Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times

Advertisements

No, it'd be like sending the Mafia to war, they'd be useless, to busy fighting
and killing each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 03:10 PM

141 posts, read 329,984 times
I happen to have a little brother that made a court-ordered commitment to the military. He decided to get himself into some serious problems before he turned 18. The judge gave him a choice.....military of our choice or the prison of our choice. He decided on the military. He loved it and made a lifetime commitment. He is one of the greatest men I have ever known and one of the greatest models for turning your life around that anybody else has ever known.

If I didn't think he'd whoop my hiney for telling his name I'd give it to you and let you google him.

I believe that this theory could work. It worked for him why couldn't it work for someone else. Give them a chance. Maybe it's what some of them need to get away from these gangs. Maybe they want an out.

I'm going to tell you one of my family member's (NOT MINE) opinions. Load all of the criminals up, fly them over there, give them a gun and turn them loose. Let's see how long our wars last then.

I do not agree with this opinion entirely. But, why not give them a second chance. That's what parole and probation are aren't they?

Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,993 times
The gangs have ruined their communities , keep them away from the military .

Old 10-18-2009, 06:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbottomkidok View Post
I happen to have a little brother that made a court-ordered commitment to the military. He decided to get himself into some serious problems before he turned 18. The judge gave him a choice.....military of our choice or the prison of our choice. He decided on the military. He loved it and made a lifetime commitment. He is one of the greatest men I have ever known and one of the greatest models for turning your life around that anybody else has ever known.

If I didn't think he'd whoop my hiney for telling his name I'd give it to you and let you google him.

I believe that this theory could work. It worked for him why couldn't it work for someone else. Give them a chance. Maybe it's what some of them need to get away from these gangs. Maybe they want an out.

I'm going to tell you one of my family member's (NOT MINE) opinions. Load all of the criminals up, fly them over there, give them a gun and turn them loose. Let's see how long our wars last then.

I do not agree with this opinion entirely. But, why not give them a second chance. That's what parole and probation are aren't they?

Your post sounds as phoney as a $3 bill !

I find it hard to believe your 17 year old brother was heading to---prison-- and was given the oprion of the military.

Exagerate much ?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Your post sounds as phoney as a $3 bill !

I find it hard to believe your 17 year old brother was heading to---prison-- and was given the oprion of the military.

Exagerate much ?

I do not exaggerate at all marmac. I am very proud of him. He was given the option because of his age. That's what happens when a fight gets out of control, alcohol is involved, and there's no parental guidance. He found the structure he needed in the military. And lives a very happy, successful life now.

It is your choice to believe me or not. It does not matter. This is real life and my opinion of the military is one of high regard. I wouldn't taint it for whatever reason you believe I have.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
I still don't believe that a 17 year old ,who committed a serious enough crime to warrant--prison--, would have been given the option of joining the military in lieu of going to--prison.

There is a difference between--jail-- and prison.
You used the word--prison

Old 10-19-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I still don't believe that a 17 year old ,who committed a serious enough crime to warrant--prison--, would have been given the option of joining the military in lieu of going to--prison.

There is a difference between--jail-- and prison.
You used the word--prison
I am sorry marmac........you are right jail is not prison. I'm not sure if a sentence of 10-15 is considered prison or jail time. I am no expert. Isn't jail local and prison state?

Regardless, why all the offense you seem to have taken with me? Have I done something personally to you? If I have I am sorry.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/ny...pagewanted=all

Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Good post macjr!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
They already are, and it is going to become a greater threat in the streets of this country.

Quote:
Gang members with military training pose a unique threat to law enforcement personnel because of the distinctive military skills that they possess and their willingness to teach these skills to fellow gang members. While the number of gang members trained by the military is unknown, the threat that they pose to law enforcement is potentially significant, particularly if gang members trained in weapons, tactics, and planning pass this instruction on to other gang members.
Gang Members in the Military - National Gang Threat Assessment 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues