U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,938 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about what are the chances of the Air Force sending a married couple overseas? I'm going into SF and I've been looking at bases that I would like to get stationed at. Really trying to go overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,695 times
Smile Finishing up HS, Joining the AF

Evening, i'm about to graduate high school (mid-term grad) and I've known for the past 6 years of my life that this is what I've wanted to do (join the AF that is). For a very long time now I've been considering SF. I love law enforcement type jobs, and can personally see my life in this career field. I've read all the personal treads that people say about SF, all the factorial information on it, and have personally talked to many airmen & officers who are in this field. I was just hoping for some more impute on this field seeing as the people who were low ranking typically hated it, and the people with high rankings typically loved it (mainly because they sat behind a desk rather than field work). I'm personally intrigued in doing field work (even at higher ranks). As I said, I was just hoping for some more impute on this field, and also, if anyone could put a list on of all the potential things that SF can specialize in, or assist in branching off too (like OSI)? Thank you for your time

Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 PM

22,998 posts, read 35,211,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvisceratorWill View Post
or assist in branching off too (like OSI)? Thank you for your time
This is the Air Force OSI web page, for civilians, officers, enlisted and reservists: Air Force OSI - FAQ Topic

Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 PM

1,265 posts, read 2,083,267 times
Default Why is Air Force Security Forces seen negatively by some people?

What makes it a "bad" job and why is it one of the most undermanned according to this link?

Air Force Stressed Job Listing -- Enlisted

It seems like a pretty decent job, that could give you good experience if you want to go into security, and it seems attainable if you qualify for it and pass it since its in the undermanned category?

What is so bad about it?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 PM

22,998 posts, read 35,211,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
What makes it a "bad" job and why is it one of the most undermanned according to this link?

Air Force Stressed Job Listing -- Enlisted

It seems like a pretty decent job, that could give you good experience if you want to go into security, and it seems attainable if you qualify for it and pass it since its in the undermanned category?

What is so bad about it?
Who said it is a 'a "bad" job'?

The article you referenced is about stress, and the job is not the most stressful. There are four other AFSC's more stressful than Security Forces. But different people deal with various military jobs differently...

Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 AM

2,797 posts, read 4,245,344 times
To a lot of airman don't put Security Forces but end up in it retrain after 4 years and leave the field with a bad taste. Other people look down on security as grunts with guns while the majority of the rest of the Air Force is extremely technically orientated. Also those guys work a lot of long hours, crazy shifts, and are held to extremely high standards, as a lot of them guard highly classified material, multi million dollar planes, and nuclear weapons.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 AM

645 posts, read 1,660,849 times
Because it's a dumb boring job. A lot of what they do is similar to a what a security guard does.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM

4,322 posts, read 7,025,524 times
Same reason Security Guards in the civilian sector are looked at negatively, it's a boring job that doesn't require a lot of technical skill. While it's a needed profession, there isn't much glamour in it.

Another problem with Security Forces is that Recruiters sell it as being a "Cop" so a lot of new recruits think they are going to be performing law enforcement duties and are disappointed when they learn they are just guards.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM

4,776 posts, read 3,119,877 times
The Navy has their version of security forces. They are called Marines. The Marines are used for much more than security duty, though. It is these other duties, like assaulting beaches and guarding diplomats and such that provides the Marines with respect. If it were not for the Marines, the Navy would have its own version of Security Police, similar to the Air Force. I believe the Navy still has their own non-Marine security forces, though, but on a smaller scale.

Perhaps the Air Force could go the same route as the Navy, but I doubt they would get much support for the additional costs involved for a new force. The only alternative I can see would be to re-combine the Air Force and the Army under the same command, as the Navy and Marines are.

There would be significant reluctance among members of both services to go that route IMHO.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 PM

4,322 posts, read 7,025,524 times
Actually the Navy doesn't use Marines on ships for security anymore. The Navy has a rate called Master at Arms (MA) that they have expanded dramatically over the last ten years. MA's perform the Navy's force protection roles now.

The Marines and Navy don't work as closely as they once did. I think the Marine Corps wants to reinvent themselves into a more stand alone branch.

You can still ask any Marine if they know they are in the Department of the Navy and they will tell you..."Yeah, the men's department". Damn Jarheads...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues