not, won't.

At most bases, security forces get in trouble the most. This happens a lot around the northern tier bases.

I'm not saying stay away, but if you're smart and want to pursue good goals in life, stay away from SF. There are really good opportunities in security forces, but they are very slim and hard to reach, sometimes completely out of reach.

I'm SF, I can honestly say I don't enjoy it. I tried to cross-train many times. I was stationed here at a NATO base in Holland.. I'm going back to the states soon (unfortunately) because of some base manning issues (mandatory mover). I've managed to get five classes away from my undergrad degree, finished my CCAF, won airman of the year twice... even if your job sucks and you hate it... you signed up so, make the best of the situation =).

p.s., make sure you go overseas. european women are 1000x better than american women. fact.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,477 times
Im thinking about enlisting and doing the SF. Does the security forces ever go into combat or they just guard the base??

Old 02-12-2011, 05:34 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,435,894 times
You don't go into Combat anymore...it's all around you. Careful what you wish for. If you are interested in Combat Arms...recommend the USMC and US Army Infantry. If you are interested in Law Enforcement, Security, Force Protection, and Antiterrorism...sign on to AF/SF. Google "820th Contingency Response Group".

Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 AM

21,983 posts, read 32,283,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb1010 View Post
Im thinking about enlisting and doing the SF. Does the security forces ever go into combat or they just guard the base??
All U.S. Military forces are subject to ending up in a combat zone.

Rich

Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 10,507 times
Wow, I came here looking to ask questions about SF (I leave for basic April 30th) seeing if it was a good job to get into (I requested it knowing some of the downsides) and I learned a lot. Some of the information was a bit disconcerting but from what I gathered, it's what you make it. I want to go into law enforcement afterwards (Possibly DEA) and I felt this would put me a cut above the rest. My friend who's been enlisted for 2 years told me Minot was a horrible place and I'm glad I got to see other opinions on it. Here's my 1 question though: What are my chances of being stationed/based at McDill AFB in Tampa, Fl? I understand people tell me to travel while I'm enlisted which is definitely an option but my first option on my dream sheet will be McDill. If that doesn't happen, than some European country (I hear tell the women there love an American man in uniform). My second question, my curiosity than anything, what's the position on tattoos in the AF? I know it's not a priority but I want to get more. Thanks guys, I feel like I'm getting REAL answers and not the run-of-the-mill promises from the recruiters.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 PM

2,138 posts, read 4,079,420 times
The tattoo reg is nothing neck and and up, and any exposed body part no more than 25% coverage.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 AM

4 posts, read 10,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
The tattoo reg is nothing neck and and up, and any exposed body part no more than 25% coverage.
So no sleeves. I wanted to look into starting my 3/4 sleeve whil I was enlisted.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM

2,138 posts, read 4,079,420 times
You can get sleeves, but you would always need to keep them covered in uniform. That means during PT, always wearing the long sleeve shirt or coat, only long sleeve blues combinations, and never removing your top from your utility uniform. I guess technically it is doable, but wouldn't want to be working in the middle east in long sleeves, just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues