U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:37 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,158,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I do see one major problem with this:

In the military you HAVE to have soldiers you can TRUST. While it sounds appealing to throw these young, healthy thugs into a war to protect the country they pi$$ on, most of them would be a detriment.
When they get to that outpost in Afghanistan you'll be amazed at the Unit Cohesion and Spirit they develop. I was a thug from North Philly when I went in the Army and a Drill Sergeant between my tours in Vietnam. I'd rather have them than the spoiled offspring of the rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,880,432 times
Vileck Germany has had a problem w/ gang soldiers getting in fights. Army needs to filter these guys out. Put them in a war zone, and you'll find all kinds of war crimes occurring, imo. Our country isn't that desperate to use thugs in the Army.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 AM

3,711 posts, read 6,722,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
When they get to that outpost in Afghanistan you'll be amazed at the Unit Cohesion and Spirit they develop. I was a thug from North Philly when I went in the Army and a Drill Sergeant between my tours in Vietnam. I'd rather have them than the spoiled offspring of the rich
Good for you and your growth in a structured environment. IMO there's a big difference between an unorganized thug and organized crime families, which is the essence of many gangs today.

I dare say today's club gangstaz are perhaps more dedicated to their gangs than to anyone else. That exclusionary clause will surely include their brothers and sisters in arms.

As for the spoiled offspring, IMHO all the young (and spouses, unless in divorce court) of all members of congress who vote up, prez & vp & all cabinet (and let's toss in all zarr [sic] offspring now, too) kids, all scotus justices, to include 1st cousins and aunts and uncles, should in the first wave of any military action taken with or without congress' involvement.

In other words, Chelsea and Hillary Clinton should have been in the under-protected suicide mission in Somalia.

I believe that when the spoiled elites have an actual stake in what are often otherwise reckless, careless, and ill-conceived actions that get our guys and gals killed, maimed, burned, traumatized, head-injured, and otherwise in the way of harm, the very least "leadership" can do is lead by example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Vileck Germany has had a problem w/ gang soldiers getting in fights. Army needs to filter these guys out. Put them in a war zone, and you'll find all kinds of war crimes occurring, imo. Our country isn't that desperate to use thugs in the Army.
Amen. Their loyalty is to their home boys, an oath means nothing more than it means to many presidents and other elected officials. The gangsters are a law enforcement issue, military memebers have enough to deal with in a war zone without individuals of questionable motive or goals carrying deadly weapons.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,880,432 times
In the military, commanders often spend 90% of their time dealing with 10% of their soldiers who have some sort of issue (domestic violence, drug/alchohol problems). Allowing thugs will add more to the commander's workload when they should be dealing w/ their actual mission.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:32 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,420,901 times
My, my, very hot topic this one..

Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM

804 posts, read 2,398,177 times
I hate it when we get thees little punks in fresh from boot and think they are a 'badass'.. the good ones learn real quick there gangbanger BS doesnt fly here the rest get beat until they get discharged or figure out they need to change.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,550,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
At least they would be doing something more positive.
NO.

We had enough problems when I was in during the 90's. There was gang or "gang-like" activity, then, and it wasn't pretty.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,638,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I still don't believe that a 17 year old ,who committed a serious enough crime to warrant--prison--, would have been given the option of joining the military in lieu of going to--prison.

There is a difference between--jail-- and prison.
You used the word--prison

I know of several youths headed to prison who were given the choice of military service instead, it is not uncommon. Works sometimes and sometimes they end up right back in trouble. This has been going on for years although it was happening less during peace time, but is now being used more often.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 AM

175 posts, read 261,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I know of several youths headed to prison who were given the choice of military service instead, it is not uncommon...but is now being used more often.
I guess I have a lot of trouble believing that they are using it now more often. The last year and a half they have had plenty of recruits. They aren't hurting for people and in fact have even turned down people who only have a GED instead of a high school degree. So I can't really see them choosing to let go of those people only to let in someone otherwise headed to prison.

Like I said before, I disagree with allowing this to happen. We hear of enough crimes that sometimes happen within our troops, we don't need to raise the chances of that happening by letting people choose between military or prison. Yes, SOME of those people use it to better themselves but it's not fair to those who are NOT criminals to take the chance that they'll instead use it to increase their skills in breaking the law and hurting others.

The military should NOT be used as a dumping grounds for criminals. In my opinion, it's a privilege to serve and that shouldn't be disrespected by turning it into some kind of equivalent to prison time.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,027,348 times
Default No military for these savages

I don't think these maggots are good enough for the military. They should be tried as "domestic terrorists" and co-conspirators for committing such. All of them should be penalized for the worst crime that any one of them have committed. If any one of them has caused the death of another, not only will that one be immediately executed, but they all will as co-conspirators.

This is a period of human history were this plague must be eradicated. Time to get medieval on these savages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues