Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:24 PM

141 posts, read 429,394 times

Advertisements

Where we live at has been declared a disaster area and so much paperwork has been lost or destroyed. My S-d has those big black crates and green knapsacks full of info but he hasn't been able to come home,so I have been set with teh task of trying to find out info and dig up his papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:10 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnincorporatedResident View Post
... His commanding officer wrote a letter for him (On military letterhead) stating that he was not on duty when the accident occured. ...
That says it all.

You said that his CO wrote it 'for' him. LOL

It was written against him.

Young folks always seem to think that they are bullet-proof. But they are not.

On Active-Duty every injury, every disease, every ailment is mission related even if you were on leave.

But part-time reservists, well that is another story indeed.

If his CO had said that it was somehow his mission, or that he was ordered to go do that.... ; but he did not. So, being there, and being injured was not due to his job.

I tell kids to stay away from the reserves. If your interested in the military, then go into the military. This part-time junk has too many exceptions.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
He is not covered by tricare under those circumstances. He would have to be covered by his private insurance carrier. However, I still don't know why Geico won't process a claim. Let us know what happens!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnincorporatedResident View Post
The lawyers he retained just sent a letter from the other guys insurance saying that the Feres Doctrine applies and that they can no longer help him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It sure seems like there is something amiss.

I would try another attorney... Perhaps Pro Bono if possible or who charges a percentage of the settlement which can be a large percentage.

I would also contact the insurance company again...

Rich

Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the info forest, but I wrote it correctly his commandiing officer wrote the letter for him. The superior (vehicle #2) says in his statement to the MP's they they were on duty and it was just a simple accident. The letter states that my s-d was not on duty and had not registered with Ft. Stewart yet. He visited while on break from his monthly duties (just trying to stay ahead I guess). It (letter from CO) was sent to Geico after they said the Feres Doctrine applies. My step-dad has nearly 19 yrs. combined service Active duty and Nat. Guard, i'm pretty sure he doesn't feel bullet-proof. and has known what he was getting into with each.
I really want to help with this situation but as a civilian I keep getting lost. I have been told to refer to the UCMJ and base legal but I have limited privilages. I'm only able to actually "talk" to my s-d once a week, other than that it's email and i'm really getting frustrated.

Last edited by UnincorporatedResident; 10-16-2009 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-18-2009, 05:12 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
It doesn't only matter if he was on duty, what is more important was if the person at fault was on duty. You can't sue someone in the military for injuries that they cause or damage that they cause while they are performing their duties. Even if he was off duty, if the other person was, the Feres Doctrine MIGHT apply. If the person at fault was active duty, but not PERFORMING official duties, my understanding is that it does not apply. It's more about the person that is the target of the lawsuit, as far as the Feres Doctrine.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 AM

Default Update

The arbitration was on 11 Dec and SD just got the results.

The insurance comapny has to return the 1K deductible and retroactively apply points to my SD's insurance rating (even though he is with USAA now) and he is still stuck suing the actual officer that hit him. He was told by his lawyer that they will only sue for the car payments he has been stuck with (just over 5K) and the retainer for their services.

The Medical he was stuck paying was based on his status not being updated in time as he had just gotten placed at FT. Stewart.

Thanks for those that tried to help and for the great lawyer refferal~~you know who you are~~ Many Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues