U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,221,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hardy View Post
I don't know why my name appeared instead of my alias kasota. I'm just not used to posting to this forum.
Go settings and list your AKA name under the first custom user name.

Then stroll down to info toward the bottom of the page.
remove your name from this line.
It states right above the line... "Make sure you want to make your name public before entering it here."
this should fix it....... I think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 12:06 PM

121 posts, read 303,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hardy View Post
jichy &jksa09 -I also knew Ann Eikenberry and her parents Harriet and Joe. We lived in the next building and their yard actually faced ours. We were in 38-A. Do you remember their dog Ollie? Our parents have been lifelong friends. She was a few years older than I was and I got her hand-me-down clothes. My favorite was a Pea Coat that she had outgrown. Are either of you active on the Torrejon and Royal Oaks Facebook pages? There are some great pictures and the sites are very active!

Hey Chris,
I don't remember Ann's dog or her parents. I closed my facebbook accounts when the privacy issues were brought up.
We moved into ROAKS in 1968.
Ann was part of a group of us that would get together and build an underground fort and would create Matchbox "cities". Using mud, we would build houses, roads and all the infrastructure of a city. We all had so many Matchbox cars and trucks, we had the fire stations with all the trucks and ambulances, fields with tractors, a camp ground with campers, etc...
We were all about 8-9 years old at the time, about 1969.
We lived in 60A until late 1970. Our driveway was part of the fire lane that started up by the Fruteria on the high road and went thru to the low road.
We moved to Las Torres in town, when dad was assigned to Daharan Saudi Arabia, and moved back stateside when his stay in Saudi was done in 1972.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,689 times
Default Royal Oaks Elementary 1964-1965

My name is Michael Bennett. My father was stationed at Torrejon from 1963-1965. I went to first and part of second grade at Royal Oaks Elementary. My first grade year was 1964-1965 school year. Does anyone have photos from that time frame? I'm writing a book about my childhood and would love to find some old photos.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:59 PM

9 posts, read 19,447 times
@norjope - Your description of Ms Fisher reminds me of my third grade teacher Miss Fansler. She was very strict about how to behave when we were lined up, after lunch or recess, to head back to our classroom. She dug those sharp fingernails of hers into your shoulders and forced you to face forward, with no talking, and everyone else standing at attention before leading us back to class. She gave me nightmares!

She particularly hated me for something I said on my first day. We had moved to Spain in Jan so I was new to her class. She invited me to eat my lunch with her in her office to get to know me a little. She had those black Cat's Eye glasses on and I said that she reminded me of my grandmother. I didn't mean to insult her, I was barely 8, but she never forgot it!

When I was in fifth grade I had to bring something to the second and third grade building. She stopped me at the front door and with disdain said to another teacher that, "This is the one who thought I looked as old as her grandmother!" Now, that's not what I had said, but it was what she had heard. Miss Fansler was very strict and stern teacher, I think she was just lonely, but she was probably the teacher that you were remembering! I know I'll never forget her!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:07 PM

@Michael0108 - Have you tried the "Royal Oaks Elementary School - Madrid, Spain" group on Facebook? There are lots of pictures posted there. There is also a Yahoo Group with pictures. I was there from Jan 1969- Dec 1972 so my pictures probably won't be what you're looking for.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Hey Chris,
I don't remember Ann's dog or her parents. I closed my facebbook accounts when the privacy issues were brought up.
We moved into ROAKS in 1968.
Ann was part of a group of us that would get together and build an underground fort and would create Matchbox "cities". Using mud, we would build houses, roads and all the infrastructure of a city. We all had so many Matchbox cars and trucks, we had the fire stations with all the trucks and ambulances, fields with tractors, a camp ground with campers, etc...
We were all about 8-9 years old at the time, about 1969.
We lived in 60A until late 1970. Our driveway was part of the fire lane that started up by the Fruteria on the high road and went thru to the low road.
We moved to Las Torres in town, when dad was assigned to Daharan Saudi Arabia, and moved back stateside when his stay in Saudi was done in 1972.
I know exactly where you lived and probably played Matchbox with you guys. At the bottom of the Eikenberry's driveway was a scary old tree and next to that was that little creek that ran next to the La Moraleja fence. I always made my mud house with a parking lots on the roof for my cars. Once I think we even had an award for the best house. It was fun until it rained.

The forts we used to build were up behind the Eikenberry's building. We lived in 38-A which actually faced the Eikenberry's, we were just at the bottom of the hill they lived on. If you rolled a ball in their yard it would drop over the little stone wall into our yard. We moved into Royal Oaks around April of 1969 after a stint at the Aitana in Madrid.

So you probably remember the Green boys (all their names started with a D), Daniel was closest to your age. The other downstairs unit in our building is where Peter and Stevie lived. I played with the boys half the time and with the girls the other half. I even attended a slumber party in the unit above yours. The mother was one of my Girl Scout leaders.

I remember you boys talking about the movie "Green Slime" once. The way you described it scared me enough to never want to see it. Anyway, I'm sure we played neighborhood games together, when I wasn't playing dolls, I played tag football, kick the can, smear the ... And everything else with the boys. Besides we had a great playground on your side of the Low Rd! We sure were lucky to have lived there!

Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Go settings and list your AKA name under the first custom user name.

Then stroll down to info toward the bottom of the page.
remove your name from this line.
It states right above the line... "Make sure you want to make your name public before entering it here."
this should fix it....... I think?
Thanks for trying to help. I was unable to change anything!

Old 09-05-2014, 04:10 PM

I know exactly where you lived and probably played Matchbox with you guys. At the bottom of the Eikenberry's driveway was a scary old tree and next to that was that little creek that ran next to the La Moraleja fence. I always made my mud house with a parking lots on the roof for my cars. Once I think we even had an award for the best house. It was fun until it rained.

The forts we used to build were up behind the Eikenberry's building. We lived in 38-A which actually faced the Eikenberry's, we were just at the bottom of the hill they lived on. If you rolled a ball in their yard it would drop over the little stone wall into our yard. We moved into Royal Oaks around April of 1969 after a stint at the Aitana in Madrid.

Yes, you are right about the bottom of the driveway, we also stayed at the Aitana before moving into the Oaks. If I remember correctly, Tim Fox and Sarah Fox also live close to your unit.

So you probably remember the Green boys (all their names started with a D), Daniel was closest to your age. The other downstairs unit in our building is where Peter and Stevie lived. I played with the boys half the time and with the girls the other half. I even attended a slumber party in the unit above yours. The mother was one of my Girl Scout leaders.

Yes, I think everyone knew the Greens, Dougie, Donnie, Dennis, Darrell, Daniel, etc.........They went to Wright-Patterson in Ohio after Spain, a family that moved into our subdivision from Ohio, knew the Greens, They finally had a little girl, what Mrs. Green always wanted, named her Dana
The people upstairs from us were the Hendersons, Dean, Nancy and a younger girl, can't remember her name. They were Mormon and could not drink sodas, which I thought was strange at the time.

I remember you boys talking about the movie "Green Slime" once. The way you described it scared me enough to never want to see it. Anyway, I'm sure we played neighborhood games together, when I wasn't playing dolls, I played tag football, kick the can, smear the ... And everything else with the boys. Besides we had a great playground on your side of the Low Rd! We sure were lucky to have lived there

Green Slime at the Oaks theater, SO COOL!!! Admission 75 cents, popcorn 25 cents for a small, 75 cents for a large with butter! Saw many Saturday morning matinee movies. We did not have a TV.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 PM

4 posts, read 8,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Cathy Tanner lived across the high road from the Fruteria, I knew Sarah, Ricky, Andre and Greg from Torrejon Middle School, 6th and 7th grade, 70-71
Wow, you knew a lot of the same kids! My name is Steve Starnes -I have a picture of me, Sarah, Ricky and Ricky's girlfriend who lived in the unit below us. (don't remember her name)

Will look for it and post later...

Old 09-27-2014, 01:12 PM

Yes, I did know a bunch of "kids" from the Oaks and the Middle School.
Your name sounds a bit familiar. I may have met you back in the day.
That was a LONG time ago.
Would love to see your picture posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues