U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM

518 posts, read 705,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Actually the Navy doesn't use Marines on ships for security anymore. The Navy has a rate called Master at Arms (MA) that they have expanded dramatically over the last ten years. MA's perform the Navy's force protection roles now.

The Marines and Navy don't work as closely as they once did. I think the Marine Corps wants to reinvent themselves into a more stand alone branch.

You can still ask any Marine if they know they are in the Department of the Navy and they will tell you..."Yeah, the men's department". Damn Jarheads...

Forgive me if I'm wrong...but I thought the Navy had what they call Shore Patrol (SP),...is this not correct?
I've seem to remember they had this back on my days (70's).

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM

4,197 posts, read 6,533,175 times
Shore Patrol is just a position in which a watch-stander is assigned to monitor the behavior of the ships crew while on liberty in port (normally foreign ports). It's not a full time job or rate, just another position on the watchbill.

Last edited by LBTRS; 01-07-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 PM

4,083 posts, read 3,565,488 times
Gen. Turgidson: Mr. President, if I may advise, under Condition Red, it is standard procedure that the base be sealed off, and the base be defended by base security troops. Any force trying to enter there would certainly encounter very heavy casualties.

Gen. Faceman: General Turgidson, with all due respect for your defense team, my boys can brush 'em aside without too much trouble.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:16 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,939,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Who said it is a 'a "bad" job'?

The article you referenced is about stress, and the job is not the most stressful. There are four other AFSC's more stressful than Security Forces. But different people deal with various military jobs differently...

Yeah i know that

I am saying that because everywhere in the internet, people are saying its a bad job and looked down upon

Old 01-07-2014, 03:48 PM

1,991 posts, read 1,796,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Yeah i know that

I am saying that because everywhere in the internet, people are saying its a bad job and looked down upon
Then you might want to listen. Or not. if you want to do the job what does it matter?

I'm in Comm and we have two former SF people in our Flight. They hated it, absolutely hated it. But, there are a lot of people in my unit who have been in SF for years and really do enjoy it. I think it depends on your mentality. If you are close to a Reserve or Guard base, you can go out for a drill weekend (depending on the recruiter) and kind of tag along for a day. You might not get the gist of the whole job, but you can sure tell a lot by talking to the BTDT's in the squadron/flight.

Other service members typically dislike SF, MA's, or MP (depends on the branch of service) because they bust up your parties with underage girls, or pull you over when you speed on base, etc. Even in a place as authoritarian as the military, the people with more authority are seen as the enemies.

Yes, the Navy relies less on Marines now and has greatly increase the MA rate as was mentioned earlier in the thread. This really started to take hold around 2003/2004 as I was getting out of the Marines. Or at least thats when I noticed it.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 PM

2,738 posts, read 3,996,915 times
Marines who guard stuff for the Navy only guard high priority stuff..

1.) Comm and intel centers.
2.) Nuclear Weapons.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:52 PM

6,944 posts, read 5,682,841 times
Navy master at arms, are not the security force for the navy, but are the ones that act as housekeepers, etc.

The navy has a security force, that is called SEALS.

But as far as security on a base, or ship, that is handled by who ever draws the duty.

A good example, I was stationed in Hawaii at the big base at Barbers Point for a while during Korean War. I was being trained on the paper work, to take over the cargo department of the Air Terminal at VR-21. V stands for Air, R stands for transport. We were the base between the Orient and and Hawaii handling air transportation between those two destinations. As I had not gone on duty yet, they assigned me the Job as Security Chief that night as I had the duty that night. Security handled our section of the base, protecting our planes, (we had a large number of big transport planes parked along the ocean front, the hanger where we had our squadron office and took care of some of the maintenance, and our Air Terminal. I had a squad of men both Marines and Sailors that had drawn duty that night. Everyone was armed with locked and loaded M1 Carbines. I carried a . 45 pistol on my hip.

Each man carried a clip board hanging from their belt that laid out their duties. We were to stop everyone and everybody as they say that came near the planes, etc. They did not want some saboteur to sneak in and destroy the planes or facilities. When someone approached, the clip board instructed them to call halt (and be identified), if t hey did not stop, to fire a warning shot over their heads, and if they did not stop to shoot them.

There was a Lt. in charge of the mechanics, who though that stopping was not good for him and his men, so he told them not to pay attention to us and just drive through. I knew where he would be coming with his jeep, and I had one marine and one sailor ready. I personally called halt and they did not stop so I called help and as they kept going, we all three fired a shot out over the ocean. Two rifles and one .45 make a lot of noise. They stopped and I ordered them out of the jeep (the Lt. and his driver), and face down the ground. They heard the shot at the hanger, and the Officer Of The Day happened to be the Executive Officer (came down with another officer in a jeep) to investigate. They got there while the two men were still on the ground and with guns pointing at them had just got close to identify them. When we told the Exec what had happened, he just said "good thing they stopped when they did or we might have shot them".

Next morning at morning muster, the commanding office told the whole squadron about the night before. We could see the Maintenance Officer, and he was waiting for us to be chewed out. Instead the C.O. said, "Remember we are at war, and we shoot saboteurs if they do not stop. If when someone does not stop, remember you are to fire a warning shot before you shoot them." That was all he said. After that the mechanics and everyone else would stop as they drove into the plane zone, and identify themselves before moving on in.

That was the only time, I got to be Chief of the watch. Two days later, I went on Port and Starboard Duty, which means one 24 hour period on, and one 24 hour period off. Then either on or off for 48 hours on Thursday and Friday, and the other is Saturday and Sunday alternating.

Navy does not have a regular guard duty team, that is part of your duty when you are assigned to it.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM

4,197 posts, read 6,533,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Navy master at arms, are not the security force for the navy, but are the ones that act as housekeepers, etc.

The navy has a security force, that is called SEALS.
Huh? That information couldn't be more wrong...

Or maybe it is just dated based off of your accompanying story.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:18 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,094,730 times
At least this job has a definition. You don't have to want to be a cop, MP, or even what I am (Safety Officer) for people to think that you like telling others what to do. Many don't even know what you job even is! You're there to protect the interests of material, structures, and people. Dust off your "white" hat; you're one of the good guys.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM

1,079 posts, read 853,375 times
Anyone holding an M-4 (MWS) might be thought of as a grunt with a gun, when I was a kid, I always thought the Red Berets we're cool. But, think about this, after your contract has been served, you'll become a Vet, you'll come home with a Active Clearance and maybe even a T/S (SCI) full scope Clearance, you'll get your college degree, maybe make a ton of money working for US Govt, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Banc 3, L-3 and other US companies. And the stories that will last a life time. Question- Why not try- out for the Para's? why not jump off the edge of the shelf? just saying.

Good Luck Trooper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues