U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM

1,079 posts, read 834,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLiB1992 View Post
I'm enlisted and scheduled to leave April 30th. I'm going in for Security Forces.
Army, from a good old dog,
It's called Ship Date, and you're going to love it, have fun writing letters in the dark, Have some fun classing up weapons, the shoot-house, shooting (small shot groups) with you're M-4 (MWS) Carbines.

Have some fun doing PT score cards and basically getting dirty and living large, I always thought of BCT and my A company, 2d Battilon, 13th Combat Infantry Regiment as a school for Rock Stars. lol.

Knight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 PM

28 posts, read 23,368 times
Long hours, training on your day off. Standing around for the majority of the day doing nothing, the fact that they eat their own. No thanks. Was an augmentee for five months and hated it. Never seen such a low retention rate, and how many people hated their jobs. Don't get me wrong, I would love to work Investigations, just not LE or Security.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
Default Help!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe81 View Post
I was prior Security Forces. I was also an instructor at the Tech School. I'll touch on a few points and if you have other questions I'll respond to those.

1) You put down Security Forces willingly so I guess thats the sort of lifestyle you want. You'll get to shoot lots of guns and throw grenades and things of that sort, especially in Tech School. You'll mostly be responsible for defending an Air Base or possibly convoys when you deploy. When on home station, you'll either be in a Law Enforcement type of role or a security role.

2) Tech School is gonna suck a little bit for you. Not because of the training but because a good portion of the students arent going to have picked it. You've heard misery loves company? Dont let them drag you down and realize that the "real Air Force" isnt like that.

3) DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT put down anything that is Northern Tier on your assignment sheet. These bases include Minot, Malmstrom, and FE Warren. I wouldnt put down Whiteman or Barksdale either. These are whats known as PRP bases. Meaning you have to have a special clearance that allows you to work there. And once you're there...they dont want to let you go. And they can be some of the most miserable assignments in the AF.

I dont mean to come off super negative or anything. Just making sure you dont make a few mistakes that many others do. Go in with an open mind. A lot of Security Forces is what you make of it. Good luck!!!

you were an instructor correct? please help me. i am getting ready to leave for security forces in a couple months. i am very very interested in the security, deployment, combat, FAST, infrantry type of stuff, and not at alllll intersted in LE. i was hoping there was a way where i could do the part of the job like security and combat and gaurding stuff and not having to do LE?

[mod]"This is a message board, so members can reply to you here or via Direct Message"[/mod]

Old 08-23-2014, 08:37 PM

166 posts, read 120,417 times
imbrm, if you want all that high speed stuff you need to join another branch or go PJ/TAC-P. You can do it in security forces but its rare. %90 of the job is boring and routine. Its a large career field and has the lowest entry standards for any Air Force career. The whole thing about eating their young? Theres a reason for it. I've never seen so many chickenhearted whiny cry babies in my life. I spent close to 10 years in security forces. I met some amazing people and had some fun but its full of a bunch of wanna be go no where do nothing REMF.

PRP bases will eat your soul.
Women, especially attractive ones, rule the back office.
Want to know what its like? Check out the facebook pages for security forces humor/confessions.
Good luck.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 234 times
Hey, so jersey boy here and im looking into SF. Part of me feels like if i want to be a state trooper when i get out after my time in the military SF is the way to go. But as far as being boring and dull , what type of things do you do ? im really comming down to joining AF instead of the other branches but when it comes down to it is SF really all they make it seem in the website? With law enforcement, missile defense , and the other one forgot what it was called. Anyway i guess what im trying to say is , is Sf really what they make it seem on the Air Force website . SOMEONE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME. if so or not please tell me what is a better position in the SF career

Old 03-23-2017, 10:57 PM

2,777 posts, read 7,735,864 times
Yes, it can be, for a select few people.

Missile defense sounds cool, but it would be unimaginably boring, and you're in the Dakotas or Montana, in a giant field, for 24 hours at a time, because that's where we keep the nukes. Do you like snow?

You do some counterterrorism, and some James Bond stuff.

The VAST majority of what you do is base security. That involves checking ID at the gate, responding to suspicious people, responding if there is a breach in a SCIF (areas where highly classified intelligence materials are kept), write traffic tickets, respond to DUIs and vehicle accidents, arrest shoplifters at stores on base, respond to domestic violence in base housing, arrest underage drinkers, drug stings, respond to sexual assaults, etc. They even have daycares and schools on base, and just like in the regular community, you may go interface with the kids for community outreach.

A base is a city in an of itself. They have everything a normal city has, and sometimes have as many as 60,000 people working on them. You do everything a normal cop does. It's just a normal cop job, with the possibility of doing a few things that are cooler than your civilian counter parts.

You can also do AF OSI (google it), but if you want to be a state trooper it might not be the right fit. OSI is more like FBI than beat cop.

AF is the way to go!

Old 03-24-2017, 04:04 AM

262 posts, read 73,381 times
There is also this.

https://www.google.com/amp/foxtrotal...1749129320/amp

I ran I to a few of these guys before they enjoyed their job. But again it's not a common career field in sure there is some sort of competitive selection process.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 234 times
Dealing with some of the fools in Tech School will make you feel like you're dealing with kids. Especially if you're older. Good luck![/quote]

But are all SF jobs how the website makes it seem? if so how is it the same if not how is is different .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues