U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 38,254 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

I recently decided to join the AF and am now at the point where I need to make a list of jobs I am interested in. I have read about all the jobs online but if anyone knows anything about these that can give me their honest opinion about them I would really appreciate it!

Jobs I think i'd be interested in: Personnel, logistics plans, dental, aviation resource management, command post, knowledge operations management.

I am 24 years old (female) and already have a bachelors degree but was told my GPA from college (3.3) was not high enough to enter as an officer. So now I need to pick an enlisted job that I think I will enjoy doing. At least until I can apply for OTS. Anyone have any jobs in the Air Force that they just absolutely love? I don't really have much interest in anything that has to do with flying, mechanics or electronics.

Also if any females can tell me anything about being a female and going to BMT I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Nicole
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,419,134 times
Here you go,

Air Force Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors

The bases
Air Force Bases

Keep in mind the deployment tempos for jobs of your consideration. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,258,360 times
You might want to take a look at jobs that require a security clearance
(1NXXX, etc). It will provide you a route to higher paying jobs if/when you get out.

Secondly jobs that transfer well into civilian life. I don't see the command post job as one of those.

FYI going the officer route once you're in the service is much more difficult. There is a lot of competition for the small number of slots made available for enlisted folks.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,047,855 times
Logistics Plans is a great job for getting a clearance and for future employment. It is a clean office job out of the elements.

Probably the best out of that list for potential.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 PM

302 posts, read 1,394,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleBM85 View Post
Hey Everyone!

I recently decided to join the AF and am now at the point where I need to make a list of jobs I am interested in. I have read about all the jobs online but if anyone knows anything about these that can give me their honest opinion about them I would really appreciate it!

Jobs I think i'd be interested in: Personnel, logistics plans, dental, aviation resource management, command post, knowledge operations management.

I am 24 years old (female) and already have a bachelors degree but was told my GPA from college (3.3) was not high enough to enter as an officer. So now I need to pick an enlisted job that I think I will enjoy doing. At least until I can apply for OTS. Anyone have any jobs in the Air Force that they just absolutely love? I don't really have much interest in anything that has to do with flying, mechanics or electronics.

Also if any females can tell me anything about being a female and going to BMT I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Nicole

In order to become an officer you need to go through the selection process. Whoever told you that based on your gpa you will not be able to become an officer isn't really giving you good advice. I suggest that you apply anyways and see if you're selected.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 AM

39 posts, read 279,862 times
Also, if you're truly interested in going officer, I would make sure you're talking to an officer recruiter not an enlisted recruiter. They would obviously try to defer you to the enlisted side!

My wish list looks similar to yours! Something that helped me: After I went through all of the descriptions I put down everything that sounded somewhat interesting to me. This list was made up of about 20 different jobs. I then went through that list and re-read the descriptions and searched for more in depth information on each job, and categorized by things that were important to me. Things such as job satisfaction, time to go to school, deployment rates, school lengths, training that will transfer well into the civilian world etc etc etc. Whatever is important to you I then narrowed it down to a list of about 12 and asked my recruiter about them and got her take on them, and then I asked her if she had emails or phone numbers of people that were directly in those career fields to get a better understanding of what they did from day to day and the good and the bad. After that I was able to rank the jobs on my interests.

I feel this was a good way to go because you don't want to be stuck on one job. You want to be open to a few jobs because you will select 5 to put on your dream sheet and you will most likely end up with something from that list. You don't want to be devastated if you don't get your first pick.
Good Luck to you whatever you decide!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 AM

2,058 posts, read 4,309,858 times
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

Thanks!

Nicole
Why not apply for commissioned officer in the Navy, Marines, Army or Coast Guard? The Air Force is Great and you will enjoy it. However, joining as an enlisted, will result in spending an entire 4 year enlistment figuring out how to get commissioned. IMHO, with a college degree, it's better to be a commissioned officer in another branch, than enlisted in the Air Force.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Why not apply for commissioned officer in the Navy, Marines, Army or Coast Guard? The Air Force is Great and you will enjoy it. However, joining as an enlisted, will result in spending an entire 4 year enlistment figuring out how to get commissioned. IMHO, with a college degree, it's better to be a commissioned officer in another branch, than enlisted in the Air Force.
I tend to agree.

On the other hand it can be difficult to choose a career in the military. There are a lot of factors involved and the military changes, different duty assignments can be, well, "different" and the individuals personality can have a large affect on their enjoying or not enjoying the military...

Rich

Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,087,914 times
Quote:
I don't really have much interest in anything that has to do with flying, mechanics or electronics.

Why are you joining the Air Force again? Seriously, every single job has something to do with planes, electronics, or paper work. I suppose you could just be a pencil pusher somewhere but that will not translate to a good outside job however, if you're just looking to screw around until you get to become an officer, I suppose you'll find something.

I was an air traffic controller for six years and the job wasn't too rough plus we got lots of cut time. I recall often only working four days a week. I now make 100,000 a year and am not even in the FAA. This job is awesome.

Jobs you will want to avoid as they are annoying, long hours, and suck would include crew chief, load master, weapons, and police. The only things I can think of that you might enjoy would be base operations, command post, and maybe food preparation/serving. And those jobs might still have long hours (12 hour shifts). Be careful what you pick as most jobs have something to do with flying, mechanics, or electronics.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 AM

3,258 posts, read 7,860,155 times
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

Thanks!

Nicole
Nichole, my cousin is about to go in to the Air Force upon graduating high school, and is interested in training as a Physical Therapist. She was told she would be eligible based on her ASVAB score, she chose a few jobs she was interested in, they told her she just has to wait for an opening for the one she wants. What field is you Bachelor's Degree in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues