Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 12,277 times

Advertisements

I'm currently enlisted in the ANG and have been offered a commission. With AMS and the tech school it will be nearly 9 months long. At first I was pretty excited because being enlisted for 12 years, becoming an officer was always a goal. I have a really good civilian job and the company I work for has a great military support policy, but I still think being gone this long could have a negative impact for it being voluntary. I'm starting to have second thoughts about the commission and considering turning down. I maybe overthinking this... Long-term it would be great to retire as an officer and I'm sure it would open other doors.

Any advice or different perspectives? Anyone go through similar scenario in their career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Is there any possibility of going full time guard after the commission? See if you can find that out b/c if that is something you'd be interested in, it can be an option for you.

I have nothing else to add but wanted to suggest it in case you had not thought about it.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Is there any possibility of going full time guard after the commission? See if you can find that out b/c if that is something you'd be interested in, it can be an option for you.

I have nothing else to add but wanted to suggest it in case you had not thought about it.
Thanks, but not interested in full-time military position. I enjoy the occasional TDYs and the weekend a month, but in the civilian world I work in IT and it pay's a lot better.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:02 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Go for the commission, me thinks your employer will understand your absence and continue to support you.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
I'm sure there is someone in the comm. shop that could answer some of your concerns as to whether it would be a good decision to go in that direction. As to what your employer will think, that is a long time to be gone but I'm surprised that this issue hasn't been raised before - whether it was voluntary or not. If it's a 'flying' commission, it would be an obvious choice.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:24 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
There are advantages to being an officer in both the civilian and military worlds.

However, there are downsides too, the chief one being that you are an officer for life and can be recalled to active duty up until age 75, I think. If the Air Force is like the Army, you can't even resign your commission. The Army has not accepted those since 1990.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Seems like you like your civilian job. You need to start talking more to your HR dept...Generally officers deployment more than the enlisted. The questions that HR might not be able to answer is if there's a promotion opportunity, will you get it? On the otherhand, if there's a round of layoffs, will you get to keep your job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues